Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Postby pwa » 9 Sep 2019, 4:08pm

As I understand it, while putting a couple of wheels on the footway is not generally against the law in itself, causing an obstruction of the footway is. So an immediate improvement could be brought about by having a high profile campaign of enforcement with the police slapping tickets on vehicles that are parked in a way that leaves less than a specified minimum width for pedestrians, pushchairs, blind people with dogs, etc. But it all comes down to having the people to do it.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 9 Sep 2019, 4:20pm

I once saw someone folding mirrors back down a road. The cars were well parked and he was drunk. Not one survived the folding process. As I said, he was drunk and really wasn't able to judge the strength needed to fold them safely. It appeared not to be his intent to break them.

What would be sufficient reason to climb over the car? Assume no way around on the pavement and the road being very dangerous. Would it always need a driver like escaping from muggers or a burning house? What if there was no actual damage?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 9 Sep 2019, 4:52pm

pwa wrote:As I understand it, while putting a couple of wheels on the footway is not generally against the law in itself, causing an obstruction of the footway is. So an immediate improvement could be brought about by having a high profile campaign of enforcement with the police slapping tickets on vehicles that are parked in a way that leaves less than a specified minimum width for pedestrians, pushchairs, blind people with dogs, etc. But it all comes down to having the people to do it.

Many years ago an acquaintance living in the same road as me obtained, somehow, a clutch of those windscreen sticky containers that polis men and traffic wardens use to attach the penalty notice for this or that offense. They are easily recognisable as such, even from a distance. He got up some officious-looking forms and put a-one in these envelopes, which he would stick to the bad parkers' windscreens, particularly those who parked on our pavement or blocking a driveway.

The "penalty notice" had several obvious clues to it being a naughty joke thing but it was surprising how many of the recipients rang up the polis or cooncil to rant a complaint.

They all got wise in that road, eventually. I have often thought of doing the same .... but it's illegal and I yam ever so law abiding.

Cugel

PS They still all parked with no consideration.

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Sep 2019, 4:56pm

pwa wrote:As I understand it, while putting a couple of wheels on the footway is not generally against the law in itself, causing an obstruction of the footway is.

Putting a couple of wheels on the footway may not be illegal, but driving them there is (the same 1800s law as prohibits pavement cycling) and that's how the overwhelming majority of wheels are put there. However, unless there are good witnesses, it's very difficult to punish them for it.

pwa wrote:So an immediate improvement could be brought about by having a high profile campaign of enforcement with the police slapping tickets on vehicles that are parked in a way that leaves less than a specified minimum width for pedestrians, pushchairs, blind people with dogs, etc. But it all comes down to having the people to do it.

And it would require no precedent of people being let off by the courts for some reason that cannot be seen by a ticketing officer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Sep 2019, 5:01pm

Cugel wrote:PS They still all parked with no consideration.

Probably disappointing for those who would consider using something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-JOKE-FAKE ... 1502560643 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Youve-Pa ... 4224169167 (warning: not safe for work or children)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 9 Sep 2019, 5:37pm

mjr wrote:

Probably disappointing for those who would consider using something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-JOKE-FAKE ... 1502560643 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Youve-Pa ... 4224169167 (warning: not safe for work or children)

That is so tempting! I have hidden the money from myself until the lust for these items passes.

Cugel

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Sep 2019, 5:41pm

Cugel wrote:
mjr wrote:

That is so tempting! I have hidden the money from myself until the lust for these items passes.

Cugel

I had some stickers from the Pedestrians' Association saying "Pavements are for Pedestrians."
Quite plain, not imitations of real tickets.
I have used them all, one on a police car.
I too am tempted.
There would be many fewer occasions for their use where I now live.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 9 Sep 2019, 5:44pm

Hi,
Mike Sales wrote:
Mick F wrote:Dog and me had difficulty passing, so I folded the driver's door mirror in to get past. Hopefully the driver got the message.

I did this once and the mirror came away in my hand. I wonder if the driver got the message.

The door was open blocking my path......which I slammed shut.......the driver at the boot of car....gave me a dirty look,I carried on walking.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 9 Sep 2019, 6:22pm

Our road is narrow, with typical turn of the century terraces on oneside and footpath access to properties on the otherside.... parking on properties is non-existent. There's a kind of unwritten acknowledgment, one side parks part on footpath, otherside parks fully on road..... without this there would be no access for larger vehicles / emergency vehicles to properties. Before we start grumbling about paths being blocked to wheelchair users etc., the street itself needs wheelchair accessible dropped kerbs... there's none of those either.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 9 Sep 2019, 6:23pm

Close to where I live is a postal sorting office and I regularly see drivers park on double yellow lines and half on the pavement - definitely a case of two wrongs don't make a right. It's as if they want to be one metre closer to the sorting office... the lazy barstewards.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Sep 2019, 6:25pm

eileithyia wrote:Our road is narrow, with typical turn of the century terraces on oneside and footpath access to properties on the otherside.... parking on properties is non-existent. There's a kind of unwritten acknowledgment, one side parks part on footpath, otherside parks fully on road..... without this there would be no access for larger vehicles / emergency vehicles to properties.

No, without that, half of you would have to park elsewhere like you ought to or risk getting ticketed for obstruction!

Wanlock Dod

Postby Wanlock Dod » 9 Sep 2019, 6:42pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Seems I was jumping the gun. It's just a bit of hot air calling for the ban in England. As usual it might be Scotland then Wales getting it first then England seeing it is popular so copies them late in the day.

Actually I think you will find that whilst this was considered by the Scottish parliament a while ago they actually decided that as long as you didn’t have all four wheels on the pavement it would still be fine and dandy, so don’t expect any real progress any time soon.

gaz

Postby gaz » 9 Sep 2019, 7:25pm

kwackers wrote:Which makes me feel a lot more confident that it'll happen.

:lol:
We've been closer than this before and still not made it across the line.

It made the statute book in 1974, received Royal assent, was never enabled and ended up repealed in 1988.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 9 Sep 2019, 9:08pm

gaz wrote: :lol:
We've been closer than this before and still not made it across the line.

It made the statute book in 1974, received Royal assent, was never enabled and ended up repealed in 1988.

'74 was a very long time ago.
The world is different now, we're beginning to see less tolerance of motard behaviour and pavement parking is rising the ranks of stuff complained about by folk to their MP's.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I hope not and I'm crossing my fingers.

pwa

Postby pwa » 9 Sep 2019, 9:45pm

mjr wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Our road is narrow, with typical turn of the century terraces on oneside and footpath access to properties on the otherside.... parking on properties is non-existent. There's a kind of unwritten acknowledgment, one side parks part on footpath, otherside parks fully on road..... without this there would be no access for larger vehicles / emergency vehicles to properties.

No, without that, half of you would have to park elsewhere like you ought to or risk getting ticketed for obstruction!

Simplistic. Terraced housing is typically in high density housing areas, so parking elsewhere will often mean parking outside someone else's house in someone else's street. The basic problem is these streets were laid out in a pre-car era and folk just have to make do with an imperfect situation. There is no single universally applicable answer to this problem.

Thinking of my own part of the world, I see a lot of streets with all the cars parked tidily, all four wheels on the road. I see a much smaller number of cars parked partly on the pavement to avoid blocking very narrow streets, but leaving room for at least a pushchair to get past. I see a very small number of situations where cars on the pavement would obstruct a pushchair. This suggests to me that there is a general acceptance that blocking the pavement is unacceptable, but there is tolerance of some use of the pavement to enable parking that does not block the road. This is my take on the general climate in this area at present.