Hearing aids and wind noise mufflers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
wearwell

Hearing aids and wind noise mufflers

Post by wearwell »

Don't suppose I'm the first to notice this, but yesterday out in a gale wearing my new knitted hat I was pleased to find that the ear flaps muffled the noise of the wind enough to make it unnecessary to remove them, which I would normally do in high winds. Could still hear other noises OK.
This was the hat https://www.google.com/search?q=1898+ha ... e&ie=UTF-8
Might be worth experimenting with other sorts of mufflers if you have the same problem and can't get somebody to knit you one!
PS same principle as microphone wind muffs.
The utility cyclist

Re: Hearing aids and wind noise mufflers

Post by The utility cyclist »

Always nice to have for oneself an improvement in the overall environment, for me I've started to think less and less about and deliberately ignore sounds around me.

It also leads to an interesting aspect of cycling. I believe that at times we can overly rely on hearing when we cycle, whilst it can in some instances alert us to dangers, it absolutely modifies our behaviour/decision making in some ways that negatively effects us, whether that be road position based on what we perceive to have heard and also because we've become accustomed, for those of us with hearing, to respond in a certain way to those sounds.
Looking/seeing through over shoulder checks & general observations as well as putting more effort into better road position from the outset, holding your line and to a degree actually dismissing the noise/sound, which puts more onus back onto motorists, particularly those from behind us - which is generally the direction of sound. It's often a case that people on bikes and on foot cede priority, change road position and speed due to noises we've heard, or think we've heard and we can set the pattern for what happens on the road in a negative way by doing this. It shouldn't be the case but human behaviour and the world we've grown up in and accustomed to dealing with, specifically on the road as cyclists makes us do this.

The way people on cycles and those on foot behave and respond to certain noises and other inputs is the classic Pavlovs' dogs, breaking that cycle of responses is in part I believe one way to make change for the better, if motorists take that every cyclist or pedestrian is completely without hearing and that instruction is given to learners plus the police and justice system take this thinking on board and why then it would be significantly safer for the vulnerable road user. that is hard to break.
Clearly I'm not saying discounting hearing altogether but for those persons who are hard of hearing or completely deaf, how does that effect their ability to ride safely and how do motorists behave around them, do those with very little or no hearing cycle differently generally to others, and on windy days when all you can hear is the wind or when you're in a massively noisy environ with sounds coming from everywhere, how do cyclists block out the noise to isoltae what are and are not threats?

We hear, pardon the pun, all too often about the dangers of having headphones/earbuds etc such that the wearer cannot be safe but I think it's a load of bullshine, the actual mentality of the person themselves and their thinking on safety is the massive deciding factor and of course those with machinery that kills and maims on an epidemic scale, for me the earbud for cyclists thing is another distraction to where the problems for safety lie.
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

https://www.cat-ears.com/

I’ve used cat ears for years, I have no idea why everyone isnt using them, definite improvement in taming wind roar.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Niallmo wrote:https://www.cat-ears.com/

I’ve used cat ears for years, I have no idea why everyone isnt using them, definite improvement in taming wind roar.

Nowhere to fix them for a start.

But less wind noise cause by air turbulence passing straps as there aren't any.

:D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

reducing wind noise is a very good idea, because if the noise is so loud it's stopping you hear owt else, then it's loud enough to be damaging your earing over time. simples. folk be amazed at how loud the roadside can be, or wind.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have a “cycling” programme I put on my aids - it’s very effective at ignoring wind... but a hat is an option I could use in deep winter - else I boil...

Or I probably would, I do actually feel the cold now, which I didn’t used to (after my first winter I ended up with a long sleeved t shirt and optional gilet for winter commuting).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

RickH wrote:

Nowhere to fix them for a start.

But less wind noise cause by air turbulence passing straps as there aren't any.

:D

I only wear my helmet when I have to (club rides) but it does make a big difference being able to hear the person riding next to you. I miss them when I’m not wearing the lid.
nez

Post by nez »

I made myself a pair of these from a bit of faux fur. I wore them once and they certainly worked but they made me look like Noddy Holder under the helmet. "For here it is merry Christmas...' etc.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I bought 'cat ears' and for me they did nothing, perhaps my ears stick out more than they should?
The idea is good, just try cupping a hand over one ear and its so quiet without the wind noise.
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

I use "Ear Gear" https://www.gearforears.com/ - they keep my BTE dry as well!
Connevanshttps://www.connevans.co.uk sell them in the UK
John1054

Post by John1054 »

My aids have a "speech in noisy environments" programme, great for cycling and conversations walking with noisy traffic.