Getting worse out there?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

Getting worse out there?

Postby fastpedaller » 18 Dec 2019, 4:04pm

Today I took a walk along the disused railway track into town - a pleasant want and return except when I got to the last 400 yards entering our village. A quiet country road, and I was approached from behind by a 4 x 4 (private number plate) who thought she owned the road. She slowed as she went past (having hooted), and as she drew level I thought she was a local about to offer me a lift :) - No Chance! she was shouting at me to get out of the road :evil: Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

pwa

Re: Getting worse out there?

Postby pwa » 18 Dec 2019, 4:11pm

There are some rude, aggressive people out there in need of some anger management training. Anyway, she takes that attitude with her wherever she goes and it makes her life unpleasant, so take consolation from your own relatively even temperament.

I don't know whether you were just unlucky to encounter her or whether things are different where you are, but that sort of incident would be very rare on the lanes around here. I have been walking them for twenty odd years without once having a verbal with a motorist. Similar story on the bike. I had a short ride a few days back and as I was mostly on narrow lanes that were for some reason busier than usual, and I had to deal with several vehicles where one or the other of us had to wait a moment, all without incident and all with smiley faces and waves.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2019, 4:34pm

I make a point on these lanes round here, of standing my ground, especially in the dark. Nice bright modern torch and shine it at the car you can hear thundering up the road. They don't half slow down.

Also, walking the doggy, he's rather frightened of traffic. Pretty young border collie and he gets out of the way when he hears traffic, and sits nicely or even lies down. Many are the times when the car drivers hurtling along slow right down and smile. :D

Answer:
Stand your ground, use a bright torch, and/or walk a pretty and obedient border collie.
Sailor Chair.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 4:39pm

fastpedaller wrote: .......... Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

What's been happening for a while now the loonies firmly believe they're sane and the sane people are aware of such lunacy.
You may or may not believe me but I'm farely sure it got worse after the 2016 referendum.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 4:43pm

Mick F wrote:I make a point on these lanes round here, of standing my ground, especially in the dark. Nice bright modern torch and shine it at the car you can hear thundering up the road. They don't half slow down.

Also, walking the doggy, he's rather frightened of traffic. Pretty young border collie and he gets out of the way when he hears traffic, and sits nicely or even lies down. Many are the times when the car drivers hurtling along slow right down and smile. :D

Answer:
Stand your ground, use a bright torch, and/or walk a pretty and obedient border collie.Sailor Chair.jpg

That of course is the remedy which exercise both when walkingnand on the bike.
The question is where did all the angst come from?
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Dec 2019, 4:49pm

fastpedaller wrote:Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

The RoadJustice campaign by CUK and others seems to be failing on some key points:-
· roads policing has been cut hard amid the 20,000ish fewer police officers since 2010.
· There's been a reduction in DVSA staffing compared to pre-merger DSA and VOSA.
· There were the "ending the war on the motorist" reductions in traffic offence cameras: speed cameras, RLJ cameras and yellow box cameras all gone.
· Some local Road Casualty Rate Reduction Forums were cut back and then shut down.
· There's still no routine B1 driver retesting - not even a theory test on highway code updates.

In short, I feel these chickens are coming home to roost and an increasing number of bad drivers no longer feel they need even try to behave themselves.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2019, 4:56pm

reohn2 wrote:The question is where did all the angst come from?
Good question, but is it getting worse, or has it always been the same but there's more and more traffic?

I reckon it's always been there. It's just that there's more of them coz there's more traffic.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 4:59pm

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The question is where did all the angst come from?
Good question, but is it getting worse, or has it always been the same but there's more and more traffic?

I reckon it's always been there. It's just that there's more of them coz there's more traffic.

With less and less police to cope with it thanks to the Tories austerity plan :? .
I cycle therefore I am.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 18 Dec 2019, 5:30pm

reohn2 wrote:
fastpedaller wrote: .......... Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

What's been happening for a while now the loonies firmly believe they're sane and the sane people are aware of such lunacy.
You may or may not believe me but I'm farely sure it got worse after the 2016 referendum.

I think you are correct!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 18 Dec 2019, 6:05pm

I think it is a combination;
The angst has been getting worse but I believe it also gets worse around this time of the year.... everyone in too much of a rush.

A few years back a wet and dark ride out of Preston on my commute, the driving was so awful with so much impatience I truly believed I would see a major accident. Indeed I did a few days later, it was me on the deck when a taxi driver took less care at traffic lights.

Only today I posted on facebook that when I first got my van 6-7 years ago, I was always given a degree of respect. other road users thought twice about pulling out in front of a van.
2 weeks when leaving college in Bolton I had a woman drive straight out of a t-junction turning right across the front of the van, and last night someone overtook me then turned left across the front of me!!!!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 18 Dec 2019, 8:32pm

eileithyia wrote:I think it is a combination;
The angst has been getting worse but I believe it also gets worse around this time of the year.... everyone in too much of a rush.

A few years back a wet and dark ride out of Preston on my commute, the driving was so awful with so much impatience I truly believed I would see a major accident. Indeed I did a few days later, it was me on the deck when a taxi driver took less care at traffic lights.

Only today I posted on facebook that when I first got my van 6-7 years ago, I was always given a degree of respect. other road users thought twice about pulling out in front of a van.
2 weeks when leaving college in Bolton I had a woman drive straight out of a t-junction turning right across the front of the van, and last night someone overtook me then turned left across the front of me!!!!

You have reached the state of invisibility although i have to say, for me it seems that van drivers are the most common culprits of such behaviour. I'm prertty sure part of the problem is the prolification of large 'SUV's, the drivers often have little spatial awareness and either have a problem getting through gaps a bus would easily pass through or pass so close you can see their designer labels. Roads where two cars could pass twenty years ago are not wide enough for two twenty teen cars and some around here larger models would literally get stuck on. Bigger motor vehicles are causing a lot of damage to country roads, they overfill car park spaces and are a constant danger to more vulnerable road users.

Maybe cyclists, as a subset of road users, are more aware of all this angst and willy waving as we are at the sharp end, so to speak.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 18 Dec 2019, 8:55pm

The last month has seemed to be constant cold so I’ve been walking most days between 5 to 8 mls. I think as a cyclist I’ve become very attuned to hearing vehicles approaching from behind. I walk bang in the middle of the lanes and just keep ambling along until I hear the vehicle slow at which point I move to the side and give them a wave.
This morning however was totally different as soon as I heard something I got over onto the verge. The roads were so icy I didn’t want them braking as I feared they might come sliding right into me. The speed some were going though I think they’d no idea what the roads were like.
I’m changing my car on Friday and everything I looked at was at least 4" wider than my old one. Even the newer version of my old model is 4” wider. I live the other side of a very small and narrow railway bridge from Friday I’m going to have to go round the block ( bigger bridge) to get home. It’s going to add an extra mile to a lot of journeys now. Progress eh :?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

andrewwillans49

Postby andrewwillans49 » 18 Dec 2019, 10:12pm

People don't change. I believe a consequence of increasing numbers of motor traffic simply means a greater likelyhood of collisions and near misses.
Riding solo, I'll always yield to any motor vehicle, especially when they're approaching from behind on a country road. As soon as possible I pull over to a safe passing spot, nine times out of ten I get a friendly wave or appreciative toot.
Conversely, I've ridden in groups where some cyclists refuse to single out or insist on their right to occupy their roads pace. This usually frustrates drivers and it's often the case that more aggressive drivers make a dangerous pass.
For what its worth, I've been a cyclist for five decades and long ago came to the conclusion just how vulnerable cyclists are. Pick your battles.
Finally, please leave politics out of this discussion . There are other threads for a rant

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 18 Dec 2019, 10:55pm

fastpedaller wrote:Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

What exactly happened?
A driver hooted as she went past?
Soooooooo..........what exactly is the issue?
It happens....or it doesn't......why worry?

drossall

Postby drossall » 19 Dec 2019, 3:34am

I actually think it's been improving, at least for cyclists, and at least since the 2012 surge in participation. There's simply more chance that drivers have seen things from both sides of the fence, as cyclists routinely have (generalisation). It doesn't need all drivers to have done so, as long as enough have to "set the tone".

Why that didn't help in your case, given that nearly all drivers walk at least short distances and occasionally, is another matter :roll: