Contemplative cycling.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Contemplative cycling.

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mattheus wrote:Just Going For A Walk is often even better.

You have much less restrictions to where you can go. No need to worry about p**ctures, let alone computer/GPS stats. headwinds become almost irrelevant. You always have low enough gears for every climb.

You miss less by moving at a lower speed. You can creep up on animals that run a mile at the sight of human-on-bike. Dogs are a lot friendlier. I got to with 8' of a couple of grazing badgers once, on a summer evening stroll - on the bike they are a hazard, and I rarely see a live one for more than a couple of seconds.

Try it! Don't stay stuck in one (wheeled) groove :)

Agreed. Moreover, walking lets you get into places you can't really reach by bike without gnarly mtb skills - and even they sometimes require carrying. However, see also peetee's reply. There's not a huge difference between walking and - I'll call it observant cycling - but there is a huge gap between those and driving. Even motorcycling lets you see (smell, hear) far more than driving, but you can't really experience it closely unless you stop and remove your protective clobber.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mjr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
hemo wrote:All my rides are solo and contemplative.

Same here. Whether a day's bumble or a multi-day camping trip. Fresh air, bird song, scenery. My own thoughts or even a blank mind (how can you tell the difference?).

Ah but if you only ever ride solo then you are missing out on the benefits of riding with a group, such as people pointing out interesting half-hidden things that you never noticed even on a familiar route, chat to keep the hard miles ticking over, or assistance when something unexpected breaks and you weren't carrying the necessary effigy/tool to fix/prevent it.

I tend to ride alone because: I can loose myself in my own thoughts, I can stop and start as I choose, I can divert as I choose, it suits my personality, it doesn’t need to fit in with others and I end up covering what happens to be about the right distance for me on that day. However there’s also a lot to be said for group riding too and typically I enjoy such events too. The last one I went on I ended up helping a couple of people, but I don’t regard that as a burden and was pleased to be there for them. Yes, it’s nice to have support when your own bike brakes down and the insurance that should it happen then there will be supportive friends to help you too, but given the choice I’d rather be the giver than receiver.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I usually cycle on my own as much more relaxing. In the past my wife had no problem going at my speed but then we had plenty practice cycling together. Going for a walk is something I miss as I cannot go much further than about a mile without pain due to a spinal problem. Could take pain killers I suppose but I try to avoid unnecessary medication.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to a concert with music by Dave Brubeck, trying to whistle 'Take Five' while cycling, need to practise a lot, alone fortunately :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies