London Liverpool Street area Traffic at 06.30 weekdays

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
carlislemike

London Liverpool Street area Traffic at 06.30 weekdays

Post by carlislemike »

Any one able to give me an idea of the traffic around London Bridge to Liverpool Street or Hoxton to Liverpool Street at about 06.30 on a Monday or Tuesday? Need to get to Liverpool Street Station to catch a train up to Ipswich. I don't commute in London, in any shape or form and haven't been in that part of London at such a strange hour. Thanks, Mike
mercalia

Re: London Liverpool Street area Traffic at 06.30 weekdays

Post by mercalia »

I have never been up there at that time but I would have thought it would be part of the early rush hour
toontra

Post by toontra »

Shouldn't be a problem. That's well before peak rush-hour and in central London there are large numbers of cyclists commuting which gives safety in numbers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not going to be a problem at that time and in any case you are on a bike so I don't see that it would be much of a problem at any time. In fact the amount of traffic in london makes things simpler in my view - very little room for the traffic to do anything daft.
I"d worry more about country lanes.
Sweep
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

very little room for the traffic to do anything daft.

I would have thought that left hooking and sadly killing numerous cyclists is more than daft.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Grandad wrote:
very little room for the traffic to do anything daft.

I would have thought that left hooking and sadly killing numerous cyclists is more than daft.

Context: There's a lot of people in London and a lot of cyclists.
Of course things can be made better, but the fact remains that traffic is very often slow and predictable - far more than in the country.
Be careful out there.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the main thing is to leave your self plenty of time in case you get lost
mjr

Post by mjr »

London Bridge to Liverpool St can be done fairly easily with low risk of getting lost via CS3 as shown on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130422 but you can do it slightly quicker by:

1. exiting onto Tooley Street, heading left, then right over London Bridge, then right in front of House of Fraser and straight on lots to right beside Liverpool St (on fairly busy roads but all 20mph now I think) - keep your eyes peeled because I think this is one of the dullest terminal station entrances in London, or

2. I think it's slightly nicer to go ahead-left at House of Fraser (beware motorists turning hard left into Cannon St) to the now-closed-to-private-cars Bank and turn ahead-right onto Threadneedle Street (to the left of the Bank itself) then fork left onto Old Broad Street to reach the station by the slightly more obvious entrance by the tube station.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

mjr, that seems a plan which also seems to be the Cycle Travel option. I agree, Liverpool Street is awfully designed for access or even visibility. Mike