Why wear black?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham
Posts: 233
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Why wear black?

Postby Cowsham » 26 Mar 2020, 8:23pm

I'm starting to think black is best -- that driver (Mr R. Sole ) who held the horn down on me as I exited a T junction many metres away from him wouldn't have seen me from that distance if I hadn't been wearing my high vis. " I thought to myself"

( I was able to give him the W++ker sign when passing him on the main road -- that's how far away the kunt was )

Mike Sales
Posts: 4404
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why wear black?

Postby Mike Sales » 26 Mar 2020, 8:27pm

Cowsham wrote:I'm starting to think black is best -- that driver (Mr R. Sole ) who held the horn down on me as I exited a T junction many metres away from him wouldn't have seen me from that distance if I hadn't been wearing my high vis. " I thought to myself"

( I was able to give him the W++ker sign when passing him on the main road -- that's how far away the kunt was )


He would have seen you in black all right. It is when they hit you that they use that excuse.

Cowsham
Posts: 233
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Why wear black?

Postby Cowsham » 26 Mar 2020, 8:56pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Cowsham wrote:I'm starting to think black is best -- that driver (Mr R. Sole ) who held the horn down on me as I exited a T junction many metres away from him wouldn't have seen me from that distance if I hadn't been wearing my high vis. " I thought to myself"

( I was able to give him the W++ker sign when passing him on the main road -- that's how far away the kunt was )


He would have seen you in black all right. It is when they hit you that they use that excuse.


I'll remember that when I'm laying on the road which I'll blend into before the next car runs me over and finishes the job.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4404
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why wear black?

Postby Mike Sales » 26 Mar 2020, 9:00pm

Cowsham wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Cowsham wrote:I'm starting to think black is best -- that driver (Mr R. Sole ) who held the horn down on me as I exited a T junction many metres away from him wouldn't have seen me from that distance if I hadn't been wearing my high vis. " I thought to myself"

( I was able to give him the W++ker sign when passing him on the main road -- that's how far away the kunt was )


He would have seen you in black all right. It is when they hit you that they use that excuse.


I'll remember that when I'm laying on the road which I'll blend into before the next car runs me over and finishes the job.


I hope that never happens to you. It hasn't yet happened to me in sixty years of cycling. Not to say it is impossible, but that it is very unlikely, no more likely than being injured as a pedestrian or motorist. So cheer up, and don't let them put you off cycling.

Cowsham
Posts: 233
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Why wear black?

Postby Cowsham » 26 Mar 2020, 9:14pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
He would have seen you in black all right. It is when they hit you that they use that excuse.


I'll remember that when I'm laying on the road which I'll blend into before the next car runs me over and finishes the job.


I hope that never happens to you. It hasn't yet happened to me in sixty years of cycling. Not to say it is impossible, but that it is very unlikely, no more likely than being injured as a pedestrian or motorist. So cheer up, and don't let them put you off cycling.


Thanks Mike -- great to hear you've been on the road for over sixty years. Thinking about it I've been doing it for over 50 years and haven't ever been hit by a car -- hit another daft cyclist though when he pulled out of a junction in front of me -- nothing I could have done but both of us OK