Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Postby Bmblbzzz » 19 Feb 2020, 4:04pm

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:Ah, the bins! I know some streets where the council have issued wheelie bins to folk living in houses accessed up steep narrow steps, with no driveways and the only place they can leave the wheelie bins is on the narrow pavements.

When I lived in such a house I refused to accept a wheelie bin.

It may be a passing problem because with changing recycling routines some Local Authorities have done away with them. Ours has.

Done away with wheelie bins? Interesting! What do you now have instead? Black bags are hardly an improvement, if at all, in terms of pavement space and definitely a downgrade in terms of litter strewn by foxes, gulls and so on. Perhaps the best way would be if we stopped producing so much rubbish (oh dear that would mean consuming less).

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Feb 2020, 4:12pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

It may be a passing problem because with changing recycling routines some Local Authorities have done away with them. Ours has.

Done away with wheelie bins? Interesting! What do you now have instead? Black bags are hardly an improvement, if at all, in terms of pavement space and definitely a downgrade in terms of litter strewn by foxes, gulls and so on. Perhaps the best way would be if we stopped producing so much rubbish (oh dear that would mean consuming less).

In my area they were not done away with, I just refused one.

At least one could keep a black bag in kitchen or the back yard, just putting it out on bin day. Hauling the bin up the steps and through the house was a worse option. Certainly I did and do produce as little rubbish as possible.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 19 Feb 2020, 4:13pm

Lots of new estates have no pavements, problem solved, simples (-99)
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Feb 2020, 4:27pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Most of the "rubbish" is now "recycling" in dedicated sacks (emptied and left). But the non-recyclable rubbish is black bag. Which compared to wheelie bins has the virtue of not having to sit on the pavement all week if you have a home where dragging it up a drive or path is not possible. It only has to sit on the pavement for a short time.

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 Feb 2020, 4:28pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
pwa wrote:It may be a passing problem because with changing recycling routines some Local Authorities have done away with them. Ours has.

In my area they were not done away with, I just refused one.

At least one could keep a black bag in kitchen or the back yard, just putting it out on bin day. Hauling the bin up the steps and through the house was a worse option. Certainly I did and do produce as little rubbish as possible.

Can't fault that.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 19 Feb 2020, 5:43pm

Mike Sales wrote:In my area they were not done away with, I just refused one.
I live in a hilly area with old housing as has been described. When wheely bins were introduced people with access difficulties were given the option of a bin or black bags. The bags are supplied by the council.

I have no such problems so have wheely bins, but my normal landfill stuff amounts to about the size of a football every 2 weeks, so I just put out a bag for the bin men. Easier and quicker for them than trundling a bin around with almost nothing in it.

Some of the people with access difficulties have chosen to have bins. On bin day it is almost impossible to use the footway on those roads because the space not occupied by cars is blocked with bins. I avoid walking those roads because I have had motorists cross the road to drive at me because I have the temerity to walk in the road.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 19 Feb 2020, 6:09pm

Hi All, My memory of a great bin is the type that was set into the back yard wall, needed a special hook for the bin-men to extract it to empty!
The men wore leather gillets to allow them to carry the bin on the shoulder to tote it to the lorry. Never saw a "Bin-Lady"?
Never needed to crawl out bleery eyed to get things out for the wagon, far less waste as well!
Only good thing I can offer in favour of the Wheelie Bin is that after proper dismantling with the ubiquitous hacksaw it is quite hand to dispose of a cadaver :shock: . Can't say "Bin there, done it, got the T-shirt" :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

P.S. A few things have kept up with the obesity crisis? Clothes, Sofas, Umbrellas and Cars.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 19 Feb 2020, 6:31pm

the bin men once upon a time used to go round the back to your bin and take out the bag of rubbish, you din't have to put the bin out yourself. That was when we had mostly back to back terraced housing. Yet again like in many other areas where there has been no standards set from the start, the problem is we have so many different types of housing which don't have proper provision planned at the er planning stage for things like rubbish removal. I actually think the building regs have been downgraded in some cases as I'm certain the first new house that my parents bought was designed with certain standards in mind. One been that a hard standing area was provided for the rubbish bin. And knowing the estate builder as I do, as a cheapskate bodge it and scarper, I can't imagine that he volunteered to add the concreted base for the bin, for every house on the estate. So I conclude it was a planning requirement. Most owners dug it up decades ago but anyway.

Pavement parking is unlikely to be banned any time soon because of the high number of older properties without off road access. Narrow roads means that cars encroach the footpaths. So if pavement parking was banned it would mean with typical modern cars being wider than 40 years ago, one side would be banned from parking all together to allow unfettered access to fire appliances which are quite wide. Politicians aren't going to enrage the car owning masses, even students now seem to need a car, back in my day less than about 1 in 40 had one which is why students developed the ritual of "how many students can you fit in a mini" annual bash.

Maybe the only solution to the rubbish problem in terraced houses and flats will be to have a network of rubbish pipes installed to add to the water, gas, electric and phone services. Much stronger, deadlier rubbish mashers/macerator/grinder fitted to the end of a 6" pipe going to each house so you can just tip anything upto the size of an unwanted mattress can be disposed of. maybe. That would solve the problem of the elderly or disabled having to cart rubbish bins or bags through their house onto the front street. Councils spend fortunes on bin collection so thumbs up from them. :lol:

Irony and stupidity aside, the problem with this and most other countries is the lack of forward planning and joined up thinking. Maybe we need a few major shifts in public attitude. 1. Parliament term to be increased to 10 whole years. This will allow more long term thinking as politicians don't have to think about re election so often, but doing their job. 2. To compensate for the longer terms, the voting system changed to proportional representation thereby reducing the horrors of a bad government getting in with actually less than 50% of the votes, and doing untold harm, safe in the knowledge they have 10 years to bodge it and scarper. If coalition governments result than this WILL be more democratic to start with anyway as a government will have to agree with a greater range of people over matters. 3. A comprehensive review of what we all really want and how to get it without boogieing up the environment. This will have to start as a massive open educational project. Stop gutter press and vested interests from unfair and undue influence and thereby poisoning the minds of the public against great ideas etc

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 19 Feb 2020, 8:00pm

One trouble with bags and bins (whether wheelie or old-fashioned haul-over-the-shoulder) is that a lot of people in central areas have no (or insufficient) yard or garden to keep them in. Leaving a bin on the pavement can cause an obstruction, but does not generally cause mess. Leaving a bag on the road causes probably less obstruction but does cause mess when dogs, foxes, gulls get it or it gets kicked and torn, etc.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 19 Feb 2020, 10:30pm

pwa wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:My 2001 Passat which has sat in my 1970s block garage since Oct '17 fits in no problem, in fact I can put bikes down the drivers side with the car in there though I have the wing mirrors in either side to maximize space with it being a storage locker :lol: The width - 1740mm, is 5.6cm less than a brand new Mercedes Benz A Class, however that goes up to an additional 15cm by the time you're at the S-class 'long' which is 1906mm wide.

My son has a '16 plate Dacia Duster which is 1806mm, 1825mm for the latest Focus, 1809mm for the latest Astra, for the vast majority of cars there's no excuse on the older garages being too narrow narrative, it's simply down to laziness and anti social behaviour.

I haven't gone round measuring other people's garages but mine won't take our Golf without it being a struggle to get out. I did park in there when we first moved in and had old Karrimat on the wall in case the door touched it. Opening the boot resulted in the lid (estate) touching the garage door. But I also came to the conclusion that cars rust more when put away damp. Parking outside seemed to me to result in less rust. Either way, the garage mutated into a DIY workshop / bike store.

You don't need to measure people's garages but we know that the standard block garage is a standard size width/height, the ones on the estates that were built in the 70s which are massively prevalent across the country are by far the most numerous.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 20 Feb 2020, 10:38am

fullupandslowingdown wrote:the bin men once upon a time used to go round the back to your bin and take out the bag of rubbish, you din't have to put the bin out yourself. That was when we had mostly back to back terraced housing.

I don't think you mean back to back housing - there would be no back for the bin men to go round.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 20 Feb 2020, 10:47am

back to back in the sense that behind one row of houses was a small yard with a privvy, and then a central path running all the way along and then the back yard etc of the next row of houses,You would have been able to string a 30' clothes line from your top window to your opposite neighbours. As apposed to more modern housing where back yards are bigger with room for perhaps car parking or a garden, and a bigger alleyway, and you'd run your clothes line only to the end of your property. I didn't mean back to back in the sense of been built directly against one another.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 20 Feb 2020, 4:45pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:I didn't mean back to back in the sense of been built directly against one another.

But that is what the term means.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 20 Feb 2020, 6:59pm

Pete Owens wrote:
fullupandslowingdown wrote:I didn't mean back to back in the sense of been built directly against one another.

and there are a good number still about - Leeds for example has many streets worth near the University.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Feb 2020, 7:11pm

foxyrider wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:

A back-to-back is where one house backs directly onto another, and if it is a terraced house it will therefore only have windows on one wall, the front. The back and side walls are shared with neighbours. I have been in one such house and it was quite claustrophobic. It was only one room deep, of course, because any rooms not on the front would have no windows.

I know people have in recent decades called Coronation St style terraces "back-to-back" but that arrangement of terraces backing onto alleyways is not what the term was created for.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2904011