Daytime lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brynpoeth

Re: Daytime lights

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Sep 2019, 6:03am

What if all vehicles and cycles had lights, what about PoFs?

Best not to make eye contact, most mortons have their windows shut, cannae hear either, does anyone think they treat cyclists and walkers as equals? Of course not
The solution is to keep out of the way of the terrorists, I do that by taking longer routes, even cycling on the footway, that is not really a problem, nobody walks from A to B :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

drossall

Postby drossall » 20 Sep 2019, 9:57am

brynpoeth wrote:Best not to make eye contact...

Eye contact is often a good way to be confident (not sure!) that someone has seen you. It's particularly useful when "negotiating" for a driver to shield you from behind, e.g. for a right turn.

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Sep 2019, 9:59am

drossall wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Best not to make eye contact...

Eye contact is often a good way to be confident (not sure!) that someone has seen you. It's particularly useful when "negotiating" for a driver to shield you from behind, e.g. for a right turn.

It is really not. The driver who right-crossed me a few years ago looked straight at me, making eye contact, or so I thought. (I was OK. Bike wasn't, but it's been repaired.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Sep 2019, 10:03am

Yes, it's very hard to be sure from a glance at normal traffic speeds that the brain behind the eyes has actually registered your presence.

Or in other words:
I think this "eye contact" business is hugely overrated. No harm in trying it, but don't assume a driver has even noticed you exist, as you stare lovingly and trustingly into their eyes. Love can be blind!

hemo

Postby hemo » 20 Sep 2019, 12:06pm

I made eye contact with the car driver who T-boned me on Wednesday afternoon and was certain he had seen me but obviously not.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 22 Sep 2019, 8:17pm

hemo wrote:I made eye contact with the car driver who T-boned me on Wednesday afternoon and was certain he had seen me but obviously not.

Probably thought you'd seen him so he was OK to go ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Ellieb

Postby Ellieb » 22 Sep 2019, 9:18pm

Or as the conversation went in an incident from my motorcycling days:
"Did you see me?"
"Yes"
"So why did you pull out?"
"I don't really know"
:roll: