Cable ties failed on Carradice quick release

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Cable ties failed on Carradice quick release

Postby brooksby » 26 Oct 2019, 3:00pm

Just sharing my pain :(

Riding home last night there was this awful sound and weird feeling of off-balance.

Stopped, realised the quick release bracket was still attached under my saddle but the bag was hanging off to the side. It was still attached to my rack/carrier by the leather strap but the cable ties (not the original ones provided by Carradice) had come undone and disappeared so the bag was no longer attached to the bracket.

Memo to self: don't use "reusable" cable ties, no matter how heavy duty they are... They come undone!

(I have a shoulder strap so could get home).
Last edited by brooksby on 26 Oct 2019, 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Re: Carradice quick release failed

Postby Ron » 26 Oct 2019, 3:30pm

Perhaps, rather than name Carradice you should retitle this thread "Cable Tie Cure Fail" :(

brooksby

Re: Carradice quick release failed

Postby brooksby » 26 Oct 2019, 3:43pm

Ron wrote:Perhaps, rather than name Carradice you should retitle this thread "Cable Tie Cure Fail" :(

Yeah: fair point.

Si

Re: Cable ties failed on Carradice quick release

Postby Si » 27 Oct 2019, 3:00pm

I've tried to attach a saddle pack via cable ties in the past....same result. I use either leather straps or toe straps now.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Oct 2019, 3:33pm

brooksby wrote:…..Riding home last night there was this awful sound and weird feeling of off-balance......

I had that exact same sensation a few years ago (but no funny noise) and I immediately assumed the saddlebag had come adrift. Nope, it wasn't that..... the down tube in the frame was breaking.... :shock:

Zip ties are wonderful things but there is only so much you can reliably expect them to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 27 Oct 2019, 5:58pm

Hi
I've attached my Carradice QR-thingy to the bag with double cable ties, two slightly different widths from Rapid Online (electronics supplier) to completely fill the space. They're decent quality and have lasted a few years now, but it's a smaller 9L bag so not too heavy
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

nez

Postby nez » 27 Oct 2019, 10:12pm

Si wrote:I've tried to attach a saddle pack via cable ties in the past....same result. I use either leather straps or toe straps now.

I thought it was the law cyclists had to use toe straps :shock:

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 28 Oct 2019, 9:27am

nez wrote:
Si wrote:I've tried to attach a saddle pack via cable ties in the past....same result. I use either leather straps or toe straps now.

I thought it was the law cyclists had to use toe straps :shock:

Have you ever read that "Teach Yourself Cycling" book? Its a reprint of one published just barely post Second World War.

In the chapter on securing luggage, it talks about how some British cyclists have started using this foreign/European method of securing luggage to their carrier (not 'rack') using elastic cords with hooks on the end instead of the traditional method of leather straps with buckles :D

Back to my original point, I'm using the QR fitting on the saddle but am now using the short leather buckled straps that Carradice supplied on the bag, as God intended...

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 28 Oct 2019, 10:30am

a cautionary tale concerning bungies; recently a chum went touring and he had stuff on the front of the bike secured with bungies. 'Something happened' and the end of one of the bungies got snarled up in the front wheel. The collateral damage was extensive and included destruction of the (new) hub generator; I think the bungy hook got dragged round by the front wheel and it had a battle with the wiring connector block on the side of the hub axle. The bungy hook won.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 28 Oct 2019, 12:10pm

Brucey wrote:a cautionary tale concerning bungies; recently a chum went touring and he had stuff on the front of the bike secured with bungies. 'Something happened' and the end of one of the bungies got snarled up in the front wheel. The collateral damage was extensive and included destruction of the (new) hub generator; I think the bungy hook got dragged round by the front wheel and it had a battle with the wiring connector block on the side of the hub axle. The bungy hook won.

cheers

In the interests of full disclosure, I once had to walk my bike to the LBS to have them remove a bungee which had wrapped around the cassette. I'd had it stretched on my rack from one side to the other, not actually holding anything, and it had 'walked' itself loose and gone 'twang'. Not pretty :(

danhopgood

Postby danhopgood » 28 Oct 2019, 1:59pm

I'm a fan of cable ties, but they get brittle after a few years. If their colour starts to fade, it's time to replace 'em.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 28 Oct 2019, 3:30pm

I've always used the same leather straps as I'd use with Brooks saddle loops, since before the plastic block and zip tries were invented.
No failures, or any other problem.

The real reason for not changing was that I use the leather loops for a handle as well as the Bagman QR.Image

londonbikerider

Postby londonbikerider » 3 Nov 2019, 12:48pm

danhopgood wrote:I'm a fan of cable ties, but they get brittle after a few years. If their colour starts to fade, it's time to replace 'em.

There are UV-stabilized ones 8)

londonbikerider

Postby londonbikerider » 3 Nov 2019, 12:55pm

Brucey wrote:...
Zip ties are wonderful things but there is only so much you can reliably expect them to do.

cheers

Well, the zipties used for the Carradice bag mount are about 7mm, isn't it? That size is rated for 22 to 50kg, depending if "light duty" or "heavy duty" type. Of course, I am talking about quality, decent stuff.

There is another thing that no one has mentioned yet: the bundle diameter!
Carradice bags are held in place via a wooden dowel, this is strong enough but also fairly thin in diameter. The re-usable zipties are a bad idea when used on such small bundle diameter, because the moving tab is not laying flat, thus able to skip. Indeed, the rubbing or pressure from the bag, can push the tab and get it loose anyway.
Most type of buckles work best when flat, so it's not that zipties are a bad idea but rather the wrong ones were used.