I’ve gotten old and slow it seems

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Re: I’ve gotten old and slow it seems

Postby TrevA » 2 Feb 2020, 7:06pm

I had 4 months off the bike a couple of years ago and found that my fitness had completely disappeared. First ride back, I did about 20 miles, average about 12 mph, with the Mrs and she dropped me on every little rise. I felt completely wiped out afterwards.

The good news was that within 3 months of regular riding 2-3 times a week, I was back to full fitness and did a 200k audax in 9.5 hours within 6 months. You don’t need scientific training plans, hrm’s, power meters or any other fancy gadgets. You just need to ride your bike regularly and you’ll soon be back to full fitness.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 2 Feb 2020, 7:15pm

I know what you mean but I find after about 3 decent rides my fitness and stamina seems to come back.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 2 Feb 2020, 7:42pm

went out today for my usual circuit through the villages, 2.5 miles in and going up a 3-4% gradient at 20mph (on a full mudguard+rack touring/gravelly/audaxy type bike) and I'm thinking aye, I'm absolutely on it today, bloody flying in fact, then turned around into the wind and going back downhill was actually 5mph slower :lol:

Don't think about speed or averages, just go out to complete your planned ride, do it so that you know you've done some work without absolutely killing yourself, that means thinking about how hard you go off and of course taking the weather into account. Yes a bit of prep re clothing would have helped but at the end of the day your speed is what it is, seriously don't sweat it.

What you do need to do is take it easy for the last couple of miles to warm down, again, don't worry about the speed, recover post ride paying attention to stretching and if you can a nice massage, eating some protein and carbs but don't overdo the carbs and make sure to have at least a couple of days between efforts.
As we get older it does get harder, both on ride and post ride, it also seems that we lose our fitness quicker than when we were younger.
Luck with your 100 miler but IMO don't think about a target time/av.speed.

peetee

Postby peetee » 2 Feb 2020, 9:21pm

I am crawling back to fitness after approx 10 years out. I have been out as often as I can since I started out in September but with the near constant miserable weather I have not done a third of the miles I was expecting by this time. I have goals for this year but I won’t be put off if I don’t achieve them as I am just loving being on two wheels again. After all, without that, what’s the point?
My fitness is improving but more than two hours in the saddle is still a struggle. That’s holding me back a bit but I accept that after a lay-off people will recover different aspects of their capability in different ways.
However you view your progress just be happy to ride.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 3 Feb 2020, 9:18am

Hudson1984 wrote:Good to know. I mean it was absolutely chucking it down so I’m hoping that slowed me down.

Only real reason I’m looking at speed is I’d like to do the 100 in 7 hours. Any longer than this I think the Crown Jewels will melt.

I did my first 100 in July 2018 on what was one of the hottest days of a hot summer. It took me 11 hours 3 of which were rests for breakfast/lunch etc and a puncture. I was pretty much melted all over by the end....

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 3 Feb 2020, 10:31am

I did my last 100 in July 18 having ridden no more than 50 miles on any one ride in the months previous.
It was a warm day,27C/81F,I was in a group and we did the first 50 far too quickly for me.Selby-Hormsea we averaged 18.5mph :( It is flattish but I knew I couldn't maintain that on the return.I told everyone that I would drop off when I was done....which,despite dropping the speed to 17mph,happened around 70 miles in :cry: I gave the rest the nod to press on and I rode the last 30-odd miles alone.It wasn't particularly enjoyable and watching the average on the Wahoo drop was a bit demoralising but I got there.
Stats:-
103.45miles
2253ft
6:40
15.5mph average.
Looking at everyone else's Strava stats the others finished between 15 and 40 mins quicker than me so a few more dropped off too which was bound to happen at the pace they were going.I was 50 and one of the older riders at the time.Most were in their 30s.
I'm planning on a couple more 100s this year but am already riding more now than I was back then.
Last edited by 100%JR on 3 Feb 2020, 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Feb 2020, 10:38am

I did many 100s in the 1960s/70s as a teenager/early 20s. Not since - and no ambitions.
John

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 3 Feb 2020, 10:53am

Can't remember my first 160k but on my first 200k I screwed most royally up. It was pretty flat so I budgeted for 25 kph with a 5-minute break once an hour, and subsisted largely on granola bars and hope. Ended up feeling sick as a dog and unable to eat even though I needed to, and so slaughtered that the missus had to come and scrape me up 5 km from home. The second one, though... I rode with a group, we stopped every 50k at a café and at 100k for a three-course lunch that lasted an hour and a half. We went over a couple of cols in Switzerland totalling around 2000 metres and turned in an average of 24.7 kph - a bit over 15 mph in £sd. I learned a hell of a lot that day.

I was young then, of course - 56 IIRC.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 3 Feb 2020, 1:27pm

Hudson1984 wrote:
Only real reason I’m looking at speed is I’d like to do the 100 in 7 hours. Any longer than this I think the Crown Jewels will melt.

That’s a pace (a bit over 14 mph) that probably wouldn’t be sustainable for me. Thinking back the last time I did 100 was decades ago with my local club. I would have been in the summer time or rather a day of long daylight availability and we took most of the day to do it. Now what I hadn’t realised until now is that riding with old blokes is sensible ‘cause (amongst other things) they ride a bit slower and know how to sustain a steady pace over a whole day.

I recon that your 40 mile ride is very credit worthy and particularly so as it was solo. Group riding is easier - or can be with the right group - there’s an encouraging spirit of comradeship and you typically slip stream from riders in front.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 3 Feb 2020, 1:40pm

Hudson1984 wrote:My first ride of the year...well first ride in years!

Last time I rode more than 40 miles was 8 years ago, managed 14.5mph average.

Today, 11.6mph over 40. And I feel like death! Last 15 miles were agony.

Granted I set myself up to fail
It’s raining and I don’t have overshoes - feet were drenched by the third mile. Lesson learned
Left home before breakfast so rode with only an iso drink. Lesson learned I need to take more fuel

I’m training for a 100 miler at the end of May....got a lot of work to do! Feel a bit deflated as hoped my average would be higher but hey, only way is up (can’t get much slower after all - be rolling backwards!

40 miles on your first ride in years!?!

No wonder the last 15 miles were agony! Take it easy & work your way up to it. It may not seem like it, but you have plenty of time if you work at it consistently. If you injure yourself overdoing it, it will be much more difficult to be ready in May.

As others have said, don't worry about your average mph. That will go up naturally as you get fitter.

If I have been off the bike for a while, I don't usually try more than 25 miles for a first ride, and that's if I have been doing something else to keep fit. If I have had a medical problem that kept me from exercising, I might not try more than 10 or 15 miles.

If my first ride goes okay, I increase my distance by what I feel I can manage.

I have helped returning cyclists a few times, and some of them couldn't manage more than a couple of miles on their first ride! So, I'd say you are doing remarkably well, and have no reason to feel discouraged.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 3 Feb 2020, 1:50pm

Audax67 wrote:Can't remember my first 160k but on my first 200k I screwed most royally up. It was pretty flat so I budgeted for 25 kph with a 5-minute break once an hour, and subsisted largely on granola bars and hope. Ended up feeling sick as a dog and unable to eat even though I needed to, and so slaughtered that the missus had to come and scrape me up 5 km from home. The second one, though... I rode with a group, we stopped every 50k at a café and at 100k for a three-course lunch that lasted an hour and a half. We went over a couple of cols in Switzerland totalling around 2000 metres and turned in an average of 24.7 kph - a bit over 15 mph in £sd. I learned a hell of a lot that day.

I thought 160 miles seems an odd number to do when talking about 100k rides, if you're going to refer to km can you just write km as to me and many other k stands for miles when referencing distances, the k being for a thousand paces (mille passus) that make up a mile NOT a kilometre!
thanks

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 3 Feb 2020, 2:01pm

Vorpal wrote:
Hudson1984 wrote:My first ride of the year...well first ride in years!

Last time I rode more than 40 miles was 8 years ago, managed 14.5mph average.

Today, 11.6mph over 40. And I feel like death! Last 15 miles were agony.

Granted I set myself up to fail
It’s raining and I don’t have overshoes - feet were drenched by the third mile. Lesson learned
Left home before breakfast so rode with only an iso drink. Lesson learned I need to take more fuel

I’m training for a 100 miler at the end of May....got a lot of work to do! Feel a bit deflated as hoped my average would be higher but hey, only way is up (can’t get much slower after all - be rolling backwards!

40 miles on your first ride in years!?!

No wonder the last 15 miles were agony! Take it easy & work your way up to it. It may not seem like it, but you have plenty of time if you work at it consistently. If you injure yourself overdoing it, it will be much more difficult to be ready in May.

As others have said, don't worry about your average mph. That will go up naturally as you get fitter.

If I have been off the bike for a while, I don't usually try more than 25 miles for a first ride, and that's if I have been doing something else to keep fit. If I have had a medical problem that kept me from exercising, I might not try more than 10 or 15 miles.

If my first ride goes okay, I increase my distance by what I feel I can manage.

I have helped returning cyclists a few times, and some of them couldn't manage more than a couple of miles on their first ride! So, I'd say you are doing remarkably well, and have no reason to feel discouraged.

yeah last cycle ride on the road was 8 years ago and that was 30 miles, haven't ridden on the road since. I've done a bit on a turbo using Zwift but those are more workouts than anything.

it was tough, bloody tough but i'm glad I did it and looking forward to another go this weeked - with more food, and overshoes!

also got a new saddle coming as surprisingly nothing actually aches other than my seat bones. I'm also going to get a bike fit once the new bike is assembled. But I intend to only use that if the weather is nice.

The utility cyclist wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Can't remember my first 160k but on my first 200k I screwed most royally up. It was pretty flat so I budgeted for 25 kph with a 5-minute break once an hour, and subsisted largely on granola bars and hope. Ended up feeling sick as a dog and unable to eat even though I needed to, and so slaughtered that the missus had to come and scrape me up 5 km from home. The second one, though... I rode with a group, we stopped every 50k at a café and at 100k for a three-course lunch that lasted an hour and a half. We went over a couple of cols in Switzerland totalling around 2000 metres and turned in an average of 24.7 kph - a bit over 15 mph in £sd. I learned a hell of a lot that day.

I thought 160 miles seems an odd number to do when talking about 100k rides, if you're going to refer to km can you just write km as to me and many other k stands for miles when referencing distances, the k being for a thousand paces (mille passus) that make up a mile NOT a kilometre!
thanks

I'd take K to be kilometer in all honesty. As it's an SI unit meaning thousand, so 160,000m or 160K, so 160K could be 160km or 160,000m and still read correctly - the way I read it anyway

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Feb 2020, 2:18pm

I've not been well for weeks. Truth be told, it was October last year that I could be described as "well".
Been on - variously - antibiotics, steroids, Sudafed, a strong inhaler, paracetamol, Beecham's Hot Lemon ............
Age has slowed me down. 67 now, and as I'm asthmatic, illness slows me down even more.

Much much much better now, though still not right, but right enough, and went out for a ride this morning for the first time in a fortnight.
Only 14miles, but I came back with a big grin on my face! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee

Postby peetee » 3 Feb 2020, 5:15pm

Mick F wrote:I've not been well for weeks. Truth be told, it was October last year that I could be described as "well".
Been on - variously - antibiotics, steroids, Sudafed, a strong inhaler, paracetamol, Beecham's Hot Lemon ............
Age has slowed me down. 67 now, and as I'm asthmatic, illness slows me down even more.

Much much much better now, though still not right, but right enough, and went out for a ride this morning for the first time in a fortnight.
Only 14miles, but I came back with a big grin on my face! :D

Tea and cake waiting for you halfway if you fancy a 120 mile circuit. :wink:
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 3 Feb 2020, 5:28pm

Hudson1984 wrote:I'd take K to be kilometer in all honesty. As it's an SI unit meaning thousand,
Pedant alert
K (as you have written it, upper case) is degrees Kelvin - i.e temperature and as you say, a unit like A, V, m, s etc. k (lower case) is simply a multiplier and not a unit, same as m, M, G etc.

I get frustrated when I see upper and lower case units being confused (s and S for example) and multipliers m and M being a good example when talking about a computer memory capacity. I have spent many years proof reading scientific and technical documents so perhaps can be excused.