1.2 million E bikes sold in Germany

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: 1.2 million E bikes sold in Germany

Postby Cugel » 22 Sep 2019, 1:58pm

brynpoeth wrote:They are not available to anyone who wants one, they cost much much more to buy and to run than bwms, bikes without motors, many people cannot afford or cannot thoyle an €bike

That's true of lots of things.

Now, my own list of needful things (needed by all people in a modern society such as that of the UK or Germany) is quite wide. It includes not just oxygen and water but also food, shelter, education, transport and many associated things such as electricity and perhaps a bicycle (e- or otherwise). I must be some kind of pink-livered commie snowflake, eh?

So in my utopia, bikes would be provided free of charge to all, along with the bandages when the users fall off. If a twangle or rot required the cyclist to have some e-assistance, the free bike would be an e-bike.

However, my utopia is not likely to be realised. In fact, there is no common-good provision anymore for even those things initially provided by Clement, such as higher education, decent public transport and many bits of the NHS. Even now, evil neolib Tories are plotting to scupper the remnant of the NHS and have already denied any responsibility for preventing famine amongst the populace. They will soon be enclosing the oxygen and selling it off to the highest bidder (a large and greedy Yank, with several Russian criminal backers).

Now, if only y'all will make me dictator, everything will be perfek within about ten minutes. Even you will be able to try an e-bike!

What is your own solution to the present financial difficulty of buying such a bike suffered by those currently known as "the undeserving poor"?

Cugel

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Sep 2019, 2:56pm

My solution again is mixed tandems with the likes of Cugel pairing with soft girlymen (Term used by Cugel)
I am a girlyman myself and proud of it :wink:
I think the question that must be answered is: what would €bike riders be doing if they were not riding €bikes?
Riding bsms, bikes sans motor?
Driving?
Staying home?
Travelling by bus?
Walking?
Swimming?
At the gym?

Some €bike riders are right girlymen, someone at work (young +fit) got one because he is afraid of sweating on his short easy journey
He uses narrow cycleways where 10 kmh is often plenty
Obviously got too much ca$h, that is a big problem I think, people can thoyle things they do not need :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Sep 2019, 4:44pm

brynpoeth wrote:..

Some €bike riders are right girlymen, someone at work (young +fit) got one because he is afraid of sweating on his short easy journey
Obviously got too much ca$h, that is a big problem I think, people can thoyle things they do not need :?

It's something called free choice.
Obviously some people have more freedom than others,if you have a problem with that refer to Cugel's post above.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Sep 2019, 5:12pm

reohn2 wrote:

Obviously some people have more freedom than others,if you have a problem with that refer to Cugel's post above.

Greta and I and millions of others have a big problem with use of resources, often as here with very questionable results (increase in speed)
The €bike is very heavy and quite unsuitable for the short easy journey. Using it is like driving a monster truck instead of a mini

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 22 Sep 2019, 5:36pm

would it be such a terrible thing if the law changed to allow battery electric assisted bicycles to go to 30mph but only when pedalled at say 50% contribution to allow the faster rats amongst us to really keep up with city traffic?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Sep 2019, 5:45pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:would it be such a terrible thing if the law changed to allow battery electric assisted bicycles to go to 30mph but only when pedalled at say 50% contribution to allow the faster rats amongst us to really keep up with city traffic?

If they were on roads with motor vehicles, no problem for me, I never ride there, at 30mph they really would be motorbikes, not cycles
Speeding on cycleways is a big problem already, even by unmotorised PoBs

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Sep 2019, 6:23pm

brynpoeth wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Greta and I and millions of others have a big problem with use of resources, often as here with very questionable results (increase in speed)
The €bike is very heavy and quite unsuitable for the short easy journey. Using it is like driving a monster truck instead of a mini

We as humans are going to use resourses,it's just a matter of how much and how fast,e-bikes use more than ordinary bikes but waaayyyy less than cars,public transport less still,so better get used to e-bikes,they're here to stay :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Sep 2019, 7:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Re: 1.2 million €bike$ sold in Germany

Postby brynpoeth » 22 Sep 2019, 6:34pm

Neither you nor I know if more people are upgrading from driving or downgrading from cycling to €bikes, does anyone know?

I must sniff around the interweb, maybe someone has investigated

Perhaps it would be best if €bikes were allowed to do 30mph, then they would have to use the road and not mix with traditional cycles
Last edited by brynpoeth on 22 Sep 2019, 6:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 22 Sep 2019, 6:35pm

brynpoeth wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

You need to borrow the ladywife's e-bike for a nice 25 mile hilly 1000M up&doon ride here in West Paradise. You will become addicted to the ability to go up as well as down in a manner not liable to induce a fatal blott or the loss of your popped-out eyeballs. Soon you will have a-one (e-bike, not popped-out eyeball) and will be going about singing, both happy tunes of joy and the virtues of e-bikes, to all who will listen.

You may even make posts of praise here, for the machine, gasping with incredulity that others cannot understand how wunnerful an e-bike is, especially yours.

Cugel

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 22 Sep 2019, 6:40pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:would it be such a terrible thing if the law changed to allow battery electric assisted bicycles to go to 30mph but only when pedalled at say 50% contribution to allow the faster rats amongst us to really keep up with city traffic?

Only me, you and others of the cycling elite are able to go safely at 30mph on our bicycles. The ordinary cyclists should be restricted to 12mph as they are inept. Ask Bryn, who knows from his own experience. :-)

Of course, the same rule applies to these ordinaries when they are "driving" their car. When I yam Dick Tater all motorists will have to go at 8mph max with a cyclist riding in front waving a red flag. If the motorist should run over the red flag waver, their status will be reduced to not-a-car-owner (lowest of the low, obviously) and they will themselves evermore have to perform red flag duties on a Triang tricycle as used by 5 year-olds.

Cugel

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Sep 2019, 8:00pm

brynpoeth wrote:Neither you nor I know if more people are upgrading from driving or downgrading from cycling to €bikes, does anyone know?

But what we do know is that people need to travel to work,etc, and even want to travel for pleasure.

Perhaps it would be best if €bikes were allowed to do 30mph, then they would have to use the road and not mix with traditional cycles

They're allowed to do 30mph so long as you meet the necessary legal requirements.
I cycle therefore I am.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 22 Sep 2019, 10:01pm

reohn2 wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Neither you nor I know if more people are upgrading from driving or downgrading from cycling to €bikes, does anyone know?

But what we do know is that people need to travel to work,etc, and even want to travel for pleasure.

They're allowed to do 30mph so long as you meet the necessary legal requirements.

And the riders have well-developed glutes, quads, pump and bellows. I have done 30 mph or thereabouts on the flat aboard the ladywife's e-bike. It's extra weight is no problem on the flat and, to an extent, the extra momentum once it's going fast helps a bit. Mind, after about 1/4 mile my own quads, glutes, bellows and pump are signalling that I should stop my self-abuse.

The queer bit is when the motor gives up at 15.5 mph and you suddenly have to pedal very hard indeed to keep accelerating.

It goes down hill at any speed you like, being very stable in both it's geometry and it's low centre of gravity. One could ride it off a cliff and do 173 mph for a short while (assuming the terminal velocity of bike & rider is about the same as that of just a rider-not-riding).

But Bryn dislikes downhills, even if they are very exciting. This is strange in a Welsh cyclist. Perhaps those Chermans have done something to him?

Cugel

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Sep 2019, 2:11am

Boring is good :wink:

Life is so exciting now, the only way to shock people is to bore them
(Warhola?)

sukuinage

Postby sukuinage » 23 Sep 2019, 8:59am

Just a few observations from someone who lives in Germany:

When I'm out cycling at the weekend I see loads of e-bikes. Once a year the South German Wine Road is closed to motorised traffic and there are 1000s of cyclist, travelling the route. Two years ago when I cycled the route I'd guess at least 50% of the cyclists were on e-bikes, probably more if I'd gone this year.
Contrast this with commuting:
I realised around March this year that I'd just seen the first e-bike commuter this year (sort of like the first cuckoo of spring :D )
I started looking to see how many e-bikes are in the bike park at work - currently 3 out of around 70 bikes in total

My conclusion is that very few people here are replacing car commuting with e-biking atm. Pretty much everyone I see are using them for leisure. OTOH I have seen a few e-Bakfiets with parents using them for shopping and transporting kids - quite likely people who don't have cars rather than people abandoning cars. The city where I live is pretty bike friendly (facilities, weather and lack of hills unless you venture south of the city) with very good public transport links and car sharing facilities so a car isn't really a necessity for a lot of people

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 23 Sep 2019, 9:21am

sukuinage wrote:Just a few observations from someone who lives in Germany:

When I'm out cycling at the weekend I see loads of e-bikes. Once a year the South German Wine Road is closed to motorised traffic and there are 1000s of cyclist, travelling the route. Two years ago when I cycled the route I'd guess at least 50% of the cyclists were on e-bikes, probably more if I'd gone this year.
Contrast this with commuting:
I realised around March this year that I'd just seen the first e-bike commuter this year (sort of like the first cuckoo of spring :D )
I started looking to see how many e-bikes are in the bike park at work - currently 3 out of around 70 bikes in total

My conclusion is that very few people here are replacing car commuting with e-biking atm. Pretty much everyone I see are using them for leisure. OTOH I have seen a few e-Bakfiets with parents using them for shopping and transporting kids - quite likely people who don't have cars rather than people abandoning cars. The city where I live is pretty bike friendly (facilities, weather and lack of hills unless you venture south of the city) with very good public transport links and car sharing facilities so a car isn't really a necessity for a lot of people

My emphasis
This speaks volumes IMO.
I cycle therefore I am.