Folding bicycle choice for London commute

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Brucey

Re: Folding bicycle choice for London commute

Post by Brucey »

Tilley wrote:Looking to obtain a folding bike to use for commute. Takin main line train into Paddington then using bike to cross London through royal parks.
Any advice on what to look out for and r what to avoid on folding bikes would be useful. Whilst I would love a Brompton the budget is limited.

there are several main features to any folding bike

- riding
- folding
- carrying
- buying

Needless to say you can score well in three out of four quite easily, especially if you buy used.

Leaving a bike in London has some appeal, especially if you don't need to ride to and from the station at the other end.

NB if yiou are not travelling at peak hours, you may not need a folding bike at all; you can take normal bikes on many trains, but this (and the folded size they consider to be a folding bicycle) varies with the train operating company.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I currently have a TERN Link D8 and Raleigh Boardwalk, and have previously owned a Brompton and a number of 20" Dahons.

The Brompton had the worst handling by a long way, but the easiest fold.

The TERN has the stiffest frame and handlebar post of the lot. It has a marginally more compact fold I think than the Dahons and the Raleigh with its "N" fold, but it is still a single joint horizontal fold.

An alternative fold is the vertical fold of the Dahon Qix D8.
https://youtu.be/X0k0Uy5aqVc

https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927/Products/DAHQIX

Definitely worth a look. I highly recommend a visit to CH White in Wiltshire to take a look at the many models they have in stock.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:[...] this (and the folded size they consider to be a folding bicycle) varies with the train operating company.

I believe that the company that tried to refine "folding bicycle" as basically Brompton size was first brought back in line and has now lost their franchises. So as long as it folds down to under a metre in any direction, it's ok on all UK mainstream trains at any time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mjr wrote:
Brucey wrote:[...] this (and the folded size they consider to be a folding bicycle) varies with the train operating company.

I believe that the company that tried to refine "folding bicycle" as basically Brompton size was first brought back in line and has now lost their franchises. So as long as it folds down to under a metre in any direction, it's ok on all UK mainstream trains at any time.

I didn't realise that. Is it down in writing anywhere? The last time I tried to find out what size was allowed by each train operating company (several years ago), it took forever to find the correct page on each website, and even then it wasn't always clear.

The reason I ask is that it is always good to have a clear reference to point at, in the event of any dispute.

BTW what is the status of taking folding bikes on the tube these days?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bisikletci

Post by bisikletci »

Brucey wrote:
mjr wrote:

I didn't realise that. Is it down in writing anywhere? The last time I tried to find out what size was allowed by each train operating company (several years ago), it took forever to find the correct page on each website, and even then it wasn't always clear.

The reason I ask is that it is always good to have a clear reference to point at, in the event of any dispute.

BTW what is the status of taking folding bikes on the tube these days?

cheers

According to TFL (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles ... -transport)

Folded cycles
You can take folded cycles anywhere, at any time on all our transport services.

For buses, the driver can decide to not let you travel if it's too busy.

Doesn't seem to give any definition/size limit on folding bikes.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I read somewhere that the limits on folding-bike size are the same as those for suitcases. There are some Web sites around quoting maximum bag sizes, but they don't seem to be widely publicised or enforced. So, if what I read is correct, I think we can assume that a bike that obviously folds and isn't ridiculously larger than a suitcase would be is going to be OK in nearly all cases. Certainly that's my experience.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:
mjr wrote:

It seems I am out of date too, but in a good way! The metre limit has gone and now a folding bike just needs to fit into a luggage rack... which in practice is the same thing at worst.

Conditions 22 and 23 of the National Rail Conditions at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46427.aspx
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mjr wrote:
It seems I am out of date too, but in a good way! The metre limit has gone and now a folding bike just needs to fit into a luggage rack... which in practice is the same thing at worst.

Conditions 22 and 23 of the National Rail Conditions at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46427.aspx

Well, mine certainly doesn't and AFAIK neither does a more normal 20" wheel folder on the IETs but I have yet to check definitively.

The good news is that the 24" is never queried and sometimes complimented by train staff. And most of the time there isn't actually a problem with an unreserved full size bike. It's all down to time and place!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:
mjr wrote:

Well, mine certainly doesn't and AFAIK neither does a more normal 20" wheel folder on the IETs but I have yet to check definitively.

I don't remember what luggage racks the IETs have fitted but I thought some of the bike cupboards were instead used for large luggage and that's why the full-size bike capacity was so poor? A 20"-wheel folding bike should fit in there.

The similar LNER Azumas are having extra luggage racks fitted in place of two windowless seats. I expect them to be similar size to those on Electrostars, which folding bikes fit into on both upper and lower shelves.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've only once used a luggage shelf for my 20" Tern folder (C7) on a Virgin IET and it was a few years ago. It was on the narrow vertical "stack" of shelves at the end of a carriage and the bike fitted comfortably but snugly (like it was designed for it).

I find the 20" folders a bit unwieldy for a lot of public transport travel, especially buses - I reckon you need about the same room as a folding pram/pushchair (which not only makes it difficult, it makes me feel very guilty if someone with a pram tries to get on after me). How much a Brompton would alleviate this, I do not know.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
horizon

Post by horizon »

freiston wrote: How much a Brompton would alleviate this, I do not know.

The Brompton is obviously going to be better in this regard (and it's a good bike in many other respects). But I think that aspect is overkill for trains if the trade-off is smaller wheels and a (much) higher price.

Buses are different. I've been using my Dahon and Tern 20" folders on buses since the start of the last year. That's about 30 - 40 journeys on different buses. So far I haven't met anyone else with a folder and of course due to covid the buses haven't been busy. I decided not to use my 24" Tern on the bus and replaced it with the 20". It's been absolutely fine. I carry the bike in one hand and two panniers in the other. Once off the bus I do the hilly, muddy routes I normally do and the 20" wheels are a blessing IMV.

Yes, on the bus the smaller the better (and so the Brompton wins in this regard). But if you don't wish to make the trade-off to smaller wheels, you really don't have to IMV.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

First of all, check the space its going to be stored in when you get to work. Any risk of you (or anyone else) at your place of work getting oil on trousers/skirts? For me, that would be a deciding factor, both in storage and on the train/bus or whatever. When folded, is the chain/gears etc iin the middle, or on the outside?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Have a poke around caravan and motorhome forums that have sales pages. As mentioned above, folders go well with those contraptions.
nigel8322

Post by nigel8322 »

It's often convenient to have a bag into which a Brompton fits easily when using public transport. The IKEA 'Dimpa' bag fits perfectly and is strong and easily folded fairly small. They cost £3 from IKEA, but I've seen them on Amazon and Ebay at up to £20! Buyer beware?!
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Another plus point for a Brompton is that they hold their value. I sold mine after six years of hard usage and only lost about 15% of the cost of it.