Festive 500

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Festive 500

Post by PH »

Anyone else with nothing better to do over the next few days than chase a Rapha roundel?
The mild weather ought to make it less changeling than some years, though I remember last year was fairly benign. I've entered again, my 8th or 9th, feel a bit of a fraud this year as I'd be riding at least half of it anyway and I'm not doing an extra 500. The keenest riders will be out in an hour or so and probably have a couple of hundred in before I get on the bike. How about you?
gaz

Re: Festive 500

Post by gaz »

Should be out of work about 2:30pm tomorrow, not back in until 6th Jan.

No plans apart from the 6/7mile commute. Probably fit in some quaxing and maybe a cafe run to avoid going stir crazy but I don't expect to get beyond double figures in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I successfully completed it last year, but it’s very time-hungry. You’ve got to be riding pretty much everyday for at least 3 hours and if you miss a day or two, it’s quite hard to catch up. I enjoyed it, but I won’t be doing it again this year,even though I’ll be getting out on the bike quite a bit. I prefer to just enjoy going out and not have the pressure of having to ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Initially I thought I would not do another, but last year did it while cooking a large ovarian cyst, so this year have to do the post-op one.... Though my throat might have other ideas as it feels a bit delicate.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Update; First 112km ticked off.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Good luck Eil!

If anyone's in the Brizzle area, they could look at this (the only Audax running in the next 10 days):
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-507/
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

This is the last year you’ll get a woven badge. It will be digital badge only from now. I got just over 100 Kms ticked off today.
PH

Post by PH »

Stinking cold :?
120 over two days, but today was going to be a big ride and I'm unlikely to go out. I can afford not to ride for a couple of days but if I'm not feeling better by the weekend, I'm out.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I was considering doing it again this year but was never fully committed to it. I managed 32 miles in strong winds on Xmas Eve, no miles yesterday despite it being beautifully sunny with light winds, and now the wind is blowing and the rain beating against the window! I will get out this afternoon no matter what but it won't be enough miles to make the 500 feasible without impacting too much on the rest of my life.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve got 210 miles left to do after today’s effort, in some horrific conditions. I reckon I’ll get it done.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Local 10 mile TT and topped up the miles with a ride to local cafe that had been taken over by volunteers for a Macmillan coffee morning. 22 miles only but still 7 ahead...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

eileithyia wrote:Local 10 mile TT and topped up the miles with a ride to local cafe that had been taken over by volunteers for a Macmillan coffee morning. 22 miles only but still 7 ahead...

Ouch - using a 10 to count is doing it the hard way! I hope you had better weather than us wherever you are. This was the first 'orrible Dec26th that I can remember since I started going to the morning 10 - we had a whopping 8 riders, and 5 helpers/hangers-on!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

mattheus wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Local 10 mile TT and topped up the miles with a ride to local cafe that had been taken over by volunteers for a Macmillan coffee morning. 22 miles only but still 7 ahead...

Ouch - using a 10 to count is doing it the hard way! I hope you had better weather than us wherever you are. This was the first 'orrible Dec26th that I can remember since I started going to the morning 10 - we had a whopping 8 riders, and 5 helpers/hangers-on!

It's all miles and it all counts :lol: Would have been riding the 10 anyway. Yes it was windy but only one way, and some of the return leg was sheltered, the showery spats of rain that started just as we got to sign on, eased and virtually held off for the event, it was a back wind to the cafe and family had gone in the van so I did not have to ride back into the wind and rain.... which arrived with full force around 12:30 :lol:

I saw that some of the festive 10's had far worse weather and I believe the New Forest event was shortened to 2.7 miles (or similar) due to flooded roads.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

85km to go....
gaz

Post by gaz »

Festive 50km completed today. Might see if I can make it 50 miles by year end :wink: .