Lorry pushes car on A40

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hemo

Lorry pushes car on A40

Post by hemo »

Unbelievable footage of a driver without a clue of what he had done or had occurred on the A40 in West London, I wonder which planet he was on ???
Remarkably plod haven't arrested anyone over incident which could have ended very,very badly.
Witnesses estimate that he pushed the car and trapped driver for a mile.

Scroll down the page to view the vid clip.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... spartanntp

Edit.
Subject title didn't load, worked second time around.
gaz

Re: Crazy incident on the road , be careful !!!

Post by gaz »

Plod only arrest people at the scene when they have to. Typically that's to preserve evidence or prevent harm to the public.

If the driver has been identified, passed the roadside breath/drug test and doesn't seem likely to take a swing at somebody they don't need to arrest him, they can still charge him later.
Debs

Post by Debs »

It doesn't look intentional, just a freak accident. Lucky no one hurt.

The car was so close and low down to front of very tall truck it was not in view of the truck driver.

Would be interesting to know how the car got to be in that side-ways predicament - i think that's where the true cause and blame should be (?)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Debs wrote:It doesn't look intentional, just a freak accident. Lucky no one hurt.

The car was so close and low down to front of very tall truck it was not in view of the truck driver.

Would be interesting to know how the car got to be in that side-ways predicament - i think that's where the true cause and blame should be (?)

All true, but otoh I do find it a bit alarming that vehicles with such crap visibility are allowed anywhere there are vulnerable road users.

In another thread we already see how one driver "improves" his poor visibility by having less of it with inevitable consequences.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I'd make him take an eyesight test and a hearing test.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:I'd make him take an eyesight test and a hearing test.

Quite,the first thing I looked for was a down mirror on the front of the truck,the next thought I had was how come he didn't hear or feel the impact and was the radio turned up loud in the cab :?
A very strange incident.
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Dec 2019, 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

You would think the car driver would be beep beep beep beeping the whole time, and everyone else around him, but we don't really know how far he went like that. Perhaps following drivers were nervous about overtaking in case the car moved out, to get in front.
hemo

Re: Lorry pushes car on A40

Post by hemo »

Why has the subject title been changed ?
I assume mods have done this.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

> The car was so close and low down to front of very tall truck it was not in view of the truck driver.

So should we agree many trucks are only able to see about 60% of the road?
Debs

Post by Debs »

atlas_shrugged wrote:> The car was so close and low down to front of very tall truck it was not in view of the truck driver.

So should we agree many trucks are only able to see about 60% of the road?

Perhaps we ought to agree not to jump to conclusions before all the details of this incident are revealed.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Imagine if you are on a bike, in front of one of these huge truck cabs! No way the driver can see you. It’s a wonder that such vehicles, with huge blind spots, are allowed on the road, especially urban roads where they mix with small cars, motorbikes, mopeds and cyclists.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This is starting to change with "direct vision" cab regulations. Slowly.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

TrevA wrote:Imagine if you are on a bike, in front of one of these huge truck cabs! No way the driver can see you. It’s a wonder that such vehicles, with huge blind spots, are allowed on the road, especially urban roads where they mix with small cars, motorbikes, mopeds and cyclists.

Every truck I've driven in the last 20 yrs has had a huge mirror in front of the screen showing the view in front of the cab so there is no blind spot. You can actually see this mirror on the picture of this truck. It is over the passenger
side and will cover the front of the truck.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hemo wrote:Why has the subject title been changed ?
I assume mods have done this.

I hope it's because "Re: Crazy incident on the road , be careful !!!" is an unhelpfully vague "look at me look at me" title and doesn't show that it doesn't involve cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

certainly not the first such incident, i know of 2 in the north of England in the last few years - pretty sure there will have been others.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!