fun ride home

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
lauriematt

fun ride home

Post by lauriematt »

was out on my daily commute yesterday returning home from work

...was taking 5mins out at the side of the road, when some slower cyclists passed me!

gave them a 5mins headstart (ah the mindgames we play when cycling :lol: ) then tried to catch up with them! true enough i did within a mile or two

then for a bit more fun...i could see they were taking the shortest route to my village, so i turned off and took the longer route (by about a mile or two).

good timing on my part! just as i came upto the roundabout at my village, the slower cyclists emerged from the right lane on the roundabout!!

just a big kid hey?!?!?! :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

That wasn't me you passed on my new galaxy with a slow pun***ure was it?

If so, I can claim mitigating circumstances.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Baldock to Shropshire, he certainly took a long cut home :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

eileithyia wrote
Baldock to Shropshire, he certainly took a long cut home

He may be that good :)
mrsbloomsburybarton

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

Riding leasurely into Worcester down the A44 Bromyard Road on my old Raleigh commuting bike I am frequently overtaken by some poser who thinks he's a faster cyclist than me. Coming towards the one way system he thinks he's clever and crosses over to the other side of the road to gain access to the pavement towards town, the wrong way along New Road, crossing two roads in the process.

I go the long way round the one way system along Tyebridge Street which goes round and meets New Road at the other end and show how much better I am by arriving at the other end well in front of the poser. Ok so it's faster on the road than the pavement and I have no obstacles to cross (and, when he's not looking, I go as fast as I can but slow down when I come back into view and try not to pant!) but I bet when he sees me he feels a complete buttock and knows who the clever one is :P
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
mrsbloomsburybarton

Rude word removed? :shock: What's all this? Can I say bottom instead? :) What about bum? Rear end? Derrier? A*se? Is it possible to see a list of all the rude words that are banned? :D
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

mrsbloomsburybarton wrote:Riding leasurely into Worcester down the A44 Bromyard Road on my old Raleigh commuting bike I am frequently overtaken by some poser who thinks he's a faster cyclist than me. Coming towards the one way system he thinks he's clever and crosses over to the other side of the road to gain access to the pavement towards town, the wrong way along New Road, crossing two roads in the process.

I go the long way round the one way system along Tyebridge Street which goes round and meets New Road at the other end and show how much better I am by arriving at the other end well in front of the poser. Ok so it's faster on the road than the pavement and I have no obstacles to cross (and, when he's not looking, I go as fast as I can but slow down when I come back into view and try not to pant!) but I bet when he sees me he feels a complete <i>[rude word removed]</i> and knows who the clever one is :P

hehe :lol:

i do the opposite coming into town - but only during early hours ( half 6 in morn)
they overtake me coming upto the junction
i take the pavement, whilst the cars carry on thro the one way system!!

they then overtake me again!!! as i come out on the street ahead of them :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

No one has overtaken me on my vintage Italian racer but I've had lots of mountain bikers on toast.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mrsbloomsburybarton wrote:Rude word removed? :shock: What's all this? Can I say bottom instead? :) What about bum? Rear end? Derrier? A*se? Is it possible to see a list of all the rude words that are banned? :D

I believe that there is a special dispensation for terms describing "where the saddle goes" because cyclists need to be able to discuss these matters from time to time, especially after an epic ride :lol:
In the future, if in doubt, you could always copy and paste this little chap Image
mrsbloomsburybarton

Actually I think [rude word removed] serves the purpose very well, however, where did you get that little chap :?:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

'Saddle interface' is the politically correct term.

7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I was heading home on Saturday on some road to the north of Reading. It was wooded, up hill, maybe 1 in 12 gradient. A chap on a race bike nonchalantly pulls past me and we exchange hellos. Then I see that he has something printed on his dayglow yellow jersey: A name, his I presume; a date, May 2002?; and finally "Aged 70".

My instinct is to chase him down, but he is 76. I have a 30 plus years advantage on him. What do I prove if I pull past him? Plus it looks like he could maybe hold me off! :)
mrsbloomsburybarton

mrsbloomsburybarton wrote:Riding leasurely into Worcester down the A44 Bromyard Road on my old Raleigh commuting bike I am frequently overtaken by some poser who thinks he's a faster cyclist than me. Coming towards the one way system he thinks he's clever and crosses over to the other side of the road to gain access to the pavement towards town, the wrong way along New Road, crossing two roads in the process.

I go the long way round the one way system along Tyebridge Street which goes round and meets New Road at the other end and show how much better I am by arriving at the other end well in front of the poser. Ok so it's faster on the road than the pavement and I have no obstacles to cross (and, when he's not looking, I go as fast as I can but slow down when I come back into view and try not to pant!) but I bet when he sees me he feels a complete <i>[rude word removed]</i> and knows who the clever one is :P
This hapened again yesterday. Young oik on cheap mountain bike zoomed past me, thinking himself clever by overtaking me, a middle aged man on an old rusty Raleigh Roadster. I did the same as above but only just beat him to where the roads rejoin. I wondered whether to fade away graciously so he wouldn't see me but decided to press on and get onto the road just in front of him but then slow down to see if he wanted to overtake me again. He bottled out and just rode slowly into town behind me!! Touchee!!
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

:lol:

Well, as I cannot over take any cyclist cos they are all way too fast for me, I just let them pass and well,... enjoy the view as they do.... (theyre always chaps! :wink: )

Mary