Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by Postboxer »

You just schedule the ban to start in the future, so people have notice and time to make arrangements and councils etc have time to plan car parking in other places. Or maybe ban it for people moving to a street or people getting a new car?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Postboxer wrote:You just schedule the ban to start in the future, so people have notice and time to make arrangements and councils etc have time to plan car parking in other places. Or maybe ban it for people moving to a street or people getting a new car?

Right again Postboxer
Simples, lots of dual carriageways are quiet at night, plenty of space to park in the first lane, plus ten minutes healthy walk home after :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Postboxer wrote:You just schedule the ban to start in the future, so people have notice and time to make arrangements and councils etc have time to plan car parking in other places. Or maybe ban it for people moving to a street or people getting a new car?

Right again Postboxer
Simples, lots of dual carriageways are quiet at night, plenty of space to park in the first lane, plus ten minutes healthy walk home after :wink:

The problem with night time only parking is people then feel trapped into driving to work because their car can't stay there all day while they walk or cycle or bus or train.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simples, they can leave it there, a whole lane in each direction is still free
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RichK

Post by RichK »

I can't see this one happening with the current government. Too much opposition from the association of bad drivers and the car lobby in general.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It isn't going to happen in Wales because it will take too much organising. There will have to be exceptions because of the legacy of narrow residential streets with no alternative parking, but identifying those streets and creating the legal recognition, with signage, will be tediously slow when other similar improvements, such as changes to speed limits, already take an age. I don't know why these things take so long to happen but they do.

As already suggested, where there really isn't room for parking on particularly narrow residential streets, but parking is needed, removal of the token footpath and the creation of a shared space is probably the best compromise. But it requires very low vehicle speed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5756318 ... 6?hl=en-GB
This is the sort of street I mean. There is no real alternative parking within reasonable distance. There is no through traffic, so the only cars and vans are locals or their visitors wanting access. Shared space seems most practical. You have to imagine wider vehicles like bin lorries and fire engines wanting to get past.

Here is a variation on the same theme nearby. Cars not parked on the pavement but can you guess what the bin lorry has to do when it goes up this street? If it were a shared use space I think it would work better. It is just a mess as it is.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5740214 ... 6?hl=en-GB
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Plenty of those streets in England too.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Should have posted this yesterday, all of the posts relating to shared space have been moved to "shared space" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135754#p1448015
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The Ask The Police website says "It should also be noted that unless you are accessing your property via a lowered kerb driveway, it is an offence to drive on the pavement even for a short distance.". Any vehicle parked on the pavement has driven on it to get there and will drive on it to get off it so it would seem they've broken the law to do it.

Of course all pavement parking should be banned unless it's required for a short period for deliveries or it's the easiest way to get a disabled person into a vehicle.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:It isn't going to happen in Wales because it will take too much organising. There will have to be exceptions because of the legacy of narrow residential streets with no alternative parking, but identifying those streets and creating the legal recognition, with signage, will be tediously slow when other similar improvements, such as changes to speed limits, already take an age. I don't know why these things take so long to happen but they do.

As already suggested, where there really isn't room for parking on particularly narrow residential streets, but parking is needed, removal of the token footpath and the creation of a shared space is probably the best compromise. But it requires very low vehicle speed.

This is the sort of street I mean. There is no real alternative parking within reasonable distance. There is no through traffic, so the only cars and vans are locals or their visitors wanting access. Shared space seems most practical. You have to imagine wider vehicles like bin lorries and fire engines wanting to get past.

Here is a variation on the same theme nearby. Cars not parked on the pavement but can you guess what the bin lorry has to do when it goes up this street? If it were a shared use space I think it would work better. It is just a mess as it is.

The streets in those pictures should be double yellow lined to ban parking altogether.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:It isn't going to happen in Wales because it will take too much organising. There will have to be exceptions because of the legacy of narrow residential streets with no alternative parking, but identifying those streets and creating the legal recognition, with signage, will be tediously slow when other similar improvements, such as changes to speed limits, already take an age. I don't know why these things take so long to happen but they do.

The streets in those pictures should be double yellow lined to ban parking altogether.

If those car mirrors are as close as it appears the pavement has long been useless :evil:
You park somewhere else and walk to your house.

Parking on pavements when no other car is on the street is now has now for some time been acceptable norm of $%&* drivers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

You speak as someone who can afford to have a house with a drive. Not everyone can.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

We could always go back to tree lined streets, which would be rather nice. I live in a Grove. So called because of the many trees. Dutch Elm disease killed them all. I have asked for them to be re-instated but told that it would cause difficulties for the cars that wanted to park on the pavement. There you go. :roll:
pwa

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
pete75 wrote:

If those car mirrors are as close as it appears the pavement has long been useless :evil:
You park somewhere else and walk to your house.

Parking on pavements when no other car is on the street is now has now for some time been acceptable norm of $%&* drivers.[/quote
....................................................................................................................................................................................
pwa reply:

I have been up those streets many times and it is my impression that nearly every house has a car, so that is local people deciding for themselves how to do things in their own streets. You can get angry about it because you don't have to live with the reality of a street that narrow. I once had to reverse a minibus with a trailer up the first street so I have been inconvenienced by the parking situation but that is people making the best of a less than ideal situation. It isn't a widely accepted local thing in that area to park on the pavement. You will find nearby wider streets where the pavements are clear.

This is the more common situation locally. I pick Pant Street in Pantygog because I like the names.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6039131 ... 6?hl=en-GB
This is how local people park when they feel they can. Pavement parking in that valley is not the default, it is the exception.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:so that is local people deciding for themselves how to do things in their own streets.

Local car drivers, not quite the same as "local people".

Herd mentality is often the real reason things like that happen.
Even folk who park on pavements will often voice the opinion it should be banned and that's before the non-car owning local people are asked what they think.
If there's a valid reason to park on a pavement then there's a good case to put forward to the local council to allow it.

Anyway taken to extremes you could argue that most 'crime' is local and thus is simply "local people" deciding how to live their lives.