Priority at crossroads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
soapbox

Re: Priority at crossroads

Postby soapbox » 5 Oct 2019, 12:33pm

pwa wrote:
soapbox wrote:
pwa wrote:No. Straight on takes priority over right turn. It has been that way since the year dot. It was that way when I passed my driving test in 1978 and it has remained that way. It is worrying that people aren't familiar with such a basic principle.

Have you an authoritive link/reference for that, please? I'm not here for an argument, and have nothing to back up my understanding, other than a certain logic in that both vehicles should give way to traffic approaching from the right when approaching a main road from a side road, and that at a crossroads, the vehicle turning right is momentarily effectively approaching from the right for the vehicle going straight on. I've just been flicking through my Highway Code and and can't find anything, ditto my theory test book, and Learner Driving Centre online refers only to "The general rule is..."
If I'm wrong (and I'm perfectly happy to be corrected), you're right -it IS worrying that people like me aren't familiar with such a basic understanding! That said, I've never tested my theory out in practice, and would always hold back rather than risk a collision only to be able to say "But I was right!"

I will have to find it in the current Highway Code, but it is what I was taught in 1977-78 and it is what my kids were taught when they learned to drive a few years back. There are two of you in that scenario, both with only one give way/ stop line to cross. The vehicle going straight on has priority. As if you were both meeting on a road with no give way/ stop line to cross. The turning vehicle waits.

Thanks. Yeah, I get the logic of the priority for going straight on, and have just watched a couple of videos explaining that, but just wondered if it was laid down in stone somewhere. Thanks for the exchange.

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Oct 2019, 12:42pm

soapbox wrote:
pwa wrote:
soapbox wrote:Have you an authoritive link/reference for that, please? I'm not here for an argument, and have nothing to back up my understanding, other than a certain logic in that both vehicles should give way to traffic approaching from the right when approaching a main road from a side road, and that at a crossroads, the vehicle turning right is momentarily effectively approaching from the right for the vehicle going straight on. I've just been flicking through my Highway Code and and can't find anything, ditto my theory test book, and Learner Driving Centre online refers only to "The general rule is..."
If I'm wrong (and I'm perfectly happy to be corrected), you're right -it IS worrying that people like me aren't familiar with such a basic understanding! That said, I've never tested my theory out in practice, and would always hold back rather than risk a collision only to be able to say "But I was right!"

I will have to find it in the current Highway Code, but it is what I was taught in 1977-78 and it is what my kids were taught when they learned to drive a few years back. There are two of you in that scenario, both with only one give way/ stop line to cross. The vehicle going straight on has priority. As if you were both meeting on a road with no give way/ stop line to cross. The turning vehicle waits.

Thanks. Yeah, I get the logic of the priority for going straight on, and have just watched a couple of videos explaining that, but just wondered if it was laid down in stone somewhere. Thanks for the exchange.

It is the rule as I have known it for decades, and I have never doubted it. But I understand your problem. The Highway Code, at least as it is online, is full of holes and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It is as if it is unfinished, as first draft. Pathetic really.

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 Oct 2019, 4:50pm

Rule 180 in the current highway code also applies to crossroads and tells right turners to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic. Rule 181 says to turn behind oncoming traffic normally. I think there should be more examples to make it clear, but there aren't. The previously posted example is my understanding too, but it almost never happens in practice because either someone arrives first or the junction is busy enough the council paints a mini-roundabout in it which reverses the rule!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.