Getting worse out there?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hamster

Re: Getting worse out there?

Postby hamster » 19 Dec 2019, 8:17am

I'm with Drossall - things were at their worst about 5 years ago, but in the past three I find drivers giving more space and/or waiting to overtake. Of course it's not everyone but overall round me it's better.

peetee

Postby peetee » 19 Dec 2019, 8:49am

It's not just motorists behaving badly.
Perhaps the increase in cyclists has something to do with it. It's a common hobby now and not everyone out there is civil and considerate of people using other means of getting around.
Having moved to the south-west recently I have been pleasantly surprised how universal are the returned greetings while out on my bike. With one exception. Riding a disused railway path I approached a lady walking her dog. She was wearing headphones and did her best to ignore me as I slowed and smiled as I passed. 'Oh well' I thought. 'I've done ok so far' (a reflective comment based on years of snobbery and disrespect from 'Others').
Five minutes later I reached the end of the trail so turned around knowing full well I would meet Mutley and his tethered, tuned-in assistant. As I was closing in at a little over walking speed she saw me and moved to one side as her dog (without by your leave) relieved itself on an unsuspecting plant. Again I smiled and dutifully mumbled something knowing she couldn't hear me anyway. "Don't acknowledge me then" came the cutting response.
I didn't let it go but decided to play it cool and apologetic as she had clearly decided before our first meeting that I was two-wheeled low-life with significantly less social graces than her dog.
You can't win 'em all.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Dec 2019, 9:08am

drossall wrote:I actually think it's been improving, at least for cyclists, and at least since the 2012 surge in participation. There's simply more chance that drivers have seen things from both sides of the fence, as cyclists routinely have (generalisation). It doesn't need all drivers to have done so, as long as enough have to "set the tone".

Why that didn't help in your case, given that nearly all drivers walk at least short distances and occasionally, is another matter :roll:

Personally I find the good drivers to be very good and understanding,they wait and they give me pleny of space,however the bad ones which are in a small minority granted,are becoming more aggressive with what I perceive as punishment or couldn't give a monkey's for my safety,passes.
These days due to circumstances a ride a lot less than I used to,but when I do ride I prefer not to ride on the road as much as possible,the reason is due to the increased aggression shown to me be some motorists.
Even though my road riding is minimal ever time I ride there'll be somekind of motorist related incident,usually a close pass whether intentional or not I don't know,and occassionally outright hostility.
I'm not a militant cyclist but try to help other road users as much as I can when on the bike.
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Dec 2019, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Dec 2019, 9:10am

andrewwillans49 wrote:........Finally, please leave politics out of this discussion . There are other threads for a rant

Gladly if I didn't think it had anything to do with people's attitude in general,but IMHO since 2016 it certainly seems to have had something to do with it.
I cycle therefore I am.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 19 Dec 2019, 9:19am

100%JR wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

What exactly happened?
A driver hooted as she went past?
Soooooooo..........what exactly is the issue?
It happens....or it doesn't......why worry?

I was a pedestrian, she hooted and told me to get off the road! No need for it (especially as she was taking up over half the road width).
Maybe you think that's correct and expected? I certainly don't

peetee

Postby peetee » 19 Dec 2019, 9:39am

Paulatic wrote:The last month has seemed to be constant cold so I’ve been walking most days between 5 to 8 mls. I think as a cyclist I’ve become very attuned to hearing vehicles approaching from behind. I walk bang in the middle of the lanes and just keep ambling along until I hear the vehicle slow at which point I move to the side and give them a wave.
This morning however was totally different as soon as I heard something I got over onto the verge. The roads were so icy I didn’t want them braking as I feared they might come sliding right into me. The speed some were going though I think they’d no idea what the roads were like.
I’m changing my car on Friday and everything I looked at was at least 4" wider than my old one. Even the newer version of my old model is 4” wider. I live the other side of a very small and narrow railway bridge from Friday I’m going to have to go round the block ( bigger bridge) to get home. It’s going to add an extra mile to a lot of journeys now. Progress eh :?

Next time you are in a queue of vehicles take a look at the shape of a lot of them. The difference between the internal width between the windows and the actual width of the car is huge. No wonder some people don't know what gap they can fit through. I would imagine the width difference is part 'muscular' styling and part in-built safety cell. Problem is that this is adding to the cosseted environment that is leading to more and more examples of inappropriate speeds for the conditions and surroundings and less tolerance of slower road users.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 19 Dec 2019, 11:09am

I blame Thatcher.

danhopgood

Postby danhopgood » 19 Dec 2019, 3:15pm

I think standards are going down and a lack of enforcement is a big factor. People think they can get away with poor standards of driving, licencing, insurance, mobile phone use etc. After cycling for nearly 50 years now I got knocked off for the first time on Monday morning. Will be on crutches all Christmas. At least I'm still here, many haven't been so lucky.....

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Dec 2019, 3:18pm

danhopgood wrote:I think standards are going down and a lack of enforcement is a big factor. People think they can get away with poor standards of driving, licencing, insurance, mobile phone use etc. After cycling for nearly 50 years now I got knocked off for the first time on Monday morning. Will be on crutches all Christmas. At least I'm still here, many haven't been so lucky.....

Sorry to read about it hope your injuries aren't too serious and the perpetrator is held to account.Get well soon.
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Dec 2019, 10:02am

danhopgood wrote:I think standards are going down and a lack of enforcement is a big factor. People think they can get away with poor standards of driving, licencing, insurance, mobile phone use etc. After cycling for nearly 50 years now I got knocked off for the first time on Monday morning. Will be on crutches all Christmas. At least I'm still here, many haven't been so lucky.....

I hope you mend quickly.

I don't know whether driving standards are worse than they used to be. They can be very poor, but I remember some pretty awful driving back in the 1970s and 80s. I knew someone back then who would drive home after 12 pints and claimed that he drove better when he'd had a few. And the notion that 10mph above the speed limit is an acceptable compromise was more widely touted then.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 20 Dec 2019, 11:06am

fastpedaller wrote:
100%JR wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:Crikey, what's happening on the roads?

What exactly happened?

I was a pedestrian, she hooted and told me to get off the road! No need for it (especially as she was taking up over half the road width).

You missed my point.
Whether it's acceptable or not it happens.Why let it bother you?Has your life changed in any way because of this?

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Dec 2019, 12:09pm

100%JR wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
100%JR wrote:What exactly happened?

You missed my point.
Whether it's acceptable or not it happens.Why let it bother you?Has your life changed in any way because of this?

No matter how much you complain, Mr JR, people will not stop making these sort of posts on internet forums.

Has that post changed your life? Why let it bother you?

Learn from Don Trump - watch a movie, chill a bit.

RichK

Postby RichK » 21 Dec 2019, 11:36pm

mattheus wrote:I blame Thatcher.

I fully approve of this assertion :)

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 22 Dec 2019, 1:33pm

foxyrider wrote:Bigger motor vehicles are causing a lot of damage to country roads, they overfill car park spaces and are a constant danger to more vulnerable road users.

Also contributing excessively to pollution and carbon emissions. I work for BCA in the commercials division and a huge proportion of vehicles I see are 4x4s (Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi L200, VW Amarok etc), the majority of which have clearly never been used for commercial purposes but are simply "Chelsea Tractors". I blame the manufacturers who have turned the commercially useful pickup truck into a "family" MPV by upgrading the styling and interior fittings to appeal to a certain type of consumer. My local Morison's car park is usually full of them.

That reminds me of another of my favourite gripes; why do supermarkets remorselessly promote multi-buy deals thus encouraging more vehicle use and making my shop relatively more expensive since I can't carry the extra (and largely unwanted) extra goods on my bike?

Smudgerii

Postby Smudgerii » 22 Dec 2019, 7:36pm

peetee wrote:
Paulatic wrote:The last month has seemed to be constant cold so I’ve been walking most days between 5 to 8 mls. I think as a cyclist I’ve become very attuned to hearing vehicles approaching from behind. I walk bang in the middle of the lanes and just keep ambling along until I hear the vehicle slow at which point I move to the side and give them a wave.
This morning however was totally different as soon as I heard something I got over onto the verge. The roads were so icy I didn’t want them braking as I feared they might come sliding right into me. The speed some were going though I think they’d no idea what the roads were like.
I’m changing my car on Friday and everything I looked at was at least 4" wider than my old one. Even the newer version of my old model is 4” wider. I live the other side of a very small and narrow railway bridge from Friday I’m going to have to go round the block ( bigger bridge) to get home. It’s going to add an extra mile to a lot of journeys now. Progress eh :?

Next time you are in a queue of vehicles take a look at the shape of a lot of them. The difference between the internal width between the windows and the actual width of the car is huge. No wonder some people don't know what gap they can fit through. I would imagine the width difference is part 'muscular' styling and part in-built safety cell. Problem is that this is adding to the cosseted environment that is leading to more and more examples of inappropriate speeds for the conditions and surroundings and less tolerance of slower road users.

Or could the extra width be due to the rising number of fat ******? They have to build to suit them and therefore avoid the discrimination challenge.