And another off.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Re: And another off.

Post by kwackers »

So I've heard back from the plods.

Their interpretation of the video is that the driver performed an overtake giving me plenty of room and then I accelerated into her blind spot...

Doesn't really explain why my video never shows her in front of me or why her passenger door drew level before moving left.
I think I can honestly say my respect for Cheshire police has taken a dive.

I thought I had enough cameras having one front and one back but sounds like I need one watching the side as well...
Last edited by kwackers on 31 Oct 2019, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:So I've heard back from the plods.

Their interpretation of the video is that the driver performed an overtake giving me plenty of room and then I accelerated into her blind spot...

Doesn't really explain why my video never shows her in front of me or why her passenger door drew level before moving left.

The usual Cheshire Police craptalk :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Did they explain why it's ok for her to move into her blind spot without checking it, when she had just overtaken?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Or where the 'plenty of room' was when there wasn't sufficient space for her to go between you and the car in front.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Postboxer wrote:Did they explain why it's ok for her to move into her blind spot without checking it, when she had just overtaken?

I have an old fashioned view of overtaking which assumes they've actually moved fully past into a car sized space.
Silly me.

Personally I think admitting they might have got it wrong not only looks bad but opens them up for potential claims etc.
Chuck in the fact she was an ex-copper and their view isn't too surprising.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I thought I had enough cameras having one front and one back but sounds like I need one watching the side as well...

What about a-one o' them drone cams that can be programmed to follow you? It could fly overhead and have a wide-angle lens, to catch the loon coming up behind, going past and then doing another loon in front.

Get one with missiles aboard; or a laser, so you can do away with the loon before they mangle you. Mind, even the Cheshire rozzers might take an interest in a cyclist vapourising car-loons. You could always deny that the drone had anything to do with you, sending a secret signal returning it to base in stealth mode.

Alternatively, await the new Trumplaw that will soon become available in Blighty. As long as you have a million dollahs or so, you will be able to buy any justice you like. Of course, if you are poor, you will be criminalised for being so. Such prisoners will have to work as punishment, probably on a static bike producing electricity for a Trump golf course.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
slowster

Post by slowster »

When I learned to drive, I was taught when overtaking another car that I must not move back in until I could see the front of the car I had overtaken in my rear view mirror. I presume that if that instruction is not explicitly stated in the Highway Code, that it is neverthless contained in the various official guidance on driving standards. There is no good reason for doing differently when driving at low speeds and overtaking a person on a bike.

I cannot see how anyone, let alone the police, could consider that to be anything less than careless driving. Failure to check the position of cyclist like that (either by ensuring you can see them in your rear view mirror or looking over your shoulder) would automatically result in a fail during the driving test.

I suspect the police are viewing such video evidence with the deliberate bias of seeking some reason not to prosecute, because they probably do not have enough resources.

I would complain to the PCC and threaten to go to the local media.

Maybe Cycling UK needs to consider launching private prosecutions in some example cases like this, especially where the force in that area is considered to be simply not doing its job properly. Obviously that is an expensive course of action, but maybe the answer is for CUK to seek crowdfunding for such cases. I think people will be much more willing to donate for a specific case like this one where they can see the evidence for themselves, rather than donate to a more general 'fighting fund'.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If you fancy a laugh.
Here's what they said (if you can figure out the meaning).
HI Steve,
Sorry about the delay getting back to you I have been off work and abstracted for different reasons. I have shown your footage and that of Mrs Colletti’s to one of the traffic Sgts. He has concluded that Mrs Colletti did give appropriate space when pulling passed you and that have accelerated into her blind spot. On this basis the decision will be no further action.

If you have any further questions let me know.

Regards

P.C. 4086 Simon Dadswell

Warrington West Beat Manager

And here's my reply (I don't expect to get a reply to this, he'll be under instruction not to engage - even if I call him a tosser).
Hi Simon,
that's an interesting conclusion.

"Mrs Colletti did give appropriate space when pulling passed you"
"that have accelerated into her blind spot."

So what you're saying is she overtook me giving me plenty of space and then I undertook into her blind spot?
Can you point to the bits of video that show this?

So on my front camera we can presumably see her pull ahead of me - can you tell me where this occurs because I'm having trouble seeing it. Ditto the bit where I'm undertaking her.

It really looks like she not only doesn't complete the overtake but in fact can't overtake because there's no room and in fact only gets the bonnet of her car ahead of me (or does that constitute a full overtake these days?)

I'm not surprised by your conclusion because the alternative - that someone made a mistake and that her informing the attending officers that she was an ex police constable might have had an influence on your decision isn't a great look for you guys.

However I am disappointed though.
I commute 10,000 miles a year between Warrington and Liverpool. I have to put up with folk driving at me, shouting abuse, occasionally throwing things but I do so in the sure knowledge that if something goes wrong you guys will have my back.
Turns out I'm wrong. If she'd jumped a red light you'd have been all over her despite nobody being hurt, but use her car to try to force a cyclist off the road and that's apparently fine.

Cheers for that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Steve
Take it to he police commissioner and chief constable,that seems the best course of action IMO.
After that it's the press.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

H'mmm.... it does sound like the next step is to raise it as a complaint against the police.
Having viewed the video, i can't see any evidence of any increase of speed on your part... and I'm troubled by the fact that it's only one officers' view.

...perhaps the driver is the wife of prominent Mason?.....
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

You need to take this further: There is no way the video supports that interpretation. You can see from the car ahead that you are just moving the same speed as they are. This stinks. Take it to the PCA.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Police in full of poop shocker, I really, really hope you have the time and energy to make these people actually do their jobs and in fact get these constables investigated, disgusting yet sadly all too common. :twisted:
Graham

Post by Graham »

One would assume that with a [claimed] ex-officer involved that the police would proceed with extreme caution to avoid accusations of bias and corruption.

It looks to me like they are heading for trouble. Their response is staggering : a complete distortion of the filmed event.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

kwackers wrote:Chuck in the fact she was an ex-copper and their view isn't too surprising.

Unfortunately, I suspect it's that bit of info which colours everything else.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

That's not easy to do on cycle especially as the overtaking motor vehicle travel should be faster than you. Clearly these plods have no idea about the energy it takes to ride a bike. Car driver mentality.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.