1945 Footage of District Nurse

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: 1945 Footage of District Nurse

Post by Cunobelin »

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Took me a while to find, but there was an interesting "conversation" in Bournemouth about the safety of a District Nurse using a bike.

I have linked the IOSH Forum

A reflection on Society?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

LollyKat it must be the same one but I thought it was earlier. Perhaps 1970’s even.
I had a locum GP a few months ago who did home visits using an ebike of some kind. I think he said he normally practiced near Heathrow.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

ambodach wrote:LollyKat it must be the same one but I thought it was earlier. Perhaps 1970’s even.

I first met him in 1983 - he looked in his early 30s.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

crankypeddler wrote:Don't worry folks. When petrol and diesel vehicles are banned, we will all be back to the good old bike! That's unless we have other forms of transport are invented. I wait in anticipation. Toodle pip.

well it will be electric, but do we have the power stations to charge how many millions of eletcric cars?
so it may be back to the olde Hercules after all. The scene in the film I remember is her sitting up right going up a slight hill, she wasnt happy
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mercalia wrote:
crankypeddler wrote:Don't worry folks. When petrol and diesel vehicles are banned, we will all be back to the good old bike! That's unless we have other forms of transport are invented. I wait in anticipation. Toodle pip.

well it will be electric, but do we have the power stations to charge how many millions of eletcric cars?
so it may be back to the olde Hercules after all. The scene in the film I remember is her sitting up right going up a slight hill, she wasnt happy

Personally I’m expecting power supply problems when all vehicles use electricity rather than ‘petrol’. The bike the nurse used was a single speed and if what I read recently is correct then those with a freewheel were geared at 75”! Whatever, very few of today’s nurses would be able to cycle far but give them a good bike, suitable clothing and some training (both physical and road craft) and we could all be surprised at what they manage. Rural areas will be a problem though, I’d have thought half an hour ride (say 5 miles) between each patient would be quite a normal journey average ... perhaps not the best use of scarce nursing time.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cunobelin wrote:Took me a while to find, but there was an interesting "conversation" in Bournemouth about the safety of a District Nurse using a bike.

A reflection on Society?

Does that forum allow blank lines in posts?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mattheus wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Took me a while to find, but there was an interesting "conversation" in Bournemouth about the safety of a District Nurse using a bike.

A reflection on Society?

Possibly not... As a Loggist, if it can be used in evidence then the habit is to ensure no blank spaces.... it may be from that
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A few years back I was approached by line manager and told they were going to trialling a new 'team' within the maternity unit and that we would be specifically looking after pregnant women within the immediate area around the hospital...... we would be going out to their homes to do their first 'booking' visit and would I be interested in joining them.

I pointed out that I commuted to work by bike and would this fit with these home visits. The reponse was you are able to cycling around Fulwood aren't you it's not far.... I said as long as the unit supported that role, I also checked with CTC what the insurance deal would be.

My bike was not exactly like 1945 but with a bag we put together that fitted into my pannier... I was enjoying my freedom from officialdom within the hospital.... (except when it was a snowy day... in fact come to think of it even on a sunny day).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cunobelin wrote:
mattheus wrote:

A reflection on Society?

Possibly not... As a Loggist, if it can be used in evidence then the habit is to ensure no blank spaces.... it may be from that

Well, I've learned _2_ things now!

That IOSH forum is actually quite useful (at first glance, anyway). Some constructive discussion of things that I am involved with at work, as well as for interest outside of work.
I can confirm that every other thread I've read there has blank lines within posts. Odd :P
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

james01 wrote:Imagine trying to persuade modern medics to do their rounds like this!

ahem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8qKxGN9AI
softlips

Post by softlips »

One hospital I worked at years ago had the main operating theatres in the centre of the main building while the orthopaedics and obstetrics were at other ends of the hospital. To get between the different theatres in emergency’s we used an underground corridor and travelled by mountain bike - except one Anaesthatist who used in line skates.
el flaco

Post by el flaco »

The problem for district nurses has always been transport. The invention of the bicycle solved this problem to a certain extent. A special district nurse leather bag was designed especially to fit on a rear rack as seen on this video and the "Call the Midwife" series.

Interesting that you are all looking at the bike and not the rider!