Help for non-member of CUK

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Help for non-member of CUK

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:The reality is that you can't do the apparently most straightforward vla without legal help.

I settled a claim last month, replacement bike, two days loss of earnings and some minor expenses, £1,100 all in, which was around 80% of the amount requested. Dealt direct with their insurance company, Hastings, and the payment was received less than a fortnight after being knocked off. Simplified by it being clear cut, with the driver admitting fault and there being a couple of independent witnesses, it was still far more straightforward than I anticipated.
diapason

Post by diapason »

Well done. It's rarely that easy!
Advena ego sum in Terra
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

lbomaak2 wrote:The police won't prosecute.

H'mmmm....... apologies for asking but the police, did they give a reason for not prosecuting?
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

cycle tramp wrote:
lbomaak2 wrote:The police won't prosecute.

H'mmmm....... apologies for asking but the police, did they give a reason for not prosecuting?

Actually, I had misunderstood what my son told me when I wrote that they won't prosecute. They are still gathering evidence, so there is still the possibility of prosecution. Also, it turns out that there is CCTV footage, which shows how bad the driving was, so actually I think there is a reasonable chance of prosecution.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

[quote="lbomaak2" The police won't prosecute.
[/quote]

Did they give a reason why they won't prosecute?
If you get a Police conviction it's usually easier to win a subsequent claim.

I had a similar scenario many years ago and the Police asked me to 'come in to speak to us' because the driver had reported the incident but I hadn't. It turned out he 'd told them a pack of lies, given them incorrect vehicle number, site of impact on vehicle etc (I guess for an insurance claim off his insurers to repair a different car?), I was only 18 at the time, so didn't pursue the Police to find the outcome. It was quite a worrying experience (being 'accused' of not reporting) and it was only by chance I saw the registration number on the officer's clipboard otherwise I could have been the 'bad man'. It has tainted my trust of the Police.