Susp. Forks for commuting.....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BlueRider

Susp. Forks for commuting.....

Post by BlueRider »

I recently acquired a bike with front suspension (Suntour NEX).

Not a fork for downhill MTB-ing but decent for commuting and the like.

After using it for a few weeks, I have grown rather fond it. No more bone shaking vibration or teeth jaring pot holes.

I don't mind the small weight penalty either as I am not racing and my commute is reasonable.

I can see why trekking bikes are so popular in Europe for commuting!
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Susp. Forks for commuting.....

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

BlueRider wrote:I recently acquired a bike with front suspension (Suntour NEX).

Not a fork for downhill MTB-ing but decent for commuting and the like.

After using it for a few weeks, I have grown rather fond it. No more bone shaking vibration or teeth jaring pot holes.

I don't mind the small weight penalty either as I am not racing and my commute is reasonable.

I can see why trekking bikes are so popular in Europe for commuting!

I’m with you on this one. I often use my ‘soft MTB’ front suspension 29 er Hybrid at this time of the year. Sure I’ll not be claiming many ( if any ) Stravasshole KOMs, but hell, riding is about more than that for me. It’s fantastic to be able to jink off of a road, onto a trail, full of tree roots, drops, and debris, and not have to get off the bike. It’s also really useful to have the Hybrid if I’m not sure how the planned route I’m intending to use goes in parts. There’s nothing more annoying than finding a plotted route suddenly goes all mucky, and it’s not easy to get through on a ‘road bike’. A front sus hybrid, with short forks, road oriented tyres, and road oriented gears works well at this time of the year, here in the U.K.