Festive 500

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 5224
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Festive 500

Postby foxyrider » 29 Dec 2019, 7:42pm

I easily smashed it - each way on the coach to Germany!

Sadly no riding so far in the qualifying period :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 30 Dec 2019, 10:12pm

Done 512km with a day in hand.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

PH
Posts: 9775
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Festive 500

Postby PH » 31 Dec 2019, 9:26am

eileithyia wrote:Done 512km with a day in hand.

Well done!
And good luck to anyone still with a bit to do on the last day.
My cold didn't improve and I haven't ridden since Christmas day, I could have got out yesterday but I was unlikely to put much of a dent in the 350 outstanding and too busy to ride today.... disappointing particularly with the news this is the last cloth roundel.

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 1 Jan 2020, 10:03am

PH wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Done 512km with a day in hand.

Well done!
And good luck to anyone still with a bit to do on the last day.
My cold didn't improve and I haven't ridden since Christmas day, I could have got out yesterday but I was unlikely to put much of a dent in the 350 outstanding and too busy to ride today.... disappointing particularly with the news this is the last cloth roundel.


Thanks. Sorry to hear of your cold. I had slight signs of a dry / uncomfy throat on Xmas Eve and was quite 'snotty' to begin with that day. Managed to hold it off and feel fine for the duration, then overnight have developed a 'nice' head cold :(

As said a shame that they are withdrawing the cloth badge but I guess it is a phenomenally expensive exercise with the numbers who do complete it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

willswitchengage
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2018, 7:37pm

Re: Festive 500

Postby willswitchengage » 2 Jan 2020, 11:53am

Completed four years in a row now and massively devastated that this will be the final year with a woven roundel. However reading earlier in the year of Rapha's financial difficulties I am not surprised - maybe 10,000 people finished above me on the Strava challenge and let's say £2 per entrant to manufacture and ship the roundel - you can see the cost adds up.

I love the event and it creates a lot of memories - the challenge of fitting in rides at a busy time of the year against the hostility of darkness and inclement weather. I'm hoping an option is presented in future to buy a roundel - or failing that volunteer to have a batch commissioned for myself and other like-minded forum users.

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 2 Jan 2020, 5:22pm

willswitchengage wrote:Completed four years in a row now and massively devastated that this will be the final year with a woven roundel. However reading earlier in the year of Rapha's financial difficulties I am not surprised - maybe 10,000 people finished above me on the Strava challenge and let's say £2 per entrant to manufacture and ship the roundel - you can see the cost adds up.

I love the event and it creates a lot of memories - the challenge of fitting in rides at a busy time of the year against the hostility of darkness and inclement weather. I'm hoping an option is presented in future to buy a roundel - or failing that volunteer to have a batch commissioned for myself and other like-minded forum users.



Yes it was in my mind that it must be an expensive undertaking considering the numbers across the world that take part. I certainly would happily buy a badge if it was available in future.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 1663
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Festive 500

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 8 Jan 2020, 5:29pm

eileithyia wrote:
willswitchengage wrote:Completed four years in a row now and massively devastated that this will be the final year with a woven roundel. However reading earlier in the year of Rapha's financial difficulties I am not surprised - maybe 10,000 people finished above me on the Strava challenge and let's say £2 per entrant to manufacture and ship the roundel - you can see the cost adds up.

I love the event and it creates a lot of memories - the challenge of fitting in rides at a busy time of the year against the hostility of darkness and inclement weather. I'm hoping an option is presented in future to buy a roundel - or failing that volunteer to have a batch commissioned for myself and other like-minded forum users.



Yes it was in my mind that it must be an expensive undertaking considering the numbers across the world that take part. I certainly would happily buy a badge if it was available in future.


I think there may well be a woven badge available in future, as well as the digital finishers badge, but the woven one will only be available if you purchase it.

willswitchengage
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2018, 7:37pm

Re: Festive 500

Postby willswitchengage » 3 Mar 2020, 8:25pm

Anyone got their badge yet? IIRC they said it'd arrive in February. Hopefully not caught up in corona chaos in their transit from China.

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 4 Mar 2020, 5:18pm

No, but am sure when someone asked the same question last year it arrived within days.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

willswitchengage
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2018, 7:37pm

Re: Festive 500

Postby willswitchengage » 18 Mar 2020, 6:24pm

Still nothing :(

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 18 Mar 2020, 8:20pm

:-( nor me.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 1663
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Festive 500

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 18 Mar 2020, 8:23pm

eileithyia wrote::-( nor me.


Really? I have a suspicion that there may be an apocalyptic plague sweeping the world at the moment. I’ve been so busy buying van loads of bog roll and hand sanitisers, I’ve forgotten about the Rapha 500 Roundel.

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 19 Mar 2020, 8:48am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
eileithyia wrote::-( nor me.


Really? I have a suspicion that there may be an apocalyptic plague sweeping the world at the moment. I’ve been so busy buying van loads of bog roll and hand sanitisers, I’ve forgotten about the Rapha 500 Roundel.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

willswitchengage
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2018, 7:37pm

Re: Festive 500

Postby willswitchengage » 27 Mar 2020, 8:34am

IT'S HERE!!!!11

Well worth incessantly posting about it.

eileithyia
Posts: 8117
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Festive 500

Postby eileithyia » 27 Mar 2020, 8:59am

Oooh wasn't sure if they would be sent out during these times... something to cheer us up in these times and post to look forward to . :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells