Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just seen a news on guardian about this. Pavement parking is about to be banned, possibly.
rjb

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by rjb »

About time too, but councils and house builders must provide parking for residents which doesn't restrict access especially for emergency vehicles.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's good news - but sadly I think it's not "banned";
councils will be "given the power" to ban it.

But a good start. :thumbsup:

Of course you wonder how the cars get there without - illegally - driving on the pavement, but never mind ...
mjr

Post by mjr »

I didn't find it on the graun, but the original story seems to be merely MPs recommending a ban be introduced. See https://www.parliament.uk/business/comm ... hed-17-19/

“We recognise that implementing a nationwide ban will take time. In the short-term we have said that they Government should make it easier for local authorities to put in place parking restrictions by removing some of the bureaucratic burdens they currently have to contend with. We have also recommended that the Government run an awareness campaign about the negative impacts of pavement parking, to inform drivers about the impact their behaviour has on others.”

This does not seem to be the sunrise we are looking for.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:This does not seem to be the sunrise we are looking for.

I thought that but then the article says:

"The Scottish government has already banned pavement parking in its Transport (Scotland) Bill, and the Welsh government has set up a task force to look at the issue."

Which makes me feel a lot more confident that it'll happen.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was walking the dog the other day along a narrow pavement.
Just here on the right past the gateway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50954 ... 312!8i6656
There was a car parked on the pavement heading on the wrong side of the road. The road is narrowing there and if parked on the road, it would be a hazard maybe.
Dog and me had difficulty passing, so I folded the driver's door mirror in to get past. Hopefully the driver got the message.

We had to squeeze past even then. If someone with a pram or pushchair was trying, they'd have to have gone into the road or crossed it there. Fast corner, even though it's a 30 limit.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

This was in the news and newspapers back in April. Are they regurgitating old news or has some MP mentioned it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'll believe it when I see it :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seems I was jumping the gun. It's just a bit of hot air calling for the ban in England. As usual it might be Scotland then Wales getting it first then England seeing it is popular so copies them late in the day.

I wondered if anyone ever just walked over the top of a pavement parked car if it blocks the way? Would that count add criminal damage?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I was walking the dog the other day along a narrow pavement.
Just here on the right past the gateway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50954 ... 312!8i6656
There was a car parked on the pavement heading on the wrong side of the road. The road is narrowing there and if parked on the road, it would be a hazard maybe.

So they shouldn't park there, then! What's the problem with that?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:Dog and me had difficulty passing, so I folded the driver's door mirror in to get past. Hopefully the driver got the message.

I did this once and the mirror came away in my hand. I wonder if the driver got the message.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote:Dog and me had difficulty passing, so I folded the driver's door mirror in to get past.

How big is your dog??
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote:I wondered if anyone ever just walked over the top of a pavement parked car if it blocks the way? Would that count add criminal damage?

IANAL but I'd say it would. You would need some pretty serious justification to get away with it e.g. building on fire, could not escape due to blocked car.

Not just; "had to step out into road". Or "driver had parked like a drongo"* Sorry )-:

* https://images.app.goo.gl/SXncRYZs1Tc1UYn9A
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Our local masonic lodge all park on the pavement when they meet, I make a point of folding their wing mirrors (without damage) , just to give them the message that they are blocking the pavement.
NUKe

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:Our local masonic lodge all park on the pavement when they meet, I make a point of folding their wing mirrors (without damage) , just to give them the message that they are blocking the pavement.

You need to fold the edges of the mirrors while leaving the middle extended... ;)