On-road cycling in Southern Norway

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ray

On-road cycling in Southern Norway

Post by Ray »

Thinking about a week or so in Southern Norway in May/June. Not a full-on cycling holiday, but will take my road bike with a view to a few forays - maybe a couple of hours at a time - into the countryside. Much of the info on tourist sites seems to include off-roading, but I'm a tarmac man by preference, especially as a lightweight road bike is what fits inside the car most easily!

Anyone on here done that sort of thing? Will be arriving on the ferry at Kristiansand, and maybe looking for a chalet/cottage towards Stavanger - although Norway will be new to me, so could easily be persuaded to head east from the ferry if anyone has a better idea!

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
rotavator

Re: On-road cycling in Southern Norway

Post by rotavator »

I have cycled a bit around Stavanger when I was working there a few years ago. There are plenty of cycle paths in and around town.

You should check for tunnels when planning routes, see the statensvegvesen website. You can avoid some by using the old road that predates the tunnel. Also check when mountain roads are due to reopen after being snowed in over winter.

Food and booze are very expensive as you probably know.

I would go between May and September. Beware there are lots of bank holidays in May but it is a beautiful time of year.
Ray

Re: On-road cycling in Southern Norway

Post by Ray »

Thank you, that's very helpful, and I must spend a bit more time looking at the statensvegvesen website and the cycling routes suggested. Haven't booked anything yet, so won't necessarily stick to Stavanger as a base.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell