Has anyone else cycled every road in their town?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: Has anyone else cycled every road in their town?

Postby Grandad » 27 Nov 2019, 10:48am

As I like to do woodworking, I have decided to visit every tree in Brechfa Forest. There are lots; and new ones keep growing. Mind, they also chop down old ones.

This will be Very Interesting, obviously. Oh yes it will! It has the advantage that, taking so long to complete, I will have to live to 1897 years old. .... But hang on! Is that an advantage? I'll tell you in 3916. Bet you can hardly wait!

Anyroadup, I will take a photo of every tree visited and post them here. (No I won't).

Cugel, trying obsessive-compulsive mode (and rejecting it).

:D :D

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 27 Nov 2019, 11:47am

mjr wrote:
drossall wrote:Maybe if you were contributing to open-source mapping? :D

That's about the only reason I can think of that doesn't suggest some sort of unhealthy obsessiveness.

Same here - it's something that will be useful to others.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 27 Nov 2019, 12:14pm

Don't know if this qualifies but I have cycled every lane in our village. Both of them. :wink: :wink:
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Nov 2019, 12:15pm

Has the OP done this? The question is 'anybody else'
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 27 Nov 2019, 2:05pm

I cycled every road in Helensburgh many years ago. I was a Telegram Boy with a bike and later a cycling postman.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Nov 2019, 2:45pm

We lived on Hardy Hill Helensburgh - No 90.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.00998 ... 312!8i6656

Cycled to Faslane every day from there (7miles each way) until we'd had enough of the married quarters there and bought a house in Balloch.
I cycled to Faslane (14miles each way) as often as I could, but I confess I drove the car a few times.

Whilst I'm chatting about those houses on Hardy Hill, we called them "lighthouses".
Awful design.

Picture the issue here ..........

Front door, into a lobby.
Very small bedroom 1 on the left, straight on for large kitchen and the back door.
Just after Bedroom 1, the staircase went up half a storey.
On the landing was a loo.
Up another half storey to a landing.
At the front was a large master bedroom.
At the rear was a large lounge diner.
Between the two was the staircase.
Up half a flight was an airing cupboard.
Up half a flight and the front was in the roof space with a big walk-in cupboard.
At the rear, was medium sized bedroom 2.
Between the walk-in cupboard and bedroom 2 was the bathroom. No windows and no ventilation.

Four half-flights of stairs between the kitchen and the bedroom with two children.
Two half flights of stairs between master bedroom and the children.
Mick F. Cornwall

Ant...

Postby Ant... » 27 Nov 2019, 5:38pm

I have an inkling to ride to all 386 WW1 CWGC cemeteries in Belgium for some reason. :D

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 27 Nov 2019, 6:02pm

Mick
if your dinking around the old railway lines in Cornwall this might be of use to you

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/index.shtml

lots of plans of the old lines

Malc
edited to add
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/gu ... ndex.shtml :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Nov 2019, 7:06pm

Cugel wrote:As I like to do woodworking, I have decided to visit every tree in Brechfa Forest. There are lots; and new ones keep growing. Mind, they also chop down old ones.
We (only) have a couple of acres of woodland. Oldest trees are 60odd years old as the woodland used to be a flower growing field.

I once had a plan to pin numbered tallies on each tree and keep a list of which one was which, what species they were and draw up a diagram of which one was where. I could also have planned which tree was to be felled and keep a felled list of them.

Mrs Mick F told me I was being obsessive about it .................. so didn't do any of it ............... except I still cut many of them down and luxuriated in the heat from the woodburner.

20odd years we've been here, and 20odd years of hot water provided by our woodland and my efforts with the chainsaw and the log splitter. :D

Still no lists though. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Nov 2019, 7:17pm

I remember the "breeze block" shelter, and it was there far longer than"short lived".

The plastic "sandwich box" shelter was short lived, as the station closed soon after and moved site to over the road. The railway bridge was demolished, though I didn't witness that as I was away at sea.

Many folk will tell you that when they removed the bridge, it allowed big lorries to go through Gunnislake.
How wrong they are!
Before the bridge being removed, the big lorries would turn off the A390 and go though the smaller lanes via Albaston and Wellpark Road to bypass the bridge. Many was the lorry who got stuck or went the wrong way.

This was the bypass route. It was before satnav came on the scene, some lorries got lost. :lol:
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 19.15.29.png
Mick F. Cornwall

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 29 Nov 2019, 10:16am

Mick F wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:The question should why would you want to cycle every road ................
When I was working, I got my cycling done by cycling to work and back.

After retirement, I continued cycling but eventually got bored of doing the same circuits so I looked for pastures new. Did LEJOG and Back, then a Grand Tour, then JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper. I don't want to do it again, so my "new pastures" became a separate hobby but combined with cycling.
River bridges, A30 bridges, parish churches, and now railway lines.

Aye, I get that people put targets in place like bridges, churches, railway crossings etc but that's a far cry from every road in a town or county, I'd rather spend my time exploring other counties/towns if I'd already got bored of cycling same loops/same places in my own area, ticking off roads simply because they simply exist but have absolutely no distinguishing feature just seems inane to me.

There's some roads in some cities I wouldn't choose to ride down after a certain hour due to gang warfare.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 29 Nov 2019, 10:29am

What about cul-de-sacs?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 29 Nov 2019, 11:34pm

In my new "town" - Wythall, I've cycled and/or ridden every road since we moved in earlier this year.

In my old town - Birmingham - I'd never manage it in a month of Sundays!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 30 Nov 2019, 8:16am

My quest for every road in Cornwall will never be completed. I can do what I can do, and doing pointless roads or housing estates is ...... well, pointless.

Here's a screenshot of my map of the roads I've done. It's a little out of date, but the original is updated when I find I've been on a new road. Doing the parish churches and the A30 bridges augmented the quest of course.

The pastiche map is of May 2018, but if I were to put another one together, you would see that many of the gaps are far smaller. However, it gives you the idea of where I've been.
Cornwall May 2018.png
Mick F. Cornwall