Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thatsnotmyname

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Post by thatsnotmyname »

pete75 wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:Quite, as I said:
poop poop

What on earth does that ridiculous phrase mean?

Maybe he's hoarding toilet rolls (and he's on the wrong thread)..?
pete75

Re: Petition : Call for 3 points + £100 fine for NOT using indicators when driving

Post by pete75 »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:Quite, as I said:
poop poop

What on earth does that ridiculous phrase mean?

Maybe he's hoarding toilet rolls (and he's on the wrong thread)..?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mikenzo wrote:Hello,

I would like to invite everyone to sign my petition which will be very important for the cyclists safety.

My petition:

3 penalty points and £100 fine for not using indicators on the road.

Introduce 3 penalty points on driving license and £100 fine for not using the indicators on the road.

Everytime people don't use indicators it causes danger on the road, slows the traffic down and causes accidents. 21st century and people don't use them when changing the lane on the motorways, making u-turns or when exiting roundabouts causing many unsafe situations or even accidents on the roads and slowing the traffic down especially on the roundabouts.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... aGlW52jSVT

The link you provide is directly to the sign entry. Most people would want to read what they are signing first but can't easily do that from your provided link. Personally I'd never sign anything without seeing what I was signing.
Screenshot 2020-03-10 at 14.23.05.png

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 10 Mar 2020, 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I wonder whether this has ever been exploited for signatures. It wouldn't be hard for the signing page to have a summary on would it.
PH

Post by PH »

I’d sign a petition that allowed cyclists to throw rocks at cars, but can’t be bothered with anything less.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Postboxer wrote:I wonder whether this has ever been exploited for signatures. It wouldn't be hard for the signing page to have a summary on would it.

Or just provide a link to the actual petition (which for the No 10 petitions includes a button to "Sign").

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've searched the petitions site for the text of the petition and all searches come up with "0 results"

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Stopping on double yellows is allowed for loading, and for blue badges. If it does not create a danger. Putting wheels on the pavement is legal in most places outside London. The law does require the use of indicators, and I wish people would, but usually the results of not indicating are inconvenience and annoyance rather than danger.

Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

A lot of double yellows are installed when local authorities take over parking control from police traffic wardens. The reason being council's see parking enforcement as a revenue earner not a road safety issue.

I doubt that because that's not a permitted reason to install them in the Road Traffic Regulation Act, so would fall at the first challenge and not even recover the cost of making the traffic order!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

The law does not require use of Indicator?????
But there is an offence -*driving without due consideration for other road users??
A "Moving traffic offence" so same potential sentencing for "Due care and Attention".

* only time I've known this applied was incident of young lady in her Mini cooper "done" because
she had failed to reduce speed on partially flooded road and sprayed cyclists.
Panda car was two cars behind.
Obviously car mirrors are available to check your lipstick is ok.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

As has already been hinted at, the legislation is there already. There just aren't enough bodies to enforce it. I an a retired Police Officer and I despair at the way people drive in general. And I agree, parking enforcement is seen as a cash cow.As is Speeding Enforcement. I could give you 2000 words on due process versus negotiated justice (but I won't) . Yes speeding us illegal.But what are the speeding drivers on? Just posting a fine is an inconvenience, nothing more.
I was in a busy centre recently and saw a cyclist getting a ticket for ignoring the lights from a PCSO (I think)? Whilst I might prefer a Motorist to be sanctioned ,the law applies to us all.
PH

Post by PH »

9494arnold wrote: And I agree, parking enforcement is seen as a cash cow.

Not enough so in every town and city I've been in for the last decade. What do you recon the chances of getting a ticket are? I doubt it's more than 1/1000, they should keep enforcing till the odds are the other way round, it's an absolute menace. Nine out of ten close passes I receive are attributable to bad parking, on roads that would otherwise have space for all users to coexist happily.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Motorists like to think that parking enforcement is only done to frustrate the poor, hard pressed driver. In fact, it is essential in order to "keep the traffic moving."
In Aberystwyth an administrative blunder left the town without traffic wardens. The result was what motorists like to call chaos. They should be grateful for wardens, instead of swearing at them.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/8642177/Aberystwyth-The-town-without-traffic-wardens.html
If drivers see speed cameras as another "cash cow", the remedy is in their own hands. They can foil the dastardly police by obeying the law.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:Motorists like to think that parking enforcement is only done to frustrate the poor, hard pressed driver. In fact, it is essential in order to "keep the traffic moving."
In Aberystwyth an administrative blunder left the town without traffic wardens. The result was what motorists like to call chaos. They should be grateful for wardens, instead of swearing at them.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/8642177/Aberystwyth-The-town-without-traffic-wardens.html
If drivers see speed cameras as another "cash cow", the remedy is in their own hands. They can foil the dastardly police by obeying the law.

Speaking with my "motorist" hat on, I have never had any trouble with traffic wardens and I appreciate the job they do. A few more would be welcome. On the one occasion a traffic warden didn't like the place I had stopped to unload heavy materials we had a friendly discussion about alternative ways of dealing with the situation and we parted on good terms. So it is emphatically not true to say that "motorists" (which can only be understood as "all" when the word "some" does not come first) oppose traffic enforcement. Some do and some don't.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Motorists like to think that parking enforcement is only done to frustrate the poor, hard pressed driver. In fact, it is essential in order to "keep the traffic moving."

Speaking with my "motorist" hat on, I have never had any trouble with traffic wardens and I appreciate the job they do. A few more would be welcome. On the one occasion a traffic warden didn't like the place I had stopped to unload heavy materials we had a friendly discussion about alternative ways of dealing with the situation and we parted on good terms. So it is emphatically not true to say that "motorists" (which can only be understood as "all" when the word "some" does not come first) oppose traffic enforcement. Some do and some don't.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't generalise. There is always the odd exception.
In general motorists express hatred of wardens. They are called "jobsworths", "little Hitlers" etc. and sometimes spat on and attacked physically.
This attitude is not universal or invariable, but it is widespread enough to make the job one I would not like to do.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Stopping on double yellows normally creates danger because that's why most double yellows were installed.

A lot of double yellows are installed when local authorities take over parking control from police traffic wardens. The reason being council's see parking enforcement as a revenue earner not a road safety issue.

I doubt that because that's not a permitted reason to install them in the Road Traffic Regulation Act, so would fall at the first challenge and not even recover the cost of making the traffic order!

Do you really think they'd put that forward as the reason?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker