new to cycling to work help please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jonmann85

new to cycling to work help please

Post by jonmann85 »

Hi all

really hope somebody can help. i have recently started cycling to work and borrowed a bike to get me by for now, its no good as its more a leisure bike and not really fit for purpose.
i live in Leeds and my entire route is a purpose build cycle path and well looked after, rather smooth and minimal curbs or bumbs.

i have been looking at this bike ( https://www.cyclerepublic.com/voodoo-ma ... -2018.html ) after talking to staff and they said as i cycle a lot of up hill both going to work and home, having no suspension would be beneficial for me, also has hydraulic brakes, very lightweight and 27 speed gears.

question, is this right?? Would this bike be any good? i do around 5 miles each way a day.

any help would be great
horizon

Re: new to cycling to work help please

Post by horizon »

It looks fine to me for your intended purpose - I think it has rack eyes in case you need to carry a laptop or other stuff. Bt you'll probably want mudguards. Would they throw them in as part of the deal?

The big tyres will be good in the winter when that cyclepath is a bit less pristine than it is now.
Last edited by horizon on 26 Nov 2019, 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What is your borrowed bike & what don't you like about it?

Does the Voodoo fix the things you don't like? Have you ridden one & found it comfortable?

Other than that, the spec looks good for the price. I don't know the specific bike, but I'm sure it will be fine, and the bike shop staff are right about the suspension. At that price, it will be nothing but unneeded & unreliable weight. Make sure you budget for mudguards, lights, a rack, and maybe some panniers.

The only thing I would caution you about is the cycle path isn't always treated in winter, so you may want to consider the need for winter tyres.

Enjoy the cycling!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jonmann85

Post by jonmann85 »

thank you so much for the reply, fortunately our cycle path in Leeds is tended to and if it snow / is icy we have a specify machine that goes down it and clears it.

The bike i have at the moment is from halfords and it is an apolo guru.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jonmann85 wrote:thank you so much for the reply, fortunately our cycle path in Leeds is tended to and if it snow / is icy we have a specify machine that goes down it and clears it.

The bike i have at the moment is from halfords and it is an apolo guru.

What do you not like about the Apollo? I think the Voodoo you linked to will be better, but there's a risk that you will only get an incremental change, when you are expecting a revolutionary one.

edited to add: If you haven't, you should test ride the Voodoo and see what you think.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s a nice bike, with reasonable components. If you like flat bar hybrids, it’s a good bet.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hybrid-bike ... 05264.html

This is better in my opinion.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

No suspension is a definite plus unless you want to do serious off road stuff. If your path is well maintained you will probably be better with less knobbly tyres. For commuting you will need proper full length mud guards - and a pannier rack if you regularly carry stuff. With the gears it is not so much how many (27 is more than enough), but will the lowest gear be good enough for your steepest hill.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jonmann85 wrote:Hi all

really hope somebody can help. i have recently started cycling to work and borrowed a bike to get me by for now, its no good as its more a leisure bike and not really fit for purpose.
i live in Leeds and my entire route is a purpose build cycle path and well looked after, rather smooth and minimal curbs or bumbs.

i have been looking at this bike ( https://www.cyclerepublic.com/voodoo-ma ... -2018.html ) after talking to staff and they said as i cycle a lot of up hill both going to work and home, having no suspension would be beneficial for me, also has hydraulic brakes, very lightweight and 27 speed gears.

question, is this right?? Would this bike be any good? i do around 5 miles each way a day.

any help would be great

That bike providing it fits you is a good tool for your intended purpose,with full SKS mudguards fitted and regular maintenance it will serve you well.
Voodoo bikes punch well above their weight and always get good reviews.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Three wins for any practical commuter bike are:
1. full length mudguards. It's the UK. even when it doesn't rain most of the time the road and paths are damp and mucky. The guards will keep you and the bike dryer and cleaner

2. a rack and some luggage. Whatever you carry be it a small toolkit , though lunch and a shirt to a full change and a laptop, let the bike take the strain. Much better than a rucksack. Back doesn't get sweaty or tired.

3. Lights. dynamo lights are not essential but will mean you don;t have to worry about whether you have charged the lights or how much life the batteries have. There is a selection of city bikes that do have them as standard.

Decathlon have this for about your budget (based on the Voodoo) of about £400 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-500-urban-hybrid-bike-id_8405476.html
Comes with all the above. 3 less gears and doesn't have hydro brakes but frankly the rest easily trumps the brakes in my book.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Whether you go for hybrid or road bike or gravel bike or MTB... I cannot stress how important mudguards are!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Spinners wrote:Whether you go for hybrid or road bike or gravel bike or MTB... I cannot stress how important mudguards are!

It would be interesting to hear from an Evans or Halfords salesperson whether mudguards on a bike are actually a deal breaker.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher