Taken out by flatbed truck

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LeicaM4

Re: Taken out by flatbed truck

Post by LeicaM4 »

Ivor Tingting wrote:From what you've writ it sounds like the driver tried to kill you, it wasn't just a momentary lapse of attention or poor judgement. I would get a GoPro or similar and start filming the dangerous sections of your ride. If you can afford a Leica M4 you can afford a couple of GoPros. Also get an Airzound. They are bloody good and work. Carry a D-lock just in case any of these motons decides to get out and take a pop at you.

And make sure the plod follow up the possibility of CCTV footage pronto. They didn't when I was hit and run despite me subsequently discovering a flock of cameras less than 1/4 mile away from where I was hit shortly after which without doubt would have recorded the car passing by fractions of seconds before it knocked me down and did not stop. I was livid that plod closed the case after about 10 days for lack of evidence. You might have to do a bit of leg work yourself as plod are generally useless. Good luck.

Many thanks for your post and yep I think I will get myself one I've always resisted the urge to put more kit on the bike, I ride a croix de fer and carry enough already what with a rear rack for my cameras etc and tbf never thought I'd need one in spite of seeing plenty of evidence to the contrary and my own experiences. It's been five days since the incident and I'm starting to think this may end up as yours did with eventual contact saying what yours did. I do sympathise with them, they have been decimated for resources and carry ridiculous workloads so as a consequence they provide a poor service. I will post outcome on here but as each day passes I suspect the outcome will not be as I'd wished.

The go pro will go on the list but after the major parts damaged by this [rude word removed], nice to see someone who recognises the LeicaM4 unfortunately never been wealthy enough to own one merely lusted after.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

LeicaM4 wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Sounds horrific! I don’t want to ‘rub salt into the wound’, but, surely you could have avoided it happening at all. You say that you saw the lorry pulling out, so why not slow down? Always assume that you either haven’t been seen, or are being ignored, maybe he misjudged your speed? If I read it correctly, from your description, the lorry was swinging out from your right, and going in your direction of travel, you seem to have carried on riding, into an ever diminishing space! The vehicle would have travelled in an arc towards your side of the road and then straightened up; did he aim it at you, or was the trailer simply travelling along the arc? Why keep going, if you were already on the ‘very edge of the highway’? I’ve every sympathy with your plight, but, surely self preservation trumps ‘right of way’ every time?

Just to clarify, I had just about passed this junction when this vehicle entered the carriageway, the were no vehicles travelling towards me. He aimed his truck at me, I was initially 2-3 ft from the verge edge as he accelerated alongside me and onwards, he continued to narrow the gap until it had gone completely, this carried on until his rear third of the wagon hit my handlebars and took me out.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame me for this incident and not the psycopathic driver intent on injuring me.

Not blaming you!! Just wondering if it could possibly have been avoided?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Phil Fouracre wrote:
LeicaM4 wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Sounds horrific! I don’t want to ‘rub salt into the wound’, but, surely you could have avoided it happening at all. You say that you saw the lorry pulling out, so why not slow down? Always assume that you either haven’t been seen, or are being ignored, maybe he misjudged your speed? If I read it correctly, from your description, the lorry was swinging out from your right, and going in your direction of travel, you seem to have carried on riding, into an ever diminishing space! The vehicle would have travelled in an arc towards your side of the road and then straightened up; did he aim it at you, or was the trailer simply travelling along the arc? Why keep going, if you were already on the ‘very edge of the highway’? I’ve every sympathy with your plight, but, surely self preservation trumps ‘right of way’ every time?

Just to clarify, I had just about passed this junction when this vehicle entered the carriageway, the were no vehicles travelling towards me. He aimed his truck at me, I was initially 2-3 ft from the verge edge as he accelerated alongside me and onwards, he continued to narrow the gap until it had gone completely, this carried on until his rear third of the wagon hit my handlebars and took me out.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame me for this incident and not the psycopathic driver intent on injuring me.

I (obviously) wasn’t there and wouldn’t wish to judge. There is a question in my mind as to whether the flat bed driver saw you or not; there is a possibility of not (seen) as field of views out of cab trucks aren’t always good and (making awareness harder) an approaching cyclist is relatively small, and then if actually seen whether he had the ability to judge your speed.

Being right but also being in either Hospital or the Mortuary isn’t ideal. I really hate accidents (even if you were in the right they’re still loads of work and agro, and potentially injury too) so I constantly look to see how they can be avoided. Such avoidance sometimes means making quite large allowances (including compensating actions when required too) for the errors, stupidity and incompetence of other road users. No blame just observations and questions.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
LeicaM4

Post by LeicaM4 »

Carlton green wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:
LeicaM4 wrote:

I (obviously) wasn’t there and wouldn’t wish to judge. There is a question in my mind as to whether the flat bed driver saw you or not; there is a possibility of not (seen) as field of views out of cab trucks aren’t always good and (making awareness harder) an approaching cyclist is relatively small, and then if actually seen whether he had the ability to judge your speed.

Being right but also being in either Hospital or the Mortuary isn’t ideal. I really hate accidents (even if you were in the right they’re still loads of work and agro, and potentially injury too) so I constantly look to see how they can be avoided. Such avoidance sometimes means making quite large allowances (including compensating actions when required too) for the errors, stupidity and incompetence of other road users. No blame just observations and questions.

I hope this makes what i have already stated clear, this individual was waiting on a minor junction, he was turning right onto a major carriageway, visibility was excellent it was a sunny clear day, I had passed the junction when he moved onto carriageway, he drew level with me momentarily I could see into his cab via nearside window. There were no vehicles approaching from my direction of travel, he then drove his vehicle in the manner I have previously mentioned so I will no repeat myself.

He has a duty when entering a major carriageway from his location to make sure it is safe to do so, he should also take account of other vehicles cycles etc at that time already on this road, he had seen me and decided he would take me out, i have no idea why he did this, nor I suspect will I ever find out as I do not hold much faith in the investigation. This individual did not kill me through luck and massive good fortune on my part, I trust this clarifies your confusion.
ssomeinre

Post by ssomeinre »

Hi,
I had an almost identical incident at almost the same location - hope it's not a worrying trend. I was heading in the same direction as the OP and had passed the entrance to Clipper warehouse where a curtain side artic was waiting. He let me pass then turned out behind me at which point he squeezed alongside & clipped my bars with the rear of the trailer knocking me off. Luckily I was just a little dazed and no worse. I didn't manage to get any details, although a passing white van man witnessed the incident & took off in pursuit.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

LollyKat wrote:Deliberate assault. :x

I had the same with an Arriva bus 5 weeks ago, luckily no contact made but deliberately aimed their weapon at me, police haven't even contacted me back :twisted:
Had similar a couple of years ago and both Arriva and police lied about there being no CCTV on board the bus, they are bent as.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Carlton green wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:
LeicaM4 wrote:

:twisted:
typical victim blaming carp, as opposed to minding your own business and being assaulted with a knife/blunt instrument on the footway/path, do you also say same with regards to women for walking down a certain street on their way home/destination if they get raped for not walking down another street that isn't part of their route where they also might get raped? And it's not an 'accident' it's a ABH assault.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Carlton green wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:

:twisted:
typical victim blaming carp, as opposed to minding your own business and being assaulted with a knife/blunt instrument on the footway/path, do you also say same with regards to women for walking down a certain street on their way home/destination if they get raped for not walking down another street that isn't part of their route where they also might get raped? And it's not an 'accident' it's a ABH assault.

Actually it’s not victim blaming at all, well it certainly wasn’t intended to be, and I do view what happened to the victim very seriously - it’s outrageous IMHO. However I stand by my pragmatic words and the explanation of them.You might also see that I said: No blame just observations and questions.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Carlton green wrote:Being right but also being in either Hospital or the Mortuary isn’t ideal. I really hate accidents (even if you were in the right they’re still loads of work and agro, and potentially injury too) so I constantly look to see how they can be avoided. Such avoidance sometimes means making quite large allowances (including compensating actions when required too) for the errors, stupidity and incompetence of other road users. No blame just observations and questions.

Carlton mate, I suggest you stay off the roads. These "accidents" might happen to you one day - follow my advice, it's the only way to avoid them for sure.

Stay safe!
pwa

Post by pwa »

If we all just take a deep breath and think about our own approach to our own cycling, we can all agree that the account in the OP has the lorry driver 100% to blame for creating a very dangerous situation. But at the same time we all go out armed with defensive tactics to get us out of the trouble that others may create. I have no idea whether or not I would have been able to steer or brake my way out of the bad situation created by that lorry driver. I would try, but either way, the lorry driver would still be the one who made the problem. I think we can all agree on that. Can't we?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pwa wrote:If we all just take a deep breath and think about our own approach to our own cycling, we can all agree that the account in the OP has the lorry driver 100% to blame for creating a very dangerous situation. But at the same time we all go out armed with defensive tactics to get us out of the trouble that others may create. I have no idea whether or not I would have been able to steer or brake my way out of the bad situation created by that lorry driver. I would try, but either way, the lorry driver would still be the one who made the problem. I think we can all agree on that. Can't we?

Plus one. Agreed.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

ssomeinre wrote:Hi,
I had an almost identical incident at almost the same location - hope it's not a worrying trend. I was heading in the same direction as the OP and had passed the entrance to Clipper warehouse where a curtain side artic was waiting. He let me pass then turned out behind me at which point he squeezed alongside & clipped my bars with the rear of the trailer knocking me off. Luckily I was just a little dazed and no worse. I didn't manage to get any details, although a passing white van man witnessed the incident & took off in pursuit.

Perhaps the driver has mastered the art of clipping the handlebar and no more, and now takes pride in deliberately tipping cyclists. I've often been impressed by how well some (most?) HGV drivers know the exact dimensions of their vehicles and can fit through spaces with clearances I'd hesitate to try in a small car. A sufficiently twisted mind could easily misuse such a skill.

It could be a sport to him - no damage done (to the wagon), nobody (deliberately) killed, and maybe even something to joke about with his anti-cycling mates. If he ever gets caught, "well, officer, I couldn't see that part of the vehicle at the time, the cyclist must have swerved."

ETA: If I'm right and he ever does get convicted, it would be a good reason for a life ban - sneaky and malicious is much harder to cure than careless.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Suggesting that the OP could have avoided the incident is, however its worded, arrogant and annoying.
The OP posted with a specific request not asking for lame advice on how to ride a bike. :evil:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Revolution wrote:Suggesting that the OP could have avoided the incident is, however its worded, arrogant and annoying.
The OP posted with a specific request not asking for lame advice on how to ride a bike. :evil:

Well said.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Revolution wrote:Suggesting that the OP could have avoided the incident is, however its worded, arrogant and annoying.

I think the suggestion was probably well intended, but yes, not well timed. All experienced road cyclists build up a repertoire of defensive measures that we dip into when someone else on the road puts us in danger, so that is a valid and useful thing to talk about. But it would have been better to have left that discussion to another time when it could not so easily have been taken as criticism of someone who had just been substantially wronged by another road user.