Twenty a day for 2020?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020?

Post by foxyrider »

pedalsheep wrote:Despite the current crisis March has been my best mileage month of the year so far with 1025 miles cycled. The weather has been good, no rain for about 3 weeks now after endless rain all winter. I don't use cafes and the majority of my rides are solo and along quiet lanes where I rarely see other people so I am carrying on much as normal. I do miss my riding buddies on a Sunday though.
Total mileage for the year 1887miles, getting back on track!

seems you've refound your mojo! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Well thats been an interesting month, great weather for the most part and days long enough for some serious mileage....except C19 restrictions have curtailed our plans and ambitions. That doesn't mean we can't get out and i know plenty of us have been riding the deserted rural routes, many of us have seen our riding severly curtailed.

Whilst i've been keeping fairly local i've still racked up a good few km during my exercise sessions, in fact the most climbing and distance of the year to date, just over 14k metres and 1500km. Yep, surprised me too but it only equates to 30 miles or so a day during the month, km just sounds so much more!

The net result is that i'm at 5600km / 48500m for the year which equates to a little over 46km / 402m per day of the year so far. Average ride is 122km / 1058m which given the situation i'm well chuffed with. I'm certainly still on course to reach my years target of 10k miles (16k km).

I've also slotted in a couple of runs each week, its been a long time since i've done more than run for the bus so whilst i've improved over the month, i'm still running like a tortoise with the handbrake on :lol:

So how are the rest of you getting on, are you managing to get out or have events put a stop to your 2 wheel fix? :(
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Glad to hear you are still managing to get out foxyrider.
As you say the weather has been great, the roads are quieter and most of my rides are local anyway (I'm on the Isle of Wight). 1050 miles for the month, making 2937 miles for the year so far.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Ahead of plan ..... 601 miles for April, highest mthly for some years I think. 1942 y.t.d., so nearly a month in hand!
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Just done 606 miles in April, my first 20 a day month for about a year.

What a fantastic month for cycling - endless sunny weather, deserted Cheshire lanes and even near deserted south Manchester roads too.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Trying to average 7hrs a week and work a "par" system,currently 12 over par.50% of the time is offroad on firetrails and ,at the year end,I multiply by 14,counting off road miles as road miles.So we have:56x7x14=5488mls,currently18x7x14=1464 plus 12x14(168)=total 1632mls.Doing it this way measures effort so 12mph into a headwind is worth 17mph with a tail.5000mls ,for me, is an achievable target,year in ,year out without busting a gut,fretting about mileage not done;it,s the effort that counts,i.e.time in the saddle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

That is a bit complicated :wink:
I have a 27 km route that I ride most days, 27 times table is easy, learned it for calculating gears
27x30 = 810/month
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

Just stumbled upon this thread.
So far this year I'm only at 900miles.I've set a target of 75miles a week but usually only manage to ride once or occasionally twice.Now in semi-retirement I hope to increase this and hopefully hit 5000 miles for the first time in many years!
@Foxy.
Your target is 10,000 miles for the year but your other statistics are in km?Is there any particular reason for this?I'm assuming you're in the UK as your location states Sheffield?I have friends who have their Garmins etc set to show kms to be inline with the UCI/racing.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Reddington wrote:@Foxy.
Your target is 10,000 miles for the year but your other statistics are in km?Is there any particular reason for this?I'm assuming you're in the UK as your location states Sheffield?I have friends who have their Garmins etc set to show kms to be inline with the UCI/racing.

Actually my target is 16k km but i know a lot on here might not know what that is.

I do a fair amount of riding/travelling in Europe where its km of course and i actually find it easier to envisage 1km as opposed to 1mile so i use km for everything. I ride sportives too and invariably they are measured in km. Likewise for ascent/descent, i find it easier to visualize 100m than 333ft and the calculations are easier for a child of the '70's who was only taught metric at school. :roll:

The other thing of course is that 100km sounds more impressive than 60 miles :lol:
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

foxyrider wrote:
Reddington wrote:@Foxy.

Actually my target is 16k km but i know a lot on here might not know what that is.

I do a fair amount of riding/travelling in Europe where its km of course and i actually find it easier to envisage 1km as opposed to 1mile so i use km for everything. I ride sportives too and invariably they are measured in km. Likewise for ascent/descent, i find it easier to visualize 100m than 333ft and the calculations are easier for a child of the '70's who was only taught metric at school. :roll:

The other thing of course is that 100km sounds more impressive than 60 miles :lol:

That's what I thought.I left school in 1984 but luckily was taught both Metric and Imperial.I can cross convert easily.I only use miles as that's the UK measurement,everything else I use metric....apart from pints of beer of course!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think most of us are bilingual, km or miles :wink:
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I think most of us are bilingual, km or miles :wink:

I think there's probably a grey areas in the age spectrum.A lot of 60+ struggle with metric and most under 30s haven't got a clue about imperial!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reddington wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I think most of us are bilingual, km or miles :wink:

I think there's probably a grey areas in the age spectrum.A lot of 60+ struggle with metric and most under 30s haven't got a clue about imperial!

I am in one of those groups - 30,+60 :wink:
Had imperial then metric at school, in the UK roadsigns are in miles but food is sold in metric, fuel in litres
Come to think of it, I dinnae what my 49" gear would be in metric, in French it is a development of about 125 cm :?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I'm interested in this topic and setting myself a goal.
How best should I go about setting a hard but realistic challenge?
I have stats going back a few years so can see monthly milage.
Also listed are events/ months when circumstances prevented me getting out for a week or more.

I'd be interested to hear how you yourself set your challenge.
Thanks folks.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

matt2matt2002 wrote:I'm interested in this topic and setting myself a goal.
How best should I go about setting a hard but realistic challenge?
I have stats going back a few years so can see monthly milage.
Also listed are events/ months when circumstances prevented me getting out for a week or more.

I'd be interested to hear how you yourself set your challenge.
Thanks folks.

I guess it depends whether you want a target , eg 20 a day, 5000 for the year, or a challenge that might take you beyond your comfort zone. The first is easy, pick a number @ 95% of what you think is doable, the second could be upping from 20 a day to say 25 or simply plucking a number from the air then chip away to see if you can reach it but don't make it silly - if you regularly do 200 miles a week adding 50 is reasonable, doubling it is likely just going to be depressing!

My own 16000km target was set knowing that i've reached that number the previous couple of years despite having several weeks of no riding (family holidays, illness etc), I know that i can theoretically reach my total without spending every spare moment on the bikes. Currently i'm @ 3 rides ahead of target despite already having lost nearly a fortnight of riding opportunities in March - getting ahead means i'm not stressed if i have to miss a day or two.