Parking in Cycle Lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Parking in Cycle Lanes

Post by John Holiday »

Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
However,several sections of busy main road unavoidable, albeit with a cycle lane clearly marked.
The problem was car drivers parked on the lane ,thus forcing one out into the traffic stream.
At one point there was even a Police car parked partly on pavement and partially blocking the cycle lane!
At another point there was a large newish Bentley parked on double yellow lines & blocking the cycle lane.
When I pointed out to the driver that this was unacceptable, got the inevitable stream of foul language and threats of violence.
How will we ever get over to motorists that this is not acceptable?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Parking in Cycle Lanes

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The only way is separate cycle lanes, so they are inaccessible to motors
Traffic warders issue lots of tickets to vehicles parked -legally- but over time
Vehicles parked illegally, on junctions, pavements, cycleways, are ignored
Perverse I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I think a lot of cycle paths were made to comply with the instructions of that well known cyclist, John Prescott.
The instruction made requirements for length and little else.
I believe that cycle paths have much the same status as footpaths - it is not illegal to be parked on a pavement but it is illegal to drive on it :?
BTW there is a local off road shared use path - it's reasonably wide and tarmacced - a couple of months ago I was riding on it and it was blocked by a Eddie Stobart HGV.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

John Holiday wrote:. .......How will we ever get over to motorists that this is not acceptable?

Put simply,you won't so long as it's allowed by the police and authoirties cyclists are on a loser.
It's what you get with a backward country with no law enforcement generally and even less for cyclists
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote:I believe that cycle paths have much the same status as footpaths - it is not illegal to be parked on a pavement but it is illegal to drive on it :?

No, while the 1830s law on footways bans driving but not parking (because who would leave a horsedrawn carriage on the huh like that?) the 1980s law on cycle tracks also bans driving on them. Sadly, the updated current 2010s law on cycle lanes failed to ban parking on them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

We've got a right muppet down here who has parked one of those advertising lorries in what was the entrance off the dual-carriaeway into a car sales place. This entrance crosses a well-used cycle path and the lorry is right in the way. You can either slow down and squeeze past on one side or turn towards the dual-carrlageway which must be disconcerting for drivers on the dual-carriageway who must think you're about to flick onto the DC (and coming home it's against the flow so it must look like hari-kari).

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Steve

Post by Steve »

John Holiday wrote:Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
However,several sections of busy main road unavoidable, albeit with a cycle lane clearly marked.
The problem was car drivers parked on the lane ,thus forcing one out into the traffic stream.
At one point there was even a Police car parked partly on pavement and partially blocking the cycle lane!
At another point there was a large newish Bentley parked on double yellow lines & blocking the cycle lane.
When I pointed out to the driver that this was unacceptable, got the inevitable stream of foul language and threats of violence.
How will we ever get over to motorists that this is not acceptable?

Solid or broken white line?
If broken, then likely that no restrictions on parking in the cycle lane.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
John Holiday wrote:. .......How will we ever get over to motorists that this is not acceptable?

Put simply,you won't so long as it's allowed by the police and authoirties cyclists are on a loser.
It's what you get with a backward country with no law enforcement generally and even less for cyclists

Portsmouth is classic

They are on the pavement causing an obstruction, Council cannot do anything - it is a Police matter
However because it is a parking offence, the POlice can do nothing because Parking is a civil matter and the responsibility of the Council

.. and so on ad infinitum
drossall

Post by drossall »

Steve wrote:Solid or broken white line?
If broken, then likely that no restrictions on parking in the cycle lane.

This. We've got advisory (broken-line) lanes all along the main road in our estate. On one side, they are used almost exclusively as extra parking for the station, but nothing illegal about that :(
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Yes,we definitely need a proper kerb or other demarcation. A white line never saved anyone!
Manchester has recently installed lengthy sections which are proving very successful.
Whilst in Malta recently saw 'armadillo ' type kerbs at 2/3 m intervals which were a great deterrent to encroachment.
I read yesterday that the Finish Government have decided to spend a huge proportion of their Transport budget on Active Travel.
We obviously need something similar, but our Politicians are loath to irritate drivers,by reducing road space.
There have been recent proposals in our local High Street to de-pedestrianise,because people are too lazy to walk a few yards from Car Parks.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

John Holiday wrote:Yes,we definitely need a proper kerb or other demarcation. A white line never saved anyone!
Not while such lanes are only about 2 feet wide with half that space occupied by drains. Cycles are not always single track vehicles and these lanes must accommodate things as wide as a Christiania cargo trike which is almost 90cm (35") wide hence each lane needs to be that plus clearance from drains plus a bit - more than 4 feet before any kerb or similar hazard .
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

John Holiday wrote:Yes,we definitely need a proper kerb or other demarcation. A white line never saved anyone!
Manchester has recently installed lengthy sections which are proving very successful.
Whilst in Malta recently saw 'armadillo ' type kerbs at 2/3 m intervals which were a great deterrent to encroachment.
I read yesterday that the Finish Government have decided to spend a huge proportion of their Transport budget on Active Travel.
We obviously need something similar, but our Politicians are loath to irritate drivers,by reducing road space.
There have been recent proposals in our local High Street to de-pedestrianise,because people are too lazy to walk a few yards from Car Parks.

It's a perennial problem that can only be solvd by a complete rethink of transport,but the UK doesn't do radical it would rather choke than have active travel even mentioned let alone implemented.Your Bentley driving antagonist proves the point clearly,he isn't alone in his perceived right to drive and park wherever he wishes at the expense of other road users.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

I agree about widths, as often do tandem rides with those with visual impairment & ride trikes & side by side for those with learning difficulties.
We recently had a meeting with Councillors & Sustrans managers regarding the access problems created by 'A' frames,chicanes ,kissing gates etc.
However, I would rather see more dedicated dual use paths of limited width, than not having facilities at all.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

John Holiday wrote: access problems created by 'A' frames,chicanes ,kissing gates etc.
However, I would rather see more dedicated dual use paths of limited width, than not having facilities at all.
When I talk to people about these problems I say "imagine you are driving a 32 ton articulated lorry following a signed HGV route when you come across a section only suitable for 7.5 tonners. That is what it is like trying to use so called cycle facilities for those who are not mounted on a short two wheeler." Then they can picture the issues.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

.. not mounted on a short light two-wheeler and able to jump off and carry their steed up and down steps and curbs :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies