I’ve gotten old and slow it seems

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Hudson1984

I’ve gotten old and slow it seems

Postby Hudson1984 » 2 Feb 2020, 1:01pm

My first ride of the year...well first ride in years!

Last time I rode more than 40 miles was 8 years ago, managed 14.5mph average.

Today, 11.6mph over 40. And I feel like death! Last 15 miles were agony.

Granted I set myself up to fail
It’s raining and I don’t have overshoes - feet were drenched by the third mile. Lesson learned
Left home before breakfast so rode with only an iso drink. Lesson learned I need to take more fuel

I’m training for a 100 miler at the end of May....got a lot of work to do! Feel a bit deflated as hoped my average would be higher but hey, only way is up (can’t get much slower after all - be rolling backwards!

Marcus Aurelius

Re: I’ve gotten old and slow it seems

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 2 Feb 2020, 1:05pm

Don’t concentrate on average speed, it’s a pointless metric, it’s too easily influenced by external factors. Equip yourself with power meters ( they aren’t as expensive as they used to be) and a way to display the data. Work on increasing your weighted / normalized average power to weight, concentrate on that primarily. Speed can be influenced by all sorts of stuff over which you have no control. Watts are Watts.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 2 Feb 2020, 1:07pm

Good to know. I mean it was absolutely chucking it down so I’m hoping that slowed me down.

Only real reason I’m looking at speed is I’d like to do the 100 in 7 hours. Any longer than this I think the Crown Jewels will melt.

mjr

Postby mjr » 2 Feb 2020, 1:46pm

If your saddle no longer fits, I'd find one that does.

Was the previous 40 in summer? Winter is slower. I think it is because our bodies have to spend energy keeping warm, which may be worse if your feet got properly cold, plus many of us ride tougher tyres in winter to reduce the number of punctures from rain-lubricated debris.

What had you been riding in between? If nothing, leaping back up to 40 will be tough. Even if you step back to 31 (50km) for a few weeks, I think there's plenty of time to build up to 100mi if you can ride twice a week until May... but getting fast again may take a bit more effort and a little money getting the bike more aero and less draggy-tyred.

Oh and there is no such thing as normalised power to weight and power meters don't really matter outside racing because your target is time per distance not power per weight.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 2 Feb 2020, 1:55pm

Well done on getting back on the bike, and in the wet at that. I wouldn't worry about speed yet awhile - regular riding will build you up again in a surprisingly short time, and getting the nutrition right will help too.

Good luck!
Have we got time for another cuppa?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 2 Feb 2020, 1:56pm

Hi,
The heart rate monitor will be somewhat cheaper for a start.
It will give you a good indication of your effort.
Concentrate on time and effort not miles.
Four months will be enough for sure.
Milage means nothing really in training.
Try to build up to about an average of 80% of your maximum heart rate, for at least 2.5 hours.
Three times a week and will be sorted.

Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 2 Feb 2020, 1:59pm

Hudson1984 wrote:Good to know. I mean it was absolutely chucking it down so I’m hoping that slowed me down.

Only real reason I’m looking at speed is I’d like to do the 100 in 7 hours. Any longer than this I think the Crown Jewels will melt.

If you try to aim at getting your Power to weight at 3.5-4 W/Kg ( as a guide target ) and your fitness to the level where you can sustain that, even with a lumpy course, and poor conditions, you’ll probably get the 100 done in well under 7 hours, obviously mechanicals and stuff beyond your control will play a part as well.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 2 Feb 2020, 2:06pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The heart rate monitor will be somewhat cheaper for a start.
It will give you a good indication of your effort.
Concentrate on time and effort not miles.
Four months will be enough for sure.
Milage means nothing really in training.
Try to build up to about an average of 80% of your maximum heart rate, for at least 2.5 hours.
Three times a week and will be sorted.

Good luck.

Yep, HR and power have a fairly good relationship, although it’s not completely equivalent. Doing it with HR is a bit like judging how much sugar is in a cake by tasting it, Power is like judging the sweetness by measuring / weighing the sugar, in the mix.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » 2 Feb 2020, 3:14pm

mjr wrote:Oh and there is no such thing as normalised power to weight and power meters don't really matter outside racing because your target is time per distance not power per weight.

^^ As above. Never take power meter advice from someone who uses confuses the terminology and clearly doesn't understand it. And the 'cake' analogy is just gibberish.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 2 Feb 2020, 3:21pm

Ah let’s keep it friendly eh, everyone’s trying to help - right or wrong

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 2 Feb 2020, 3:23pm

If you are talking about fitness then mileage is pretty irrelevent. Fitness is improved by using the fartlek method. It consists of short burst of effort during a ride where the heart is working really hard then back to a normal cycling cadence. Hills will do that for you. Lots of hills or climbing out of the saddle and going for it. More fun as well. I rarely do more than 28 miles on my local runs which are three times a week if the weather is ok. But I have no problem going out with the club once a month and riding 70-100 miles. I do hate century rides though. My boredom threshold is about 60 miles. After that I'm just turning the pedals.
Fartlek Training Advantages. Highly adaptable. Effective for endurance training. Effective for speed training. Improves fast twitch muscle responses. Improves slow twitch muscle responses. Great for group training. Easy for individual training.
Nothing left to prove.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 2 Feb 2020, 3:45pm

You say you've gotten old - hold old (young) are you? Is the 1984 in your username an indication? if so you're only a youngster!
Just build up gradually, and has bee said above short bursts etc - It 'hits' the average speed, but hopefully you're in for the long-term gain rather than an individual ride. The main thing is to enjoy it!You'll soon get back into it. Good luck with you quest.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 2 Feb 2020, 3:48pm

fastpedaller wrote:You say you've gotten old - hold old (young) are you? Is the 1984 in your username an indication? if so you're only a youngster!
Just build up gradually, and has bee said above short bursts etc - It 'hits' the average speed, but hopefully you're in for the long-term gain rather than an individual ride. The main thing is to enjoy it!You'll soon get back into it. Good luck with you quest.

Ahh being daft really, last time I rode that distance I was in my twenties still. So not over the hill just yet

Certainly long term is the goal I’m glad I started on a 40 though, bursts I can do on a short distance. It’s the hills that come at mile 35 that are hard to tackle so it was great for mental growth.

Was a struggle from about 7 miles in hahaha

PH

Postby PH » 2 Feb 2020, 4:02pm

Graeme Obree, of whom I'm a fan, says he never trains for more than 20 minutes and that is on a stationary bike, I've seen a film where he does that and it's more intense than anything I've ever done, he gets off the machine completely wiped out. Then, when he goes out on the bike it's for a nice ride.

dim

Postby dim » 2 Feb 2020, 6:54pm

Hudson1984 wrote:My first ride of the year...well first ride in years!

Last time I rode more than 40 miles was 8 years ago, managed 14.5mph average.

Today, 11.6mph over 40. And I feel like death! Last 15 miles were agony.

Granted I set myself up to fail
It’s raining and I don’t have overshoes - feet were drenched by the third mile. Lesson learned
Left home before breakfast so rode with only an iso drink. Lesson learned I need to take more fuel

I’m training for a 100 miler at the end of May....got a lot of work to do! Feel a bit deflated as hoped my average would be higher but hey, only way is up (can’t get much slower after all - be rolling backwards!

easy peezy .... just needs a bit of time riding

do this:

https://www.verywellfit.com/bicycling-a-double-century-training-schedule-3119434

you are training for a 100 mile, so half all the distances in the training program .... key here is to ride in zone 2 (if you don't have a powermeter, keep in zone 2 on the heart rate ...(you will go over when climbing, but try and keep your average heart rate or power average in zone 2 ) .... don't worry about speed, what this program does is build endurance .... speed comes later

this program is very good