Found - Twenty Quid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Samuel D

Re: Found - Twenty Quid

Post by Samuel D »

Reminds me of the extraordinary story of Dan Cooper and his unspendable $200,000.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On honesty, I'd like to know statistics on proportion of wallets handed in with no cash in them?

seems like larger quantities bring out the not so honest side of us.

So you find 100 K in Used notes.
Decide to keep it, how would you launder it?
Without attracting attention from the authorities, brought on by that Porsche parked on your drive :mrgreen:

If I'd bothered to contact someone/hand in cash I don't think you be looking for a Reward, but you might wait to see if there is a finders fee first?

I think in the film it wasnt the authorities but the drug cartel who put out the word on the streets for any one with excessive abnormal spending habits.......

in my case it wouldnt be a Porsche but an electric Brompton with Rohloff gears. Would that attract the cartels attention?
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Haven't found anything, but a few days back I lost a £20 note. It was windy and raining and I think it might have fluttered into a ditch somewhere and got swilled away.

If anybody finds it, lemme know. :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If it was yours, you're too late.
I spent it on beer. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
dav66

Post by dav66 »

Walking the dogs with my daughter last Christmas Day along the cycle path near our house and daughter found a wallet ,credit cards, driving licence ,cash,business cards etc .I phoned the No on the business card explained where we found it and where we lived , guy turned up later that morning he was so relieved to get it back he gave my daughter the cash out the wallet ,about £40 she was well chuffed (only 8 yo) . He hadn't even noticed it was missing till we phoned !! Two happy people on Xmas day :D
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Your daughter will remember that for a while, dav66.

Which reminds me …

Samuel D wrote:A while ago I left a Billingham bag in a fast-food restaurant in Hungary with 400 euros of cash alongside essentially all of my possessions of any monetary value. Story here. The young restaurant manager rummaged around the contents including my wallet, found my email address, and reunited me with the bag a few hours later. I gave her a reward. How much would have been appropriate? I’ll tell you later how much I gave.

The cash was in 50 euro notes and I gave her one of them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

dav66 wrote:Walking the dogs with my daughter last Christmas Day along the cycle path near our house and daughter found a wallet ,credit cards, driving licence ,cash,business cards etc .I phoned the No on the business card explained where we found it and where we lived , guy turned up later that morning he was so relieved to get it back he gave my daughter the cash out the wallet ,about £40 she was well chuffed (only 8 yo) . He hadn't even noticed it was missing till we phoned !! Two happy people on Xmas day :D
Thank you for sharing that.

It's a lovely story! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Samuel D wrote:Reminds me of the extraordinary story of Dan Cooper and his unspendable $200,000.

That's a great story!

But I couldn't see the reason that the cash was "unspendable" :/

(except perhaps because he almost certainly died before having the chance!)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

mattheus wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Reminds me of the extraordinary story of Dan Cooper and his unspendable $200,000.

That's a great story!

Every bill’s serial number was recorded and made public, so spending any of it would reveal, or seriously risk revealing, who he was. He may yet be trying to think of a way around this …
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simples

Use a 200 dollar note to buy a bar of chocolate :wink:
The change, 199.50, is untraceable
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Samuel D wrote:
mattheus wrote:

That's a great story!

Every bill’s serial number was recorded and made public, so spending any of it would reveal, or seriously risk revealing, who he was. He may yet be trying to think of a way around this …

Ah, that makes sense (I just couldn't see any mention on the Wiki page).

Shallow Grave is my favourite film about conundrums like this - still a classic IMO!
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Last winter I was cycling one Saturday morning, still dark and raining. Found a wallet in the road at a junction. Within sight is a cafe car park where some cyclists were gathering for a ride, so I went straight to them and asked if anyone had lost a wallet. A couple of riders reached for their back pockets but all said no.

Opened it to find a driving licence and credit card, but empty of cash. No-one knew the name.

I was wondering if I could be accused of taking any cash due to the empty wallet. Home was closer than the police station so I went home and looked up the phone book, a listing for that name but one for different initial. Called but nothng to do with them.

Wife did some searching on the internet and came up with an address within 3 miles for a young man. Looked this up and cycled there, found the house and knocked at the door. No answer despite repeated knocking. As I was leaving front door opened and it was someone I was at school with!
After our initial surprise he said that the wallet belonged to his lodger in the wing, it was their staff party the night before and the young man would not be up for a fair time so I left it with the landlord. He was sure the owner would be delighted to have his car licence and wallet back.

Never got any thanks.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I didn't know phone books were still produced!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

As a kid, mid 60s I guess, spotted a ten shilling note in the gutter.

My friend who was with me said that the correct thing to do was to hand it in to the police to see if it was claimed - I think I would have done this anyway but I did.

After a while it wasn't claimed - my friend claimed half of it as he was with me at the time!

As a young adult just out of university found a wallet with cash and cards - handed in to police station in Guildford and must admit to being grumpy with them/making some barbed comment (remember the guildford pub bombing mess and more) which seemed to slightly upset the desk person even though I seem to recall he thanked me for my honesty.

Few weeks later I got a very nice letter from a young mother thanking me for my honesty, expressing her pleasant surprise at such human nature still being around - there wasn't a mega lot of money in the wallet but she said she wasn't very well off and enclosed a small "reward" with her letter.

Letter much appreciated.

More recently i walked up to a ticket machine at my local station and £20 or maybe more popped out - realised it was uncollected change from the person who had just left and caught them before they went through the barrier. She was really relieved and insisted on giving me a fair percentage of what I had just given her - can't remember what - £5, £10.

Popped over the road to my favourite spoons and had a meal and fine beer.

More recently, my Lancashire home town of about 16,000 people.

Police station has closed and a notice on the door advises folk who have found lost property to go to a town over 10 miles away and hand it in there.

I think folk are going to have to be seriously honest to make that trip.
Last edited by Sweep on 19 Oct 2019, 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could hail the next cop car that comes by
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies