Feeling a bit pleased with myself...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Two weeks ago, my local rag printed an anti-cycling letter. I read it in the morning before cycling to work, fuming at its content and devising an equally virulent reply.

By the time I got home I had calmed down sufficiently to send a measured reply. I didn't expect any response.

Tonight, my letter has been printed as the Star Letter! Its been fairly heavily edited, but my main point (the reply to our old friend "you don't pay road tax") is there in full! Two other replies are also there and they cover some of my points that have been omitted.

I'm feeling very smug. Oh, and apparently I get a free pen too.....

Jan
diapason

Post by diapason »

Well done!
Advena ego sum in Terra
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Big pat on back from me too!

Mary
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Does your local rag extend to an on-line edition? Can we have a linky?
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
jan19

Post by jan19 »

this is the original letter

Part of the This Is Local London Network

EDITOR'S CHOICE
TOP STORIES

GET OUR NEWS BY E-MAIL
Just register

<<Back to index
Cyclists must obey rules of the road
Comment

MORE and more people for green reasons, fitness or due to the Congestion Charge are riding bicycles.

I know this is good for our environment and I know some cyclists follow the rules of the road, but they are in the minority.

To drive my car on the road I need road tax, insurance and an MOT, and to have taken a driving test.

But to ride a bicycle on the road I need to buy or borrow one.

I do not need to know the Highway Code as I won't be fined for driving through red traffic lights, zig-zagging my way through traffic or driving in bus lanes and on pavements.

And if I should hit your car and scratch the side of it, don't worry, I have no insurance. But your car insurance will cover it for you -pity about the loss of your no claims though.

advertisement
I don't have to wear any protective clothing, including a helmet.

All bicycle riders should pass a proficiency test, which includes general maintenance.

When they have passed the test, the bicycle should be stamped with an ID number which will be entered on the pass certificate and sent to the DVLA with a registration fee.

In return, they will be given a registration document with number plate information, so they can then have a number plate fixed to the bicycle.

All new bicycles should be sold with a registration document, ID number and number plate.

Cyclists should also pay road tax and insurance and have the bicycle tested yearly.

They must be made to wear a helmet and follow the Highway Code.

I am not a moaning car driver. I have ridden bicycles and motorbikes on the road, so I have seen it from all sides.

Christine Andrews
Address supplied

10:03am Wednesday 7th May 2008

and my reply

Janet Pullan

You published a lengthy letter from a Ms Andrews today concerning cycling, and I hope I will be permitted an equally lengthy reply.

Ms Andrews appears to take the stance that cyclists should be subject to all the regulations and financial restrictions that apply to motorists. I don't intend to go through them point by point but some require a response.

Ms Andrews would like cyclists to pay Vehicle Excise Duty as she, like most people, incorrectly believes that such a payment contributes to road maintenance. In fact VED only goes directly to motorway maintenance and the responsibility for local roads lies with the local council who fund it through a combination of council tax, PAYE and local business rate. So I'm sorry Ms Andrews, cyclists, horse riders and even pedestrians who pay any of these have an equal right to the road as motorists do. In fact, given that my humble bicycle causes far less damage to the road than any car does, should more people cycle instead of driving, the roads would need repairing less often, and instead of berating cyclists Ms Andrews should be applauding us for saving her money! I'd happily pay VED as I'd be charged the same as all zero emission vehicles - ie nothing.

Ms Andrews is very concerned that should I hit the side of her car she'd have to pay the bill for the scratches. I'm afraid I probably wouldn't get too concerned about this as should she get so close to me that I hit her, I'd be in a hospital bed or worse. As a cyclist I'm acutely aware of other road users and in any confrontation I would always come off worse. I never cut motorists up, deliberately ride slowly in front of them (the last thing I need is an impatient motorist behind me) or try to inconvenience them in any way. I'm sorry if Ms Andrews is sometimes held up for 10 seconds while I ride along a narrow road, but believe me, I'm going as fast as I can.

As regards registration, number plates etc, I assume its because Ms Andrews would like to identify me should I commit a transgression. Lets get this in perspective. I get as irritated as the next driver (yes, like most cyclists I'm a car driver too) when a cyclist runs a red light. No, its not the majority Ms Andrews - you just notice the ones who do. I'm not for one second justifying this, and its not something I ever do myself, but a cyclist shooting a red light is unlikely to be putting anyone apart from themselves at risk. The same cannot be said for drivers on mobile phones, eating their breakfast, or turning right round in a moving vehicle to talk to their children in the back seat. Yes, I've seen all of those this week. Obviously, Ms Andrews is just as enthusiastic in reporting them to the police.

I've never taken a test, but like most cyclists thought long and hard about whether I considered myself competent to be on the road - its just too dangerous an endeavour to undertake lightly. Passing a driving test is no indication of good driving either. As regards maintenance, I check my bicycle brakes and tyres every day - I depend on them - my car's tyres and brakes are tested once a year.

I have to say I find the vast majority of road users to be considerate, careful and tolerant - I include bus, taxi and white van drivers in this comment. When I can, I try to respond with a nod of appreciation or a smile. At the end of the day , we are all entitled to use the road in which ever way fits our circumstances and far from trying to drive cyclists of the road with unnecessary layers of bureaucracy, Ms Andrews should appreciate that we're entitled to be there too. I'm very sorry if it inconveniences her in any way.

Finally, cycling is cheap, fun, and a wonderful way to keep fit. It would be lovely if more car drivers were prepared to give it a go!

I couldn't get an online link, but the rag is the "News Shopper - Bromley edition"

The headline was " More cyclists would reduce road maintenance"
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

"Feeling a bit pleased with yourself"?

And so you should. A well considered and written reply! Well done

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

What a fantastic reply! Brilliant.

You certainly deserve that pat on the back. Well bloomin' done. Direct to the point and answered all the previous posters stupid comments!

You should work for C2C! They are always looking for a great campaigner! :lol: :lol:

Mary
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Dear Janet,

Go to the top of the class and have a gold star. A brilliant and well measured arguement :D

Alan
Dean

Post by Dean »

Bravo - that is a marvellous piece of writing. It seems rather a waste that it's a response to such an ill-directed rant as the original letter :D
james01

Post by james01 »

Well done. A calm, considered & polite reply. (I would have descended into one of my rants if it was me. Your approach is far more productive!)
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Thanks for posting that, and may I second the "Well Done" comments.

A splendid put-down to the anti-bike rant. (I may steal some of your excellent arguments!)
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

brilliant letter, may we cut and paste it to our own local paper next time a Ms Andrews writes to it ? :D
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

Just read it - thanks for typing that out for us - it's a cracker, well done - there's no answer to that.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

what a beautiful piece of correspondence, it had all the good qualities the first letter didn't.
diapason

Post by diapason »

An excellent letter, Jan - Well done!

N
Advena ego sum in Terra