New to commuting by bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rob22888

New to commuting by bike

Post by rob22888 »

Sick & tired of wasting my life away sitting in traffic jams, two months ago despite winter approaching I took the plunge and started commuting to work by bike. Got hold of a second hand hybrid kitted out with mudguards locally, some basic gear from Decathlon and got cracking.

Its 13 miles each way & I am currently doing around 3 times a week, keeping a keen eye on the weather forecast to pick my days. It was a bit tough at first, but I am really getting into now and absolutely loving it. I feel so much better for it mentally & physically, i'd love to be doing it everyday, but my long working hours make it a bit difficult (i'm a HGV driver). It takes me about an hour each way, which is hardly much more than it takes in the car and i'm saving a a good few bob in fuel.

I am saving the pennies now to invest in a decent road bike next year and just wanted to post on here really to encourage anybody browsing the forum who's thinking about it, to get on with it. There are a million reasons why you shouldn't, but it's one of the best things you will ever do.
Brucey

Re: New to commuting by bike

Post by Brucey »

good work fella!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Good on you Rob :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Dec 2019, 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I've been cycle commuting for just over two years now and agree with what you say
Richard M
Cardiff
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Chapeau! I'm glad you're enjoying it and spreading the good news!

After a stupidly short commute in my last job I now have a decent 10-mile e/w commute and did my first ride to work on Oct 2nd. Like you, I keep an eye on the weather but don't mind getting wet on the way home so much. When Mrs. Spinners has needed the car I have ridden in to work in the rain and it's never quite as bad as you expect.

Keep it up mate.
Last edited by Spinners on 10 Dec 2019, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Excellent, inspiring story. Well done, that's a heck of a distance to ride 'straight out of the box'.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I commuted ten miles each way any weather. I was hit by a car and had to use the train for six weeks and hated it and was soon back on the bike.
The fun is adapting the bike to suit your needs. You mention a racing bike but for me the audax configuration worked best and got me into touring but enjoy.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Good on you, 13 miles is a fair old hike, keep with it.

have you got any spike tyres for when the freeze comes? That will be a bit trying!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Good on you, you’re right, you can normally get where you’re going during ‘rush hour’ quicker by bike. As soon as you get used to the odd bit of crappy weather, you’ll be amazed how commuting by bike saves money.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

You are doing exceedingly well on your commute. If your bike is adequate for your commute and you cannot see any problems with it why change for a different commuter bike. Make sure you keep your chain cleaned through the winter, clean and lubricate once per week. Carry some waterproofs at all times. It is all too easy to be carried away with adverts etc for newer more expensive bikes, why replace a perfectly good bike? Winter Can take its toll on any bike. More expensive bike, more expensive parts.
Enjoy your commute, maintain your bike, winter will pass and you will gain great satisfaction from having commuted through winter. I have ridden home off night shifts through blizzards that have blown up during the night, frosty clear sky’s and rain, and whilst these conditions are not good, not giving in is an achievement that brings satisfaction. Keep going and enjoy Spring when it comes. Your fitness level will increase without you realising. The more people seen cycling the better.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I commuted by bike for the whole of my working life from 1977 to 2019 - happily retired now ( but still cycling for leisure). Not everyday but well over 80% of my journeys to and from work were done by bike. My shortest commute was just over 3 miles each way and my longest 21 miles each way. It’s an excellent way of keeping fit, saves money otherwise spent on bus fares or fuel, is almost as quick if not quicker than using the car or public transport.

Well done to the opening poster for taking the plunge!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Well done that man , I commute 22 miles each way , 3 times a week and have done for the last couple of years .Great way to save money and keep fit.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I stopped a variable, but often 25 mile each way, commute by car in bad weather or motor bike when it was warm, by swapping jobs. A bit less well paid but I reckon I save as much on the bike. I also don't spend 2 + hours a day in the car. If i do drive its 12 minute or and hour on the bike. 10 miles each way, 75% on gravel and the rest on minor roads. About 1500 feet of climbing. Great fun. Rain in the morning can put me off but as I need to drive occasionally that ok. Lack of decent drying space is a pain. The school has all new ground source heating with ceiling mounted blowers . :cry: Well worth it though. See deer most days, boar several times a week plus the normal stuff.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sounds good, keep it up.

WRT bad weather if you have somewhere to hang stuff at work and change then once you have actually made the decision to ride then it's not that bad. This morning it was dark, blowy and raining. On with the rain jacket, overshoes and neoprene gloves and it's just another ride in. I've got somewhere (coat hangers in a loft area) for my things to hang and dry and also I brought in a second pair of gloves and different jacket plus a gillet in case it's dry for the ride home.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

well done
keep at it !
mines only 10 miles each way which i do most days unless it dangerous aka blowing gale ice etc, manual job on my feet all day .
If you can afford a new bike then great but learn to maintain what you have as that will save you a lot of cash in bike shop fees once you have the tools for the job.
My current commuter was built onto a frame i got off gumtree and the spares bin so cost me£30 to get on the road which does the job perfectly and less attractive to any thiefs compared to a lot of the bling bikes in the bike sheds.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."