At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
carlislemike
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Feb 2009, 8:34pm
Location: Forest Hill, London

At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby carlislemike » 19 Aug 2019, 5:54pm

Simple question: Could I get away with a bike on a train, uptown Central London[Charing Cross] at 05.35? The station ticket clerk said, probably. I have a guess at 05.35, not many will be commuting up to Central London from Catford or is it just a silly risk? Need to commute over to London Victoria for a train out to Lewes and don't want the more obvious journey to E Croydon-Lewes as it will be by 9.30 then filling up with travellers to Gatwick. I'm talking mid week not weekend.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14745
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby mjr » 19 Aug 2019, 5:59pm

Peak time bike ban only starts at 0700 on that route. See https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/t ... ard/cycles
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5955
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Sweep » 19 Aug 2019, 7:53pm

Possibly something I haven't taken into account, but I am in those parts as you may have guessed.
Wouldn't it just be far less hassle to cycle from catford to Victoria?
It's not difficult, a fair number of bus lanes and cycle lanes including one of the latter which takes you all the way, segregated, from the oval to victoria.
Sweep

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14745
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby mjr » 19 Aug 2019, 9:08pm

Sweep wrote:Possibly something I haven't taken into account, but I am in those parts as you may have guessed.
Wouldn't it just be far less hassle to cycle from catford to Victoria?
It's not difficult, a fair number of bus lanes and cycle lanes including one of the latter which takes you all the way, segregated, from the oval to victoria.

Maybe less hassle but takes twice as long?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5955
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Sweep » 19 Aug 2019, 9:17pm

Had the impression mike was going to train it to charing cross, then ride to victoria. I doubt that would be faster. Then there are travel upsets.
The bike is if course a wonderful way of getting round london :)
Sweep

User avatar
tykeboy2003
Posts: 1050
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 2:51pm
Location: Swadlincote, South Derbyshire

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby tykeboy2003 » 20 Aug 2019, 6:55am

On a rare visit to The Smoke on saturday, I saw a lad with his road bike sitting in a regular seat on the tube. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5955
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Sweep » 20 Aug 2019, 7:23am

Somewhat off topic, but you can actually and quite legally take a bike on a fair bit of what is popularly called the underground out of peak hours.
Even now.
Posted by someone who once transported an office desk on the deep tube - those innocent days.
Sweep


carlislemike
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Feb 2009, 8:34pm
Location: Forest Hill, London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby carlislemike » 20 Aug 2019, 1:09pm

Right, thanks for that one and all. I'm trying the train route only for need of speed to Charing X. After that it's the pedal to London Victoria. Cycling the whole way is fine on a decent day and with plenty of time. On Sunday last, I was caught in an absolute deluge on the return leg from Victoria. Not a planned for rain event having read the Met Office and BBC websites the night before. As I've a 50-60 miles trip after the Victoria train, I was planning to save a few more elements of energy for that.

Re bikes on tubes; yes, have done that and it's ok as long s it's not a deep tube line. The Hammersmith and City line for one and at least, on the Central Line, from Essex into at least Stratford and on he District Line in from Upminster as least as far as Whitechapel[ to date, for me] but that's my limited experience recently. 40+ years ago, I was able to use most tube lines, without fuss, after 09.30 and no one batted an eyelid.

hanks again for advice and comments, Mike

mercalia
Posts: 12382
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby mercalia » 21 Aug 2019, 7:40pm

carlislemike wrote:Right, thanks for that one and all. I'm trying the train route only for need of speed to Charing X. After that it's the pedal to London Victoria. Cycling the whole way is fine on a decent day and with plenty of time. On Sunday last, I was caught in an absolute deluge on the return leg from Victoria. Not a planned for rain event having read the Met Office and BBC websites the night before. As I've a 50-60 miles trip after the Victoria train, I was planning to save a few more elements of energy for that.

Re bikes on tubes; yes, have done that and it's ok as long s it's not a deep tube line. The Hammersmith and City line for one and at least, on the Central Line, from Essex into at least Stratford and on he District Line in from Upminster as least as far as Whitechapel[ to date, for me] but that's my limited experience recently. 40+ years ago, I was able to use most tube lines, without fuss, after 09.30 and no one batted an eyelid.

hanks again for advice and comments, Mike



You can take a circle line tube, with a bike, out of peak hours. CharingX = Embankment tube ->Victoria. Saves a bit more time

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47846
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Mick F » 21 Aug 2019, 7:55pm

Put your bike in a bag.
It's then luggage, and not a bike.

I took mine on the Underground in a bag on a number of occasions. It's just a big bag.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5955
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Sweep » 21 Aug 2019, 9:55pm

mercalia wrote:
carlislemike wrote:Right, thanks for that one and all. I'm trying the train route only for need of speed to Charing X. After that it's the pedal to London Victoria. Cycling the whole way is fine on a decent day and with plenty of time. On Sunday last, I was caught in an absolute deluge on the return leg from Victoria. Not a planned for rain event having read the Met Office and BBC websites the night before. As I've a 50-60 miles trip after the Victoria train, I was planning to save a few more elements of energy for that.

Re bikes on tubes; yes, have done that and it's ok as long s it's not a deep tube line. The Hammersmith and City line for one and at least, on the Central Line, from Essex into at least Stratford and on he District Line in from Upminster as least as far as Whitechapel[ to date, for me] but that's my limited experience recently. 40+ years ago, I was able to use most tube lines, without fuss, after 09.30 and no one batted an eyelid.

hanks again for advice and comments, Mike



You can take a circle line tube, with a bike, out of peak hours. CharingX = Embankment tube ->Victoria. Saves a bit more time

Have you ever travelled on the circle line mercalia. Long waits followed by a slow trip. Faster by bike I'm sure. This is generally true in london, even on longer trips. I cycle south east london to eastcote sometimes. 25 miles. It's hardly faster by the tube route I can take with the bike.
Sweep

mercalia
Posts: 12382
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby mercalia » 22 Aug 2019, 8:58pm

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
carlislemike wrote:Right, thanks for that one and all. I'm trying the train route only for need of speed to Charing X. After that it's the pedal to London Victoria. Cycling the whole way is fine on a decent day and with plenty of time. On Sunday last, I was caught in an absolute deluge on the return leg from Victoria. Not a planned for rain event having read the Met Office and BBC websites the night before. As I've a 50-60 miles trip after the Victoria train, I was planning to save a few more elements of energy for that.

Re bikes on tubes; yes, have done that and it's ok as long s it's not a deep tube line. The Hammersmith and City line for one and at least, on the Central Line, from Essex into at least Stratford and on he District Line in from Upminster as least as far as Whitechapel[ to date, for me] but that's my limited experience recently. 40+ years ago, I was able to use most tube lines, without fuss, after 09.30 and no one batted an eyelid.

hanks again for advice and comments, Mike



You can take a circle line tube, with a bike, out of peak hours. CharingX = Embankment tube ->Victoria. Saves a bit more time

Have you ever travelled on the circle line mercalia. Long waits followed by a slow trip. Faster by bike I'm sure. This is generally true in london, even on longer trips. I cycle south east london to eastcote sometimes. 25 miles. It's hardly faster by the tube route I can take with the bike.



Yes i have. Normally Victoria to Aldgate to get to the Metropolitan Line that I can also take my bike on all the way to Ruislip or Rickmansworth. Though cant say I have ever been in a hurry. I also normaly would do it in the day. Long waits? Cant say I have ever experienced that maybe just lucky. Better than breathing all the muck in. Where is Eastcote near on the tube network? Unlike you I am not a pocket rocket

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5955
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby Sweep » 22 Aug 2019, 11:05pm

mercalia wrote: Where is Eastcote near on the tube network? Unlike you I am not a pocket rocket


er, Eastcote is near/at Eastcote on the tube network mercalia.

It has its very own tube station - Eastcote - metroland.

Takes me two hours south east London to my pal's a bit beyond the tube station.

Can't take the Picadilly line there as the central bit is deep tube so with the bike I take the other line - and if taking it back arrive back home feeling dead so plodding it is.

If in those parts mercalia do visit the very nice Greenwood Hotel Spoons.

Complete with bouncy ballroom bar.
Sweep

mercalia
Posts: 12382
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: At what time can I get away with a bike on a train in London?

Postby mercalia » 23 Aug 2019, 10:26am

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote: Where is Eastcote near on the tube network? Unlike you I am not a pocket rocket


er, Eastcote is near/at Eastcote on the tube network mercalia.

It has its very own tube station - Eastcote - metroland.

Takes me two hours south east London to my pal's a bit beyond the tube station.

Can't take the Picadilly line there as the central bit is deep tube so with the bike I take the other line - and if taking it back arrive back home feeling dead so plodding it is.

If in those parts mercalia do visit the very nice Greenwood Hotel Spoons.

Complete with bouncy ballroom bar.



have a doze? I see is near Ruislip, never stopped off at Eastcote, anything there of interest?If you have never been to Ruislip lido/lake that is worth a ride around - go there on a hot sunny day when the local belles and lads will be out on the beach. There is a nice pub on the far side and a nice ride around the lake, also some nice off road hard dirt tracks leading off it.