Hit by a car this morning looking for a bit of advice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
1982john

Hit by a car this morning looking for a bit of advice

Post by 1982john »

Car pulled out on me at an island. I'm ok, have not checked out the bike fully but it looks superficial damage.

I got a name and number but not reg but I think there's lots of cameras around also got a witness.

Never been hit before in 20 years of cycling so I'm not sure what I should do about claiming any damages?
Oldjohnw

Re: Hit by a car this morning looking for a bit of advice

Post by Oldjohnw »

Are you a member of Cycling UK?
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Get the ref (did the witness get it?) get a police reference number, talk to your insurers (home insurance) and get a bike check up at a proper lbs.

If you are *sure* you are ok, then just talk to the driver - have a provisional sum in mind - they might prefer not to involve their insurance company.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Check the wheels aren't buckled -- they are worth a few hundred on most bikes now.
I am here. Where are you?
mjr

Post by mjr »

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49627 fromthe "too good to lose" listing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Get the ref (did the witness get it?) get a police reference number, talk to your insurers (home insurance) and get a bike check up at a proper lbs.

If you are *sure* you are ok, then just talk to the driver - have a provisional sum in mind - they might prefer not to involve their insurance company.

I spoke to the police and they said I did not need a ref number as it was not a hit and run.

Looking at the bike the rear derailer is bent and there is a bit of other damage. I dont drive so I only use a mobile mechanic.

Could I just go back to him with a reasonable estimate? Do I need real quotes...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You may need something from a recognised dealer because they are believable unless you can get together with the driver and agree whats damaged and a suitable price. Don't mess about. Give him 24 hours to get you some cash or go to his insurannce company. The police have it recorded so there is a number. Get it. The insurance company will want it.
Do not fuss about trying to do it quick and easy if its still going on next week. It means the driver doesn't want to pay up front and doesn't want to tell his insurance company. They have to provided insurance details . Just say, nicely that you need it sorted before Xmas and would they prefer cash or through the company. You will inform the latter if they don not cooperate perfectly.
Go by the book!
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

I am not sure why the police will not give you a reference number. If you have no reference number then it is impossible to get back to the police and refer to the same accident. You would need to give the details all over again.

It is vital to get all crashes reported even if the cycle is the only vehicle involved. This is so that the information appears in the STAT19 data. This is vital so that everybody can later identify dangerous infrastructure. Without the data, improvements will never be made.
mjr

Post by mjr »

atlas_shrugged wrote:It is vital to get all crashes reported even if the cycle is the only vehicle involved. This is so that the information appears in the STAT19 data. This is vital so that everybody can later identify dangerous infrastructure. Without the data, improvements will never be made.

The data is actually called RRCGB. (Reported Road Casualties, Great Britain). The old STATS19 form is gradually being replaced by CRASH (Collision Recording And SHaring).

1982john wrote:I spoke to the police and they said I did not need a ref number as it was not a hit and run.

Police error. Replace police office and try again... ;)

No matter which system the relevant police use, it's important to get collisions reported for the reasons above. I've not heard of a force implying that they'll only let you report a collision if it was a hit and run but it doesn't surprise me. On the other hand, some forces now accept straightforward collision reports through their website.

I think you'll need a proper mechanic quote, not necessarily a branded dealer, but something to show to the insurer it's a real estimate and not what you made up. On which note:
mattsccm wrote:Do not fuss about trying to do it quick and easy if its still going on next week. It means the driver doesn't want to pay up front and doesn't want to tell his insurance company.

Indeed. Even if they pay you direct without claiming off their insurance (maybe they have £1000 excess, who knows), they are probably required by the terms of their insurance to tell their insurer. If it seems like they are trying to avoid doing that, that's basically committing fraud and not a good sign as to their honesty!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Never trust a morton who seems to be friendly and remorseful
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not sure the OP said that the driver was either of those things.