This is Audax

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
djrikki

This is Audax

Post by djrikki »

I've had an amazing time doing Audax events since I joined back in January 2018, I've done a little montage of the sights and scenes of a few rides from the course of the last year and a bit. If you've ever considered riding long distance it's an amazing experience you get to visit some wonderful places, roads and routes you would never otherwise dream of visiting. A steep hill in the middle of nowhere at 11pm, flooded roads, Sustran and cycling friendly routes abound.

Hope you enjoy watching my little video, please do share comment and subscribe if you want to see more. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvfzGP8dvLs
PH

Re: This is Audax

Post by PH »

Enjoyed that, thanks.
Most of it could just be about riding a bike in nice scenery, rather than Audax specific. Though the reason I Audax is just that - to ride a bike in nice scenery. Looks like you've covered a fair bit of the country, which again is part of the reason I do it, don't need Audax to do that of course, but it can add something extra. It's also introduced me to places I might not have considered touring in, but have still been very worthwhile riding through.
Good luck for this season. I'm hoping to have a go at organising, I've enjoyed the riding for twenty years, it's time I put something back.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Looks pretty accurate to my experience: annoying bureaucracy at the start before you can get a coffee, a set route posted, loads of riders near the start, then a long time riding alone interspersed with more form-filling, only seeing more riders at any required stop or the end. I don't understand why people Audax instead of touring.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

dj's films are pretty good - I've been in one, I think! - but you can't say "THIS IS AUDAX"; it's much too broad a church to summarise in 2 years of footage from 1 rider.

Every year I find some different aspect of it, and I meet riders who have done things I'll probably never get round to it.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote:Looks pretty accurate to my experience: annoying bureaucracy at the start before you can get a coffee, a set route posted, loads of riders near the start, then a long time riding alone interspersed with more form-filling, only seeing more riders at any required stop or the end. I don't understand why people Audax instead of touring.

It's clear that you've only seen quite a narrow slice of Audax life!

But whatever - I'm sure you love doing things that we could all slag off :P There's room for everyone on the road (:
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:It's clear that you've only seen quite a narrow slice of Audax life!

But whatever - I'm sure you love doing things that we could all slag off :P There's room for everyone on the road (:

Oh for sure, but this video looks accurate to me - all the annoying bits of a group ride without much of the enjoyment of actually riding in a group. What do you think the video is missing? Do you know other videos which convey the other slices?

I can understand the attraction of lots of different types of cycling that I don't choose to do (like MTBing around the nearby forests), but Audaxes remain completely bewildering to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Google "PBP Damon Peacock" - he makes very good films, so you might enjoy them despite your perverse riding preferences.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

I plan on doing a series of "This is Audax" video shorts, they are designed to give glimpses into the world of audax. Yes, Damon Peacock has lots of video content and has an endearing voice behind the camera.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mjr wrote:Looks pretty accurate to my experience: annoying bureaucracy at the start before you can get a coffee, a set route posted, loads of riders near the start, then a long time riding alone interspersed with more form-filling, only seeing more riders at any required stop or the end. I don't understand why people Audax instead of touring.

Other people's hobbies? :lol:

Any hobby's defining essence is its pointlessness, and any hobby is pointless when scrutinised carefully.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[youtube][/youtube]
hamster wrote:

Other people's hobbies? :lol:

Any hobby's defining essence is its pointlessness, and any hobby is pointless when scrutinised carefully.

A railway modeller put it well
'A hobby is maximum effort for minimum return' (work or business is quite different)
Actually I think that does not apply to cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

Doesn't sound anything like my experiences.
Bureaucracy at the start? Last one I did I picked up a card the was lying on a table helped myself to a cup of tea from a tea pot.
Set route. Yes but if I don't like a road I'll find an alternative.
Long time riding alone: No, I tend to ride with Mrs Whoof and sometimes with others but if I do ride on my own then that's my choice (please see thread on Group Politics, it appears that this is the preferred way to ride for many).
More form filling at the end: No, I just tell a person I'm back.
PH

Post by PH »

whoof wrote:

Doesn't sound anything like my experiences.

Mine neither and presumably not the thousands who ride each year.
You might also note that the thread sat without comment for a day, yet within an hour of something positive being said, mjr was along to counteract it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:You might also note that the thread sat without comment for a day, yet within an hour of something positive being said, mjr was along to counteract it.

Well, that was probably because your comment bumped it up the "New Posts" list so I saw it when I was somewhere I could watch the video, unlike the evening before.

My comment was positive about the video: it captures the experience of Audaxing pretty accurately IMO. It's just not an experience I can understand any non-masochists wanting and Audaxers seem unable to explain why this is worth spending time doing instead of touring.

Now, why are you obsessed with me?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:..... but Audaxes remain completely bewildering to me.

I think it either appeals or it doesn't. There is nothing wrong with liking it and there is nothing wrong with not liking it. It combines some touring with a game that puts you under a bit of time pressure and if you don't like the game you will find that aspect of it annoying. The set route thing is part of that game. Again, if that is not your bag, just don't do it.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I enjoyed the video and I like the idea of Audax - it does appeal. But what I hoped the video would show is a bit more of the gritty realism (as they might do nowadays on TV!). I'm not referring to the long lonely nights or the incessant rain or the roadside puncture repair or the sheer exhaustion - I'm up for all that! No, I'm talking about the driving.

I can't see that Audax works very well without the driving and the car parks. If you live centrally in the UK or near an Audax "hotspot" it might be OK but I did actually trawl through the possibilities this year and despite entering two events, it didn't work out for me. On the first I was told that everyone comes by car unless they live locally so there was no left luggage facility (though I think that is rare - most Audax events do seem to offer it).

So a film entitled "This is Audax" might have covered some of this, how far people travel, if they come by car, where they stay the night before and maybe even something about the carbon footprint of an Audax event! Audaxes can just be local but I think it would be hard to stick to that if you wanted to really get involved.

We have covered this issue in other threads and some people cycle miles even before the event. Others do make it work with public transport. So it isn't all car miles. I would also have liked to see the issue of caffeine intake mentioned and safety issues on long Audaxes but maybe that is for another film.

So, an inspiring video but missing for me, a major issue. I am going to see how 2020 pans out and maybe give it another go, looking at Airbnb and cheap trains.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher