Tyre advice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: Tyre advice

Post by Jdsk »

In that situation if the rest of the bike was OK then changing the tyres is the first thing that I'd do.

There seem to be extremely varied recommendations and I won''t add to them. I'm just going over a friend's bike at the moment. Only used for commuting, and maybe Ride and Stride. So I set a limit of £20/ tyre and asked him which was more important: speed or puncture resistance. He went for the latter and I've ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Mondials. .

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 13 Feb 2021, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

@jdsk, yeah I really like the rest of the bike - good aluminium frame and have upgraded the gears from the horrible 3 x 7 grip shifters to 3 x 8 Acera that I had on another bike. Its just the tyre noise on tarmac that irritates.

There are a lot of recomendations, but there does seem to be a concensus when it comes to tread pattern so I know what to aim for.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Just ordered a pair of Land Cruisers from Halfords - £11.49 each at the moment (26 x 1.9)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I ordered impac streetpac

impac-streetpac-tire-26-x-1-75-reflective-black-4026495828246-0-l.jpg

not really mtb but it'll give a bit of grip on most surfaces -- haven't got them yet but on the way

Nearest impac Tyres I could get to the schwalby big Ben at half the price.
I am here. Where are you?
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Nebulous wrote:Looking to replace the stock Kenda K481 (27.5 x 1.95") tyres on a Carerra Subway 2.
Mostly road but also use on gravel so would like wider, say 2.25".
Sensibly priced suggestions please, i.e. less than £15 each.
Anyone have experience of the Schwalbe Impac range?

Just some exactly the same on my Subway.

I went for Schwalbe Silento 26x1.75" at £13 a peice from Halfords. First commute today and they were pretty decent.
(Edited - they were £13 each, not £15).
Last edited by ChrisP100 on 16 Feb 2021, 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

Chris56 wrote:Just ordered a pair of Land Cruisers from Halfords - £11.49 each at the moment (26 x 1.9)

I am looking at these Land Cruisers too - are these the sameat £17 for a pair????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-Lan ... 0855482154
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

sneggysteve wrote:
Chris56 wrote:Just ordered a pair of Land Cruisers from Halfords - £11.49 each at the moment (26 x 1.9)

I am looking at these Land Cruisers too - are these the sameat £17 for a pair????

FORGET THAT - ITS NOT FOR 2 :oops: :oops:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

sneggysteve wrote:
sneggysteve wrote:

FORGET THAT - ITS NOT FOR 2 :oops: :oops:

I have 27.5 land cruisers -- thought they roll OK but are quite heavy compared to big Ben's
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote:I ordered impac streetpac

impac-streetpac-tire-26-x-1-75-reflective-black-4026495828246-0-l.jpg

not really mtb but it'll give a bit of grip on most surfaces -- haven't got them yet but on the way

Nearest impac Tyres I could get to the schwalby big Ben at half the price.

Lost in the post so got a refund -- not having much luck with adventure type tyres.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

niggle

Post by niggle »

Cowsham wrote:Ordered a set of these
https://www.vandorm.co.uk/products/vand ... protection

I bought Vandorm 650A tyres for my eldest’s university 3 speed bike some years ago, very cheap but they were dreadful, half as wide as they were supposed to be and very thick walled and heavy, like riding on chewing gum. A year later I relented and put a set of Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on, which were far, far better.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

niggle wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Ordered a set of these
https://www.vandorm.co.uk/products/vand ... protection

I bought Vandorm 650A tyres for my eldest’s university 3 speed bike some years ago, very cheap but they were dreadful, half as wide as they were supposed to be and very thick walled and heavy, like riding on chewing gum. A year later I relented and put a set of Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on, which were far, far better.

Put them on today -- seem OK and fairly light but yet to get the young boy out to test them. Google classroom, zoom class and today was a bit too cold for him anyway -- just above freezing so went out myself for an hour on my mtb before his zoom class. Off tomorrow so maybe if the weather is little warmer we'll get a run out.
Rmr25

Tyres

Post by Rmr25 »

I am looking at Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700x35 tyres for my hybrid bike and wanted to know what others thought of them. I've been running on Marathon Plus for a few years but now retired and have to watch the pennies. Hoping to do a few short tours this year, mostly quite roads & footpaths. Any thoughts please.
Brucey

Re: Tyres

Post by Brucey »

they are good value for what they are and somewhat lighter in weight than M+. But the are not as durable (I've seen them perish more often) and don't last as long mileage-wise either.

IME marathon greenguard represent a good balance of cost vs durability. They also go on and off the rims easier than M+ too, in most cases.

cheer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rmr25

Re: Tyres

Post by Rmr25 »

Thanks, will have a look at those.