And another off.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pete Owens

Re: And another off.

Postby Pete Owens » 6 Jun 2020, 10:55pm

Not comfort to the OP, but it looks like a driver is being prosecuted for a (different) incident at that junction:
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/18488399.motorist-charged-crash-closes-liverpool-road/

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 7 Jun 2020, 12:02am

Does the OP have an update? Really interested to know.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Jun 2020, 11:52am

Pete Owens wrote:Not comfort to the OP, but it looks like a driver is being prosecuted for a (different) incident at that junction:
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/18488399.motorist-charged-crash-closes-liverpool-road/

That is indeed the same junction.

Peter F wrote:Does the OP have an update? Really interested to know.

I think I mentioned this further back.

So basically the woman claimed I was at fault - "not using the cycle lane", "ran into her" etc etc.
Her insurance backed her, my ambulance chasers sent them the footage and on viewing it they immediately agreed 100% liability.
My side estimated realistic damages of £3k, after threats and me signing the court papers the other side agreed £4k (+£700 for bike and helmet).

The police were worse than useless. In fact the anti-cycle nonsense they came up with concerns me greatly.
Initially they didn't take statements, nor view footage. Simply spoke to the driver (ex-police) and then determined there was no case to answer which they informed me of in the ambulance along with a lecture on "not going through lights into the path of a vehicle(?) and being advised to 'ride in the gutter away from other vehicles'.

Some weeks later I complained and the sergeant assigned to the complaint asked for footage which I sent him.
After reviewing it they concluded that I undertook the driver into her blind spot.

I modelled the accident and showed that with 135 FOV (from Fly's spec and confirmed experimentally) it was impossible for the car to ever be in front of me unless it was in the gardens of the houses opposite. I also showed that I was 2m behind the Audi which after it pulled away increased to 3.5m and pointed out that since a Fiesta was longer than this surely trying to fit into that gap at best was careless.

They responded by saying they understood I'm disappointed but their view was that there's no point in prosecutions at this late stage and the incident is best dealt with by insurance.

I then pointed out that I wasn't expecting them to do anything different with regards to the driver but my complaint was with them and how they'd handled it.
I pointed out the relevant documentation on the police complaints site which said I could expect to know how the complaint had been dealt with and how I could appeal and that this would be sent to me. I pointed out that none of this had been forthcoming.

At this point several other people were CC'd on replies and some guy whom I assume was higher up reiterated that they would not be pressing charges against the driver.
I again reiterated the above about the complaint being about the police and since then they've basically ignored all my communications.

So that's it.
I've current given up trying to get anywhere with the police and have happily spent the insurance money on some new toys.
Although every now and again I do get angry when I consider how useless the police have been. As someone who had friends in the force I know how hard the job can be and how crap the public are but tbh I think I'd now happily look the other way rather than help them.

Conclusion.
1. Buy and use cameras - mine have paid for themselves many times. Without them I'd have had the driver and the police gang up on me and would undoubtedly not only have got nothing but if there'd been any damage to the car I'd almost certainly have had to pay out for that too.
2. If you get knocked off seek professional help.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 7 Jun 2020, 1:03pm

Thanks. What cameras do you have.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Jun 2020, 2:33pm

Peter F wrote:Thanks. What cameras do you have.

Fly12 front, Fly6 rear.

Not cheap but video quality is good and lights not bad either.
Other camera's are obviously available and you probably don't need great quality to record an accident although I'd consider how well they perform at night if you ride in the dark since some are awful.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 7 Jun 2020, 4:02pm

kwackers wrote:
Peter F wrote:Thanks. What cameras do you have.

Fly12 front, Fly6 rear.

Not cheap but video quality is good and lights not bad either.
Other camera's are obviously available and you probably don't need great quality to record an accident although I'd consider how well they perform at night if you ride in the dark since some are awful.

Yes, they are expensive. I have been thinking about a camera but I don't want to spend that much. I already have lights and my front is 1800 lumens on the max setting so considerably more powerful.