Parking in Cycle Lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Parking in Cycle Lanes

Postby MikeF » 29 Dec 2019, 4:01pm

John Holiday wrote:Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
I didn't know they existed. There must be mistake somewhere. :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

John Holiday

Postby John Holiday » 31 Dec 2019, 5:40pm

Yes,surprisingly in Deeside, Chester & North East Wales area ,there are a few excellent routes that we Sustrans Rangers look after.
Unfortunately, they often don't interlink very well.due to local authority lack of interest.
None of them have had Cycling Officers for years & are totally fixated on satisfying vehicle owners.
A safe & healthy New Year to all.

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 31 Dec 2019, 8:17pm

John Holiday wrote:I agree about widths, as often do tandem rides with those with visual impairment & ride trikes & side by side for those with learning difficulties.
We recently had a meeting with Councillors & Sustrans managers regarding the access problems created by 'A' frames,chicanes ,kissing gates etc.
However, I would rather see more dedicated dual use paths of limited width, than not having facilities at all.

Someone should have a word with Sustrans about the terrible chicane they installed to replace the rediculously narrow A frame at Biddick Lane on the C2C in Washington, it doesn't even conform to the guidance they advocate others use :?

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Jan 2020, 1:28am

sirmy wrote:
Someone should have a word with Sustrans about the terrible chicane they installed to replace the rediculously narrow A frame at Biddick Lane on the C2C in Washington, it doesn't even conform to the guidance they advocate others use :?

Why not you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 3 Jan 2020, 6:34am

mjr wrote:
sirmy wrote:

Why not you?

I did. The chicane was put in using metal bollards taken from somewhere else and when they were installed they were left with jagged, rusting edges where rails had been removed from them. The way they've been put in makes it impossible to ride through, it's even difficult to scoot a bike bike through it. You may as well shout at the wind. How can you have any respect for an organisation that cannot even follow its own much trumpeted designs? I'm sure that many of the volunteers are energetic and enthusiastic but it looks like they're lead by donkeys

mjr

Postby mjr » 3 Jan 2020, 9:33am

sirmy wrote:
mjr wrote:
sirmy wrote:

Why not you?

I did. The chicane was put in using metal bollards taken from somewhere else and when they were installed they were left with jagged, rusting edges where rails had been removed from them. The way they've been put in makes it impossible to ride through, it's even difficult to scoot a bike bike through it. You may as well shout at the wind.

Can you quote the key part(s) of their reply so we can try to deal with that in our emails and avoid getting copy-pasta of the same, please? Also, who replied, so we can see if there's someone else to ask.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.