Speed humps - may damage immune system

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
atlas_shrugged
Posts: 333
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 7:50pm

Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby atlas_shrugged » 9 Jan 2020, 9:55am

Work by scientists at Kings college London shows that pollution resulting from speed humps may damage the immune system:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/202 ... ould-help/

This will affect everybody - not just the people driving the cars. Could speed control be done in a better way e.g. by ANPR/ Average speed cameras? This would have the advantage of sanctions being applied to offenders and not to the law-abiding. Removing speed humps and putting in better alternatives: reduces pollution, increases fuel efficiency (for motor vehicles), and reduces damage to vehicles, reduces damage to riders and passengers.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15052
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby mjr » 9 Jan 2020, 10:42am

Let's just shoot the idiot drivers who speed up after road humps so much they have to brake for the next one. Sniper squads positioned at random. There will be some short term pollution from crashed cars but I bet they would learn quickly.

More seriously, let's publicise that hump-accelerate-brake-hump-repeat is antisocial vehicle use then hand out some section 59 warnings and repeat offenders lose their cars. It just needs temporary CCTV to watch the brake lights over two humps at a control, which should be cheaper than permanent average speed cameras and ticketing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4506
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Jan 2020, 11:03am

It is not the speed humps which damage the immune system, it's the idiot drivers and car use which produces these pollutants.
The lesson to be drawn, is not that any attempt to clean our air is futile, but that this method could be improved upon.
Another conclusion from this study which is not drawn, or at least not reported, is that electric cars will still produce a lot of the same pollution, from tyres and brakes.

kwackers
Posts: 14379
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby kwackers » 9 Jan 2020, 11:24am

Mike Sales wrote:Another conclusion from this study which is not drawn, or at least not reported, is that electric cars will still produce a lot of the same pollution, from tyres and brakes.

Well, tyres. Unless you're stamping on the brakes most electric cars won't use the friction brakes.

Acceleration of IC cars is by far the biggest creation of particulates. Most cars are only doing a couple of miles to a gallon whilst accelerating, whilst braking requires acceleration to get back to speed.
In comparison tyre wear contributions from EV's will be a teeny tiny fraction.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4506
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Jan 2020, 11:34am

kwackers wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Another conclusion from this study which is not drawn, or at least not reported, is that electric cars will still produce a lot of the same pollution, from tyres and brakes.

Well, tyres. Unless you're stamping on the brakes most electric cars won't use the friction brakes.

Acceleration of IC cars is by far the biggest creation of particulates. Most cars are only doing a couple of miles to a gallon whilst accelerating, whilst braking requires acceleration to get back to speed.
In comparison tyre wear contributions from EV's will be a teeny tiny fraction.


The idiot drivers who generate more pollutants over traffic humps do it by heavy footed driving. Will they still manage to do the same with electric cars?

kwackers
Posts: 14379
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby kwackers » 9 Jan 2020, 12:07pm

Mike Sales wrote:The idiot drivers who generate more pollutants over traffic humps do it by heavy footed driving. Will they still manage to do the same with electric cars?

I'm sure there'll be some.
Most EV drivers I know develop and are proud of their "one foot driving" capability whose innate nature is to promote smooth driving (and not use the brakes).
But even if they did the particulates thrown up by brakes pale into nothingness compared to those thrown out by an IC whilst accelerating (particularly a diesel).

For sure the real problem is stupidity though.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17929
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Vorpal » 9 Jan 2020, 12:20pm

Speed humps don't damage immune systems.

Stuff like this is not seeing the trees for the forest. We need to get rid of the cars, not the speed humps.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mike Sales
Posts: 4506
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Jan 2020, 12:26pm

kwackers wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The idiot drivers who generate more pollutants over traffic humps do it by heavy footed driving. Will they still manage to do the same with electric cars?

I'm sure there'll be some.
Most EV drivers I know develop and are proud of their "one foot driving" capability whose innate nature is to promote smooth driving (and not use the brakes).
But even if they did the particulates thrown up by brakes pale into nothingness compared to those thrown out by an IC whilst accelerating (particularly a diesel).

For sure the real problem is stupidity though.


Early adopters of EVs will tend to be more thoughtful drivers, but as they become more widespread, their drivers will include more of the stupid.
Nothingness? Or just rather less noxious than a dirty diesel?

kwackers
Posts: 14379
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby kwackers » 9 Jan 2020, 1:05pm

Mike Sales wrote:Nothingness? Or just rather less noxious than a dirty diesel?

Nothing as in relative to a diesel.
Start stop motoring for any reason is a very bad source of pollution. In this sense EV's are massively better.

However nothing is perfect, bicycles have the same problems with tyres and brakes, walking is probably significantly better.

mattheus
Posts: 1542
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby mattheus » 9 Jan 2020, 1:27pm

Vorpal wrote:Speed humps don't damage immune systems.

Stuff like this is not seeing the trees for the forest. We need to get rid of the cars, not the speed humps.


Yes, I did think it was a rather bizarre headline/title.

(Looking for a silver lining here: Speed humps are often part of 1-lane "calming" features. So they should make a route less appealing, which *may* reduce usage... )

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17929
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Vorpal » 9 Jan 2020, 1:30pm

kwackers wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Nothingness? Or just rather less noxious than a dirty diesel?

Nothing as in relative to a diesel.
Start stop motoring for any reason is a very bad source of pollution. In this sense EV's are massively better.

However nothing is perfect, bicycles have the same problems with tyres and brakes, walking is probably significantly better.

EVs produce far more particulates than bicycles. If you compare an electric bicycle powered by electricity from a coal fired plant, the emissions (CO2 & particulates) are less than 1/10th what they are for an electric car.

Furthermore, if you consider the production of resources that go into manufacturing them, and in particular the mining of raw materials, the difference is even bigger.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

kwackers
Posts: 14379
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby kwackers » 9 Jan 2020, 2:18pm

Vorpal wrote:EVs produce far more particulates than bicycles. If you compare an electric bicycle powered by electricity from a coal fired plant, the emissions (CO2 & particulates) are less than 1/10th what they are for an electric car.

Furthermore, if you consider the production of resources that go into manufacturing them, and in particular the mining of raw materials, the difference is even bigger.

Well...

That wasn't really my point.
My point was that nothing (even our beloved bicycles) are perfect. You simply have to decide what you're prepared to accept and currently for me an EV is a huge step up, walking or cycling would be ideal but neither are destined to ever be replacements for a car.

cycle tramp
Posts: 639
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby cycle tramp » 10 Jan 2020, 11:08am

Damn, really? And there was me thinking it was the exhaust gasses from fossil fuel engines...

...er, having worked in local government for as long as I care to remember... speed humps are usually designed in a way as an attempt to control vehicle speeds to avoid the other situation of 'collisions between vulnerable footpath or road users with motor vehicles may damage the immune system'...
...not sure if anyone's carried out a recent study into that phenomenon, so perhaps everyone's just forgotten about it...

peetee
Posts: 1839
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby peetee » 10 Jan 2020, 3:02pm

Having recently returned to driving (through necessity, not laziness) I have made a thorough assessment of the fuel consumption of my vehicle on different roads and speeds. I have not owned a car for 8 years and every penny spent hits me hard. I have taken this on-board and drive everywhere as economically as possible. It's the right thing to do from every perspective and it has made a positive difference to my stress levels when in the car and added an interesting element to what is a tedious and largely wasteful pastime. When you drive like this, reading traffic movements and road layout well in advance, coasting on hills, gentle acceleration etc it becomes very apparent just how few people are putting any thought into driving other than ones that will raise their blood pressure.
To get to the point; there is a road local to me with speed humps and I avoid it. The alternative route is longer but, driven sensibly, I use less fuel and produce less emissions, less noise, less wear and tear on the car and make the lives of the people in the speed bumped village just that little bit less chaotic.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3085
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Speed humps - may damage immune system

Postby Bmblbzzz » 13 Jan 2020, 8:55am

Vorpal wrote:Speed humps don't damage immune systems.

Stuff like this is not seeing the trees for the forest. We need to get rid of the cars, not the speed humps.

Well put.