This is Audax

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: This is Audax

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again horizon, unfortunately
Driving to Audax is the big elephant in the room
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

horizon wrote:I enjoyed the video and I like the idea of Audax - it does appeal. But what I hoped the video would show is a bit more of the gritty realism (as they might do nowadays on TV!). I'm not referring to the long lonely nights or the incessant rain or the roadside puncture repair or the sheer exhaustion - I'm up for all that! No, I'm talking about the driving.

I can't see that Audax works very well without the driving and the car parks. If you live centrally in the UK or near an Audax "hotspot" it might be OK but I did actually trawl through the possibilities this year and despite entering two events, it didn't work out for me. On the first I was told that everyone comes by car unless they live locally so there was no left luggage facility (though I think that is rare - most Audax events do seem to offer it).

So a film entitled "This is Audax" might have covered some of this, how far people travel, if they come by car, where they stay the night before and maybe even something about the carbon footprint of an Audax event! Audaxes can just be local but I think it would be hard to stick to that if you wanted to really get involved.

We have covered this issue in other threads and some people cycle miles even before the event. Others do make it work with public transport. So it isn't all car miles. I would also have liked to see the issue of caffeine intake mentioned and safety issues on long Audaxes but maybe that is for another film.

So, an inspiring video but missing for me, a major issue. I am going to see how 2020 pans out and maybe give it another go, looking at Airbnb and cheap trains.

I generally ride to the start but live reasonablly near the start of most I do. Although I have ridden out on a Saturday, camped left my gear in the hall, ridden the event and then ridden back on a Sunday. Speak to the organiser some will be more than happy for you to leave your things.

There are Audaxes in Cornwall starting from Truro and Falmouth both have train stations. Whereever you are In Cornwall nowhere is more that 20 miles from a train station. There are also quite a few in the Exeter area again you can look into trains.
horizon

Post by horizon »

whoof wrote:
I generally ride to the start but live reasonablly near the start of most I do. Although I have ridden out on a Saturday, camped left my gear in the hall, ridden the event and then ridden back on a Sunday. Speak to the organiser some will be more than happy for you to leave your things.

There are Audaxes in Cornwall starting from Truro and Falmouth both have train stations. Whereever you are In Cornwall nowhere is more that 20 miles from a train station. There are also quite a few in the Exeter area again you can look into trains.

What I found was that the best (i.e. most convenient geographically) didn't always fall on the best dates (I work some weekends), so it was a juggling exercise. And there wasn't always a suitable (i.e. low!) mileage for that event so more juggling. So although there are indeed lots of events, even in the south west, they boil down to a handful when looked at more closely. Last but not least, I felt that if you wanted to take it seriously, you might want to do more than one or two a year. By the way, I did arrange in the spring to do one by camping but a sudden drop in temperature resulted in a forecast for ice on the road to the start (overnight was also getting a bit challenging with a forecast of zero) so I dropped out. I even worked out a reasonable compromise between the bike that would carry the camping gear and the same bike that would do the Audax!

However, I'm not defeated. My only stipulation is that I wouldn't drive there (there just seems no point) and that still leaves options so I will look again at what's available.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
whoof

Post by whoof »

horizon wrote:
whoof wrote:

What I found was that the best (i.e. most convenient geographically) didn't always fall on the best dates (I work some weekends), so it was a juggling exercise. And there wasn't always a suitable (i.e. low!) mileage for that event so more juggling.

This is the title banner on Audax UK website.
Audax UK - The Long Distance Cyclists' Association

For this reason there aren't that many low mileage events. I have seen some 50-60 km ones from Truro and I think the Mines and Minerals (both on and off road events) used to be similar length, it started in Carharrack and you got a pasty. I think it's still running
horizon

Post by horizon »

The ones I entered were 100 km. The cycling didn't put me off, even if I couldn't complete. There are of course issues with the cycling itself (there are meant to be) but that isn't my point - it was the logistics. In fact, there are aspects of Audax that do attract me: riding alone if needs be, self-sufficiency and self-reliance, long days, long (for me!) mileages, minimum times, rain and wind. It isn't everybody's cup of tea and I might never find out if it's really my thing or not. And, by the way, I am hopefully honest enough with myself not to make an excuse out of the practicalities, but that at the moment is all I can report. I'm rather envious of the people in the video!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Nice video- pretty well sums up audax - one of the attractions to me is being able to ride a detailed route in a different area compiled by someone with local knowledge.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote:Nice video- pretty well sums up audax - one of the attractions to me is being able to ride a detailed route in a different area compiled by someone with local knowledge.

I thought that before I rode some. The drawback is that the router's style of riding is probably not the same as yours and even my limited experience has included unnecessary sections of hazardous road that caused serious injuries to some riders.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

whoof wrote:
This is the title banner on Audax UK website.
Audax UK - The Long Distance Cyclists' Association

For this reason there aren't that many low mileage events. I have seen some 50-60 km ones from Truro and I think the Mines and Minerals (both on and off road events) used to be similar length

There are 11 events at less than 100 km over the next six months. I'm not sure what to conclude from that as it is a very small proportion of the total number but enough for people to have a go. I would want a 100 km but 200 km would be my limit. I would say long distance means 100 km plus, although Audax makes a distinction between short events and longer ones so it seems quite well sorted out. What Audax UK means by long distance, I don't know. For me the problem is mainly the date and place, although as I said upthread, it is an added but not insuperable impediment that the ride is too long (most of the time there seems to be a choice of rides anyway).

Update: I looked at populaires in the south of Englansd over the next few months. They are probably more my thing. There is a reasonable selection but if you think that they aren't what Audax is about (i.e. long distance) then Audax probably isn't for me at my stage of life.

A bit more from Audax UK (my emphasis):

Although our principal purpose is to encourage long-distance cycling, an AUK-validated Brevet can be for any distance from 50km upwards. These shorter rides - usually up to 200km - are called Brevet Populaires (BP) and may usually be ridden at minimum speeds of between 10km-12.5km per hour and maximum speeds of 20km-25km per hour.

They are an excellent way to begin long-distance riding. You will often find them taking place alongside longer Calendar Events, perhaps sharing some of the controls.

BP events are validated and recorded by Audax UK and appear on the individual member's results page.
millimole

Post by millimole »

horizon wrote: What Audax UK means by long distance, I don't know.

This is debated at regular intervals by the membership generally with no real conclusion.

There was a move a decade or so ago to restrict Audax UK events to (AFAIR) over 200km but that was considered elitist.
The proposal will resurface at some point.

Audax UK collates rides from 50k upwards, but note that AUK itself does not organise any rides - it's purely and fiercely a governing and award giving body that links into the international body ACP. (Even the flagship London-Edinburgh-Londin is run by an arms length body).

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again horizon, unfortunately
Driving to Audax is the big elephant in the room

But you don’t have to drive. Many cycle to the start and home after the finish. Some even cycling quite a distance to do this and turning it into an Extended Calendar Event (ECE).

The thing I like about Audax, is that it’s a ride that has been well researched by the organiser, often using one of the Organising clubs regular club rides. So they will show you all the little lanes, short cuts you may not otherwise know about, and generally avoid busy and main roads.

I rode a 200k last year from Lichfield to near Grantham and back. Some delightful lanes, unknown to me, in the first and last 50k, the middle bit I was more familiar with. I did it with Mrs A and we generally rode as a pair but would catch up other riders at stops and sometimes on the road. A good sense of camaraderie and achievement in completing it.

I’ve ridden probably 40 different audaxes and only 2 of them were over 160km. There are plenty of 100km events to choose from - the full calendar may not be up on the web yet. A 100km event makes for a good day out on the bike, without being too taxing. It’s nice to occasionally challenge yourself with a longer event.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Although our principal purpose is to encourage long-distance cycling, an AUK-validated Brevet can be for any distance from 50km upwards. These shorter rides - usually up to 200km - are called Brevet Populaires (BP) and may usually be ridden at minimum speeds of between 10km-12.5km per hour and maximum speeds of 20km-25km per hour.

They are an excellent way to begin long-distance riding. You will often find them taking place alongside longer Calendar Events, perhaps sharing some of the controls.

BP events are validated and recorded by Audax UK and appear on the individual member's results page.

I’d of thought that a very good description of what AUK is about.
I only ever rode 100K once as an introduction to Audax. I did do a couple of 100s later but they were off-road.
It certainly encouraged me to ride long distance which I would say has to be 200K or above. IME the 150 and 200s were ridden by club men putting miles in their legs but very few of them ever wanting to go above that milage. My brevet cards cover a lot of 3 + 400 rides and a few, hilly, 200s. The 600 I did ended my Auk years but I did ride to and from the start. :D
Anyone who ever rode with Jack Eason would know age has never been a barrier and neither is not owning a car. Jack used to ride 40 ml from the station to our 400 ride the event, have a puff on his pipe, then ride 40 ml back to the station.
Back in the nineties there was no cycle dot travel or RwGPS I could confidently go to an AUK event and be given a cycle friendly route around parts of the country I , then, had no knowledge of. The beauty of all those rides is they gave me confidence to cycle off into any horizon. I learned how to get a comfortable riding position, I learned the layout of most of Northern England and Southern Scotland.
There’s a thread going at the moment have you cycled all the roads in your town? I’ve never lived in a town so can’t answer that. What I can say though is draw a line Ayr to Edinburgh and another Lancaster to York then ask me how many roads I haven’t cycled on within that area. o
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote:Anyone who ever rode with Jack Eason would know age has never been a barrier and neither is not owning a car. Jack used to ride 40 ml from the station to our 400 ride the event, have a puff on his pipe, then ride 40 ml back to the station.

So, as most Audaxes start at 7am or 8am, that means getting off the train at 3.30am or so? And you don't see that sort of extreme early start as a barrier?

Another suggestion was to make it an ECE. I don't understand all of https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event- ... ents-eces/ but it looks like you have to add at least 100km and already be an established audaxer, so it doesn't seem like an option for someone trying their first 100km event.

I have sympathy with horizon's concern. I've car-shared to all audaxes I've done and I think most people who didn't live in the start town/city did.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Anyone who ever rode with Jack Eason would know age has never been a barrier and neither is not owning a car. Jack used to ride 40 ml from the station to our 400 ride the event, have a puff on his pipe, then ride 40 ml back to the station.

So, as most Audaxes start at 7am or 8am, that means getting off the train at 3.30am or so? And you don't see that sort of extreme early start as a barrier?

A 400 usually starts at 6am I once rode the Humber Bridge 400 starting at 2 pm it just didn’t fit my body clock at all. Accommodation, a floor, at the start hall is sometimes available.
So if you’re not prepared to spend at least one night away from your own bed then distances over 200 unless they start on your doorstep, without a car, are out of the question I agree.
There used to be a guy, name escapes me but I’ll never forget how many bowls of cornflakes he could eat, ride up to Scotland from IoW ride our 400 then carry on with his cycle tour. That IMO is the spirit of long distance cycling.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote:I can't see that Audax works very well without the driving and the car parks. If you live centrally in the UK or near an Audax "hotspot" it might be OK but I did actually trawl through the possibilities this year and despite entering two events, it didn't work out for me. On the first I was told that everyone comes by car unless they live locally so there was no left luggage facility (though I think that is rare - most Audax events do seem to offer it).

I'm sure we've done this one before. It isn't an Audax thing IMO, people drive for their leisure activities, it's hardly surprising they do for Audax, it'd be a bit odd if they didn't. At least with a set start point the parking has had some thought, unlike the ramblers whose cars clog up the Peak District every weekend. Even in cycling it isn't unique, people will drive to any organised event, even touring isn't exempt, note the number of posts on here from people looking for long term parking while they go off, we won't even go into the size of the car park at York Rally. I'd rather people didn't drive for any none essential journey, but while they do it wouldn't be possible to run many successful events without catering for them. There's an argument for making the start times more train friendly, but even for me with good rail links, it'd be hard to get far, do a 200 and be sure of getting the last train home. Even if someone organised such an event, how many bikes could you get to the start?
At a rough count I've ridden about 80 different events and some of them several times, about 150 over 20 years, some years 20, some years just a couple, two years with none, small beer compared to many. About half of them have been local enough to ride to and from on the same day, average an extra 30 miles. A few further away have been possible with public transport on the same day. Two or three a year I've turned into mini tours, either riding both ways or one way and train the other, and one or two nights accommodation, camping or Travelodge and occasionally provided by the organiser. From Derby I've been as far North as the Scottish Borders, as far South as Bristol, West into Wales and East into Lincolnshire, still plenty to do. My bike has been in a car twice, once when I accepted a lift to the start which I regretted and the other a lift home with a broken bike for which I was grateful. It's possible to do it without a car, in exactly the same way it's possible to do most other things without one, just depends how much you want to.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:I'm sure we've done this one before. It isn't an Audax thing IMO, people drive for their leisure activities, it's hardly surprising they do for Audax, it'd be a bit odd if they didn't.

I think the idea of driving a long way for a cycling event is to me faintly ridiculous and in any case maybe it's time everyone slightly adjusted their leisure horizons! However, I totally agree that:

1. Staying overnight the night before and even afterwards is part of the deal (and maybe even enhance it). I'm up for that. Airbnb makes this cheap enough and helps the local economy.
2. That also makes train travel possible (and maybe cheap off peak fares). Bike booking, advance fare, ride to accommodation, short ride to venue - all possible. Zero extra carbon on half empty trains.
3. It's a good idea to make it part of another trip (e.g. to long lost relations). That might also solve the accommodation issue. :wink:

I do struggle a bit with the camping (which is a shame) because the bike that you want to carry your gear on might not be the bike you want to cycle 300 km on. But in the summer and on the shorter rides that I might do, it could be a winner. I nearly managed it this year, I'll probably try it again.

BTW, I posted originally because the OP invited feedback to the video and the problem of travel is to me a big issue; I think it's almost endemic to Audax and IMV needed to be mentioned. But I don't think it's unsolvable. Indeed your post and Paulatic's have served to inspire me to try again (but it was nice to know from mjr that I'm not the only one :) ).