Parking in Cycle Lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Parking in Cycle Lanes

Post by MikeF »

John Holiday wrote:Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
I didn't know they existed. There must be mistake somewhere. :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Yes,surprisingly in Deeside, Chester & North East Wales area ,there are a few excellent routes that we Sustrans Rangers look after.
Unfortunately, they often don't interlink very well.due to local authority lack of interest.
None of them have had Cycling Officers for years & are totally fixated on satisfying vehicle owners.
A safe & healthy New Year to all.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

John Holiday wrote:I agree about widths, as often do tandem rides with those with visual impairment & ride trikes & side by side for those with learning difficulties.
We recently had a meeting with Councillors & Sustrans managers regarding the access problems created by 'A' frames,chicanes ,kissing gates etc.
However, I would rather see more dedicated dual use paths of limited width, than not having facilities at all.

Someone should have a word with Sustrans about the terrible chicane they installed to replace the rediculously narrow A frame at Biddick Lane on the C2C in Washington, it doesn't even conform to the guidance they advocate others use :?
mjr

Post by mjr »

sirmy wrote:
Someone should have a word with Sustrans about the terrible chicane they installed to replace the rediculously narrow A frame at Biddick Lane on the C2C in Washington, it doesn't even conform to the guidance they advocate others use :?

Why not you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

mjr wrote:
sirmy wrote:

Why not you?

I did. The chicane was put in using metal bollards taken from somewhere else and when they were installed they were left with jagged, rusting edges where rails had been removed from them. The way they've been put in makes it impossible to ride through, it's even difficult to scoot a bike bike through it. You may as well shout at the wind. How can you have any respect for an organisation that cannot even follow its own much trumpeted designs? I'm sure that many of the volunteers are energetic and enthusiastic but it looks like they're lead by donkeys
mjr

Post by mjr »

sirmy wrote:
mjr wrote:
sirmy wrote:

Why not you?

I did. The chicane was put in using metal bollards taken from somewhere else and when they were installed they were left with jagged, rusting edges where rails had been removed from them. The way they've been put in makes it impossible to ride through, it's even difficult to scoot a bike bike through it. You may as well shout at the wind.

Can you quote the key part(s) of their reply so we can try to deal with that in our emails and avoid getting copy-pasta of the same, please? Also, who replied, so we can see if there's someone else to ask.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

"New civil parking enforcement (CPE) for Cherwell, South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse"
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/resident ... ment-areas

One month in:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19735 ... forcement/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

While getting up date on the subject of parking in cycle lanes I found this

Advice Note: Power to Use Cameras to Enforce Parking and Loading Restrictions within Mandatory Cycle Lanes

https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... cle%20lane.

With my apologies if anybody has linked to this before.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cunobelin wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 8:31pm
reohn2 wrote:
John Holiday wrote:. .......How will we ever get over to motorists that this is not acceptable?
Put simply,you won't so long as it's allowed by the police and authoirties cyclists are on a loser.
It's what you get with a backward country with no law enforcement generally and even less for cyclists

Portsmouth is classic

They are on the pavement causing an obstruction, Council cannot do anything - it is a Police matter
However because it is a parking offence, the POlice can do nothing because Parking is a civil matter and the responsibility of the Council

.. and so on ad infinitum
Actually whether parking is a civil matter or a criminal mater depends on whether the parking causes a danger to other road users - dangerous parking falls within the 1983* highways act and Police are instructed to take action. However you may have to read out that part of the act to get the police to respond, or threaten it take it to their Sargent if they don't.
Driving a motor vehicle on the pavement is illegal although the police don't somehow connect that a vehicle parked on the pavement is evidence of it being driven on the pavement.
Where there is a dropped kerb, there is an invitation to cross a pavement, but it is only to cross, and not an invitation to park or obstruct.
(* I think that was the year)
It's time to go :-)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cycle tramp
You seem to forget that the police don't give monkey's unless someone's injured or killed,it's what you get with an undermanned politicised police force,struggling with an overwhelming workload in a land that thinks cycling and cyclists are nothing but a nuisance at best and should be banned from the roads at worst.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

John Holiday wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 3:21pm Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
However,several sections of busy main road unavoidable, albeit with a cycle lane clearly marked.
The problem was car drivers parked on the lane ,thus forcing one out into the traffic stream.
You ARE traffic and have just as every bit as much right to use the traffic lane as people driving cars. There is no requirement to cringe in the gutter just because the council painted cycle symbols there to facilitate close passes in order to keep the "proper" traffic moving - and if that means drivers suffer a few seconds delay then tough.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete Owens wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 11:30am
John Holiday wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 3:21pm Just back from a twenty odd mile ride into Chester,much of it on excellent traffic free Sustrans route.
However,several sections of busy main road unavoidable, albeit with a cycle lane clearly marked.
The problem was car drivers parked on the lane ,thus forcing one out into the traffic stream.
You ARE traffic and have just as every bit as much right to use the traffic lane as people driving cars. There is no requirement to cringe in the gutter just because the council painted cycle symbols there to facilitate close passes in order to keep the "proper" traffic moving - and if that means drivers suffer a few seconds delay then tough.
But they don't suffer and a significant number of motorists just abuse cyclists either in obuse possibly unkown ways or in a more overt and dangerous fashion.
I've spent years riding on the road being abused in one way or another by drivers until finally I have to admit becoming worn down by it,as a result I finally spent as little time on the road as was humanly possible.
Keep reinforcing your view but the UK motoring public have other ideas
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

John Holiday wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 9:41am Yes,we definitely need a proper kerb or other demarcation. A white line never saved anyone!
They are not intended to save anyone - their sole purpose is to prevent us from obstructing flow of motor traffic. To see how much worse cycle lanes make conditions for cyclists take a look at:
http://wcc.crankfoot.xyz/report/cycle-lanes.pdf
Manchester has recently installed lengthy sections which are proving very successful.
Manchester cycle lanes are dreadful. Rather than a white line on the bit of road you want to cycle on you now might find a kerb, or a plastic hump or a post obstructing your progress. At least a white line is easy to cross at times when you might not want to be in the gutter.

My daughter lives there and has on a number of occasions changed her commute to avoid the hazards these things cause.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 11:45am
Pete Owens wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 11:30am
But they don't suffer and a significant number of motorists just abuse cyclists either in obuse possibly unkown ways or in a more overt and dangerous fashion.
Certainly the existence of cycle lanes brings the worst out in motorists. Some get angry when they see cyclists riding in what they see as "their" lane - in the same way some cyclists get angry when motorists park in the cycle lane. The only abuse I have suffered in half a century of cycling is for not using cycle paths. Unfortunately it is now quite regular since they built a path next to the road I use to cycle to work.

Paint out the white stripe and we can all use the bit of road appropriate for our use. If someone parks on the left then all the traffic (including cyclists) simply goes round. If a cyclist wants to turn right then do so from the right hand lane - If a motorist wants to turn left then do so from the left hand lane - and your paths won't cross through the junction.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Pete Owens wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 12:07pm Certainly the existence of cycle lanes brings the worst out in motorists. Some get angry when they see cyclists riding in what they see as "their" lane - in the same way some cyclists get angry when motorists park in the cycle lane. The only abuse I have suffered in half a century of cycling is for not using cycle paths. Unfortunately it is now quite regular since they built a path next to the road I use to cycle to work.

Paint out the white stripe and we can all use the bit of road appropriate for our use. If someone parks on the left then all the traffic (including cyclists) simply goes round. If a cyclist wants to turn right then do so from the right hand lane - If a motorist wants to turn left then do so from the left hand lane - and your paths won't cross through the junction.
I have been abused numerous times by motorists, and the same one on several occasions on my morning commute because I wasn't using the shared cycle/pedestrian path adjacent to the carriage way.

I've complained to the council about the suitability of the path in that it isn't wide enough to safely accommodate cyclist and pedestrians together. Some drivers wrongly believe the highway code compels us to use cycle paths, and it's their ignorance of the rules that causes the problem.

In terms of people parking in cycle lanes I see it all too often on my commute. The further away from the town centre, the less likely traffic enforcement officers are likely to patrol these areas. They are clearly marked 'No parking Mon-Fri, 0800 -1800', and I'm regularly having to overtake parked cars on my way home. As I leave the house at 0630-0645 I expect their to be parked cars in the lane.

What is worse though at the moment is the council haven't cleared the leaves from the cycle lanes, so I don't tend to ride in these lane. However the number of times motorists have tried to bully their way past when all I am trying to do is ride safely is pretty alarming. It all boils down to general ignorance.