Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mikenzo
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Mar 2020, 6:01am

Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby Mikenzo » 10 Mar 2020, 6:05am

Hello,

I would like to invite everyone to sign my petition which will be very important for the cyclists safety.


My petition:

3 penalty points and £100 fine for not using indicators on the road.

Introduce 3 penalty points on driving license and £100 fine for not using the indicators on the road.

Everytime people don't use indicators it causes danger on the road, slows the traffic down and causes accidents. 21st century and people don't use them when changing the lane on the motorways, making u-turns or when exiting roundabouts causing many unsafe situations or even accidents on the roads and slowing the traffic down especially on the roundabouts.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... aGlW52jSVT
Image Attachments
Screenshot_20200310-055334_Gmail.jpg
Last edited by Graham on 10 Mar 2020, 7:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title

Smudgerii
Posts: 94
Joined: 10 Jul 2016, 8:41pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby Smudgerii » 10 Mar 2020, 7:37am

Should the same punishment be metered out to cyclists who do not indicate? What about red light jumpers, should those cyclists be fined?

Careful what we wish for.....

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 394
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 10:23am

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby thatsnotmyname » 10 Mar 2020, 8:08am

Indicator use, or lack of it, is already dealt with under ‘driving without due care and attention’ provisions, so I’m not sure what a specific offence would achieve over and above that.

peetee
Posts: 1836
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby peetee » 10 Mar 2020, 8:34am

Valid argument but it comes down, as is apparent with most lazy or dangerous road behaviour, to policing.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

RH20
Posts: 13
Joined: 25 Aug 2019, 6:37pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby RH20 » 10 Mar 2020, 8:41am

As already stated, there are already laws that deal with use of indicators. There are also laws that prohibit parking on double yellow lines, parking on pavements etc. It would appear that we have become a country that has laws/regulations that are in place but for some reason we do not enforce the laws. How do you enforce the laws on the use of signals without supporting evidence?
I have recent experience of a driver not using their indicators and pulling directly in front of me before continuing in a straight line for approximately fifty yards. This would be bad enough if I was on the road, but I was walking along the pavement! Illegal but who is there to enforce this illegal action? It seems all we can do is look out for our own safety and hope for the best. Until the laws are enforced, or society becomes more responsible, things are going to get worse.
Good luck with your petition but I don’t hold out much hope for you.

pwa
Posts: 11705
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby pwa » 10 Mar 2020, 8:49am

RH20 wrote:As already stated, there are already laws that deal with use of indicators. There are also laws that prohibit parking on double yellow lines, parking on pavements etc. It would appear that we have become a country that has laws/regulations that are in place but for some reason we do not enforce the laws. How do you enforce the laws on the use of signals without supporting evidence?
I have recent experience of a driver not using their indicators and pulling directly in front of me before continuing in a straight line for approximately fifty yards. This would be bad enough if I was on the road, but I was walking along the pavement! Illegal but who is there to enforce this illegal action? It seems all we can do is look out for our own safety and hope for the best. Until the laws are enforced, or society becomes more responsible, things are going to get worse.
Good luck with your petition but I don’t hold out much hope for you.

Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15044
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby mjr » 10 Mar 2020, 9:12am

pwa wrote:Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

Putting wheels on the pavement is illegal under the Highways Act 1835 s72, isn't it?

What law requires use of indicators? They're good and encouraged but I don't think an unsignalled turn is necessarily an offence because the IAMS drivers are always wittering on about it being a sin to indicate when no other road users are present. While I disagree, I don't think they'd be encouraging criminal driving.

Not signing the petition because I think it's wrongheaded and the core problem on roads is lack of policing which this would distract from.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa
Posts: 11705
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby pwa » 10 Mar 2020, 9:22am

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

I did it yesterday, and it was fully legal and safe. On a long straight street where the lines were probably to discourage parking that would clog traffic flow. But for loading / unloading it is fully legal and I have even confirmed that with traffic wardens in that area. They accept it for a reasonable period of time (could be twenty minutes but I'm not sure), but for the five minutes it took me to attend to my business there it was fully legal. It would not have been legal where there are also yellow marks on the curb. Blue badge holders can also park on double yellows. Just not where it creates a particular danger.

This is quite a good summary of the legality of stopping to load / unload.
https://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk ... llow-lines
I have spoken to a traffic warden to confirm this. If you are not posing a danger and you are clearly loading or unloading heavy stuff, you have a limited period of grace on double yellows with no other restrictions present.
Last edited by pwa on 10 Mar 2020, 9:50am, edited 2 times in total.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 394
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 10:23am

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby thatsnotmyname » 10 Mar 2020, 9:25am

pwa wrote:The law does require the use of indicators,


It doesn't. The Highway Code advises it, but there is no specific provision covering their compulsory use in the Road Traffic Act.

pete75
Posts: 12864
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby pete75 » 10 Mar 2020, 9:55am

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

Putting wheels on the pavement is illegal under the Highways Act 1835 s72, isn't it?

What law requires use of indicators? They're good and encouraged but I don't think an unsignalled turn is necessarily an offence because the IAMS drivers are always wittering on about it being a sin to indicate when no other road users are present. While I disagree, I don't think they'd be encouraging criminal driving.

Not signing the petition because I think it's wrongheaded and the core problem on roads is lack of policing which this would distract from.


A lot of double yellows are installed when local authorities take over parking control from police traffic wardens. The reason being council's see parking enforcement as a revenue earner not a road safety issue.


pwa
Posts: 11705
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby pwa » 10 Mar 2020, 10:13am

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

Putting wheels on the pavement is illegal under the Highways Act 1835 s72, isn't it?

What law requires use of indicators? They're good and encouraged but I don't think an unsignalled turn is necessarily an offence because the IAMS drivers are always wittering on about it being a sin to indicate when no other road users are present. While I disagree, I don't think they'd be encouraging criminal driving.

Not signing the petition because I think it's wrongheaded and the core problem on roads is lack of policing which this would distract from.


A lot of double yellows are installed when local authorities take over parking control from police traffic wardens. The reason being council's see parking enforcement as a revenue earner not a road safety issue.

When i'm just parking, rather than loading heavy stuff, I just park where there are no restrictions and walk as far as it takes. The stopping to load / unload on double yellows is only something i would do when it is necessary, and under those circumstances it is also legal. For a limited time and so long as I'm not creating an obstruction or a hazard. If I see a warden I approach them for a chat to make sure they are happy about it. I've never had a parking ticket and I don't expect one.


Pete Owens
Posts: 1681
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby Pete Owens » 10 Mar 2020, 11:03am

Quite, as I said:
poop poop

pete75
Posts: 12864
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Postby pete75 » 10 Mar 2020, 12:41pm

Pete Owens wrote:Quite, as I said:
poop poop


What on earth does that ridiculous phrase mean?