Why wear black?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mmcnay

Re: Why wear black?

Post by mmcnay »

Mike Sales wrote:
mmcnay wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
What sort of opinions do you dislike hearing expressed?
Do you think the holders of these sort of opinions read as drunk?

Did I say 'dislike'? Don't think I did. Looks like I just walked into a pub filled with . . .

I just assumed that you might dislike walking into a pub full of opinionated drunks. I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Sorry Mike. You're right, the dislike was in the subtext. Bad writing on my part because I do enjoy watching an argument develop on here. I was trying to be funny, and then became disingenuous. Looks like I'm the opinionated drunk!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mmcnay wrote:
Sorry Mike. You're right, the dislike was in the subtext. Bad writing on my part because I do enjoy watching an argument develop on here. I was trying to be funny, and then became disingenuous. Looks like I'm the opinionated drunk!

Graceful. Accepted.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

John Holiday wrote:My morning & evening commute has recently been in dark ,wet & often foggy weather.
I have been surprised by the number of obviously experienced cyclists riding in all black gear.
They are usually using good lighting, but why put yours at greater risk of being inconspicuous by wearing black?
I appreciate that it is a pity that as vulnerable road users ,we need to dress as canaries on a Christmas tree, but you don't see construction workers on roads or railways in black.
Have recently purchased a Provis top and am conscious that drivers have been giving me a wider birth when overtaking.
Stay safe!

It would be nice to see "evidence" that it makes a difference.

My colleague has bright lights, a fully hiviz top, yet was nearly taken out twice by cars on a single commute this week.

I am the same, Hi-Power front and rear lights with a HiViz top, and you still get left hooked, and close passes. My Air Zound is (anecdotally) a better visual stimulus.... it is amazing how many drivers suddenly see you when you remind them with 100dB

The problem is not the visibility of the cyclist, but the fact that many drivers do not look properly and when they do fail to respond appropriately

If only as much effort and money was spent on driver education
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is a Supermarket Car Park....

There are risk assessments in place that state being in the carpark needs HiViz clothing

Are the pedestrians who walk across this car park without showing Darwinism in action?

Why are these individuals not being criticised when a clear requirement is demonstrated.

Why do parents allow their children to walk from the car to the shop without a Hi-Viz jacket?

If there was an accident ... should any payout be cut because of "contributory negligence" if a Hi-Viz jacket was not worn?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I doubt that being seen is the problem. This afternoon, 4:30 pm, I drove through the single track lanes and came upon an elderly chap in green and black on an unlit bike. A touch of movement was all I needed to see him.
The issue is that drivers fail to act appropriately after seeing you.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is a Street at Night....

It is demonstrable that black (and darker) cars are less visible - shouldn't they be adorned in Hi-Viz

There is proof that darker coloured cars are involved in more accidents - Surely they should be reducing this with Hi-Viz?

Are drivers who choose to drive darker coloured cars "Darwinism" in action?

Should drivers of darker colours be made to increase their visibility with Hi-Viz?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cunobelin wrote:The problem is not the visibility of the cyclist, but the fact that many drivers do not look properly and when they do fail to respond appropriately

Agreed.
Reminds me of an "accident" that happened to me in the 90's when I was a Motorbike Despatch rider.
I was stationary at a roundabout in Chesterfield waiting to go straight over when I was hit from behind and found myself on the bonnet of a car :roll: Luckily the car wasn't going fast but was coming to a stop.I got up and went to the drivers window of the car,a Jaguar XJ6,to find a tiny little old dear driving.I tapped on the window and she wound it down.

"You've just hit me from behind and knocked me off my bike"

"Oh I'm sorry young man,my eyesight isn't as good as it was and I have trouble seeing Motorbikes"

"You're driving a great tank like this and you can't see motorbikes?God help pedestrians"!!!!

With that she wound her window up and just sat there staring forwards!
Luckily the bike only suffered superficially damage,Mirror,indicator and scratches but it could have been much worse :| :x
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

100%JR wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The problem is not the visibility of the cyclist, but the fact that many drivers do not look properly and when they do fail to respond appropriately

Agreed.
Reminds me of an "accident" that happened to me in the 90's when I was a Motorbike Despatch rider.
I was stationary at a roundabout in Chesterfield waiting to go straight over when I was hit from behind and found myself on the bonnet of a car :roll: Luckily the car wasn't going fast but was coming to a stop.I got up and went to the drivers window of the car,a Jaguar XJ6,to find a tiny little old dear driving.I tapped on the window and she wound it down.

"You've just hit me from behind and knocked me off my bike"

"Oh I'm sorry young man,my eyesight isn't as good as it was and I have trouble seeing Motorbikes"

"You're driving a great tank like this and you can't see motorbikes?God help pedestrians"!!!!

With that she wound her window up and just sat there staring forwards!
Luckily the bike only suffered superficially damage,Mirror,indicator and scratches but it could have been much worse :| :x

One of "Aquacars" finest

Approaching a junction I am on the main road, this is a residential road joining), and had a "feeling" that the Taxi was not slowing down enough.... he pulls out straight in front of me. Luckily as I had slowed I could stop about 18" from his door, which is illuminated by a twin set of Exposure lights at 1500 Lumen apiece.

Asked the driver how he could not have seen me...

His reply - "I thought you were a motorbike"
Me, "Sorry - so you saw me and pulled out anyway?"
Taxi Driver... "Motorbikes have better brakes and would have been able to stop quicker"

SO basically whatever road user was approaching, he was not stopping at that junction!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:Approaching a junction I am on the main road, this is a residential road joining), and had a "feeling" that the Taxi was not slowing down enough.... he pulls out straight in front of me.

In similar circumstances I have developed the habit of moving out towards the middle of the road to give me a bit more avoidance room. This has saved me from an off three times, twice in one week in daylight, once when I was a bit drunk under good street lighting.
I am emphatically not criticising Cunobelin, for getting caught. I do not know the clearance or timing he had.
I must have taken this precaution hundreds of times, but it has clearly been worthwhile.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Reasons to wear black, in no particular order:
Chic
Anarchist
Priest
Goth
CBA colour matching
Garment unavailable in other colours
Time triallist with nostalgia
Cultural prescription
Mourning (subset of cultural prescription but for specific occasion or period)

I like colours but not everyone does.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Approaching a junction I am on the main road, this is a residential road joining), and had a "feeling" that the Taxi was not slowing down enough.... he pulls out straight in front of me.

In similar circumstances I have developed the habit of moving out towards the middle of the road to give me a bit more avoidance room. This has saved me from an off three times, twice in one week in daylight, once when I was a bit drunk under good street lighting.
I am emphatically not criticising Cunobelin, for getting caught. I do not know the clearance or timing he had.
I must have taken this precaution hundreds of times, but it has clearly been worthwhile.

You are right, the junction ios always approached with care, I slow and almost "expect" tproblems

In this case, the junction view is obstructed except for the wide pavement so about 15 feet?

All the more reason why the Taxi should not be approaching the junction at speed, or not stopping at the mandatory solid "Stop" line.He was not stopping whatever vehicle was approaching
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

RickH wrote:It always surprises me the number of people with the superhero ability to see apparently invisible cyclists! :lol:

Yes I love it, same applies the annual round of newspaper letters in the autumn, bemoaning the unlit cyclist as the nights draw in... how is it they (drivers) always see these miscreant cyclists but fail to see lit ones in bright clothing..... :lol:

We see black / brown / grey /silver cars and no one berates their drivers for the colour.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bez wrote:...

Even if it were factually correct that your clothes place you at greater risk even when you're perfectly visible by way of illumination—something which is debatable at best—then you can always say "why not reduce your risk even further?"

Why put yourself at greater risk by not having more lighting? Why put yourself at greater risk by not encasing yourself in a car? Why put yourself at greater risk by walking across the road without reflective clothing? Why put yourself at greater risk when walking along the pavement by not wearing a helmet?

It ends up at the "if it saves one life…" philosophy, which is so staggeringly hypocritical and untenable that it's basically a catalogue of cognitive biases rolled up into one concise piece of performance art.

Bravo!
<standing ovation>
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Best not suggest any of those. Reflective clothing for pedestrians is already legally compulsory in some places. :evil:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Best not suggest any of those. Reflective clothing for pedestrians is already legally compulsory in some places. :evil:

Drivers manage to crash into anything a hurtling vehicle can possibly hit, from trees to houses as well as road furniture and other vehicles. When everything within their reach is day-glo Hi-Viz it will be best to wear black.