Found - Twenty Quid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Polisman

Re: Found - Twenty Quid

Post by Polisman »

Transferwise issue a UK card which can hold up to 12 different currencies on it and can be used just like that, in any country. You can make £1500 per week in card transactions with no fees and withdraw 200 in euros per month, fee free. This is probably enough for most folk on a two week holiday. Their currency conversion fees are the best in the business. I saved a small fortune last year travelling Spain and Italy. Hardly ever used cash..
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could glue a pound coin to the ground and stand back to observe people trying to pick it up :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:When travelling in Europe I have reverted to cash. I am very thrifty(and poor)!
My card transactions were being subject to varying "non sterling" fees and variable (not particularly good) exchange rates.
I know there are (were?) some card providers that don't charge fees- Nationwide was one but frankly a bit of cash changed is easier, though a tad riskier.
I am also very disillusioned with banks generally.
I resent their excess profiteering.

Or you can take cash out from the ATM, which also gives you a choice of accepting the ATM's rate or your bank's.

"The ATM"?
Which ATM?
There are always(often) many.
And many will charge a fee on top of a exchange rate which can nearly always be bettered.

Basically I can't be bothered any more with the faff and searching the best deal.
Cash is accepted just about everywhere.
Change at the best rate I can then travel easy, with a tiny pile of large denomination notes.
No searching for an ATM. No PINs.
And no fees.
No buying a special card.

Slightly higher risk.
What is life without a little risk? :shock:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One could glue a pound coin to the ground and stand back to observe people trying to pick it up :wink:

Did you miss my Dave Allen link upthread.
£20 note stuck under a VW Beetle wheel. A classic.
Here you go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-iF45pOlI
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:When travelling in Europe I have reverted to cash. I am very thrifty(and poor)!
My card transactions were being subject to varying "non sterling" fees and variable (not particularly good) exchange rates.
I know there are (were?) some card providers that don't charge fees- Nationwide was one but frankly a bit of cash changed is easier, though a tad riskier.
I am also very disillusioned with banks generally.
I resent their excess profiteering.

Or you can take cash out from the ATM, which also gives you a choice of accepting the ATM's rate or your bank's.

"The ATM"?
Which ATM?
There are always(often) many.
And many will charge a fee on top of a exchange rate which can nearly always be bettered.

Basically I can't be bothered any more with the faff and searching the best deal.
Cash is accepted just about everywhere.
Change at the best rate I can then travel easy, with a tiny pile of large denomination notes.
No searching for an ATM. No PINs.
And no fees.
No buying a special card.

Slightly higher risk.
What is life without a little risk? :shock:

I think I prefer the cash approach. For the first time - 2 weeks ago - I tried taking a credit-card (acquired due to no currency fees) and just a modest number of Euros to Yoorope.
Tripped myself up in the 2nd week by withdrawing cash => cash interest fee! Doh! Of course I would have paid less with my Debit Card, but the point is, that is something else to think about on hollibobs, and another potential mistake that would have been avoided if I'd stuck to my "plenty of cash" approach.

(on the plus side the CC was quick for dozens of contactless payments, which were all free - to me - so not a dreadful tactic all round.)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:One could glue a pound coin to the ground and stand back to observe people trying to pick it up :wink:

Don't tell us that's what you used to do with washers when you were a kid :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Of course different ATMs charge different rates and fees; because the banks and moneychangers they're provided do the same.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Of course different ATMs charge different rates and fees; because the banks and moneychangers they're provided do the same.

Transferwise allow you one free £200 withdrawl abroad in every 30 days with no fees, from Any atm. Once you have euros loaded into the card, (at probably the best rate currently available in the UK) you can pay for goods and services fee free. I saved a small fortune last year cycle touring in Italy for a month.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I was thinking about the fees at the ATM end, but you raise a good point about fees from the card provider too.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I was thinking about the fees at the ATM end, but you raise a good point about fees from the card provider too.

Carrying cash is always a risk. I've been robbed/pick pocketed 3 times in the last 5 years abroad and simply wouldn't do it again. Transferwise give you the market rate for currency every time, only charging a small upfront fee. You can load dollars /roubles /whatever into the card and use it like you would a local bank card, with absolutely zero transaction fees.

The way they are able to do this is quite simpel: they have their own bank set up in almost every country (or at least every economic region) so their inter bank fees are extremely low. I'm not an employee!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Polisman wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I was thinking about the fees at the ATM end, but you raise a good point about fees from the card provider too.

Carrying cash is always a risk. I've been robbed/pick pocketed 3 times in the last 5 years abroad and simply wouldn't do it again. Transferwise give you the market rate for currency every time, only charging a small upfront fee. You can load dollars /roubles /whatever into the card and use it like you would a local bank card, with absolutely zero transaction fees.

The way they are able to do this is quite simpel: they have their own bank set up in almost every country (or at least every economic region) so their inter bank fees are extremely low. I'm not an employee!

While not disagreeing in any way, I would point out that if one loses one's card through theft then while one's money is not lost ( hopefully PIN not written anywhere) access to it is lost.
Cash does not have to be carried in one lump, but rather in a few (secret?) places.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Forged notes are ubiquitous, allegedly :wink:

I found a 90€ note, went to the bank to launder it

-Of course, three 45€ notes or two 30€ notes?- bleated the friendly cashier
Not sure whether this story is plausible, are cashiers still employed?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nez

Post by nez »

I found a lonely fiver in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere. Doesn’t compare to Mick’s find but it made me smile
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nez wrote:I found a lonely fiver in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere. Doesn’t compare to Mick’s find but it made me smile

wellI bwt when you added it to the other notes in your purse or wallet it wasnt lonely any more :wink:
nez

Post by nez »

mercalia wrote:
nez wrote:I found a lonely fiver in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere. Doesn’t compare to Mick’s find but it made me smile

wellI bwt when you added it to the other notes in your purse or wallet it wasnt lonely any more :wink:
it would have been a week’s wages in my first job. Now, not so useful.