Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Postby mercalia » 17 Mar 2020, 11:42pm

softlips wrote:Central London was virtually empty today. Lovely cycling through.

I have been wondering about London. At what time of the day? I never like going up there becuase of the all crowds

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 18 Mar 2020, 2:05pm

Central Bristol is very quiet for foot traffic; the motor traffic is definitely quieter but not massively so. Everything kind of feels like a Sunday morning (not in a good way :D ) at the moment.

That said, the pubs and cafes I ride past to go home all seem rammed.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 18 Mar 2020, 2:54pm

brooksby wrote:Central Bristol is very quiet for foot traffic; the motor traffic is definitely quieter but not massively so. Everything kind of feels like a Sunday morning (not in a good way :D ) at the moment.

A good thing iMO, i'm travelling up North for a school reunion for Saturday, I'd be disappointed if people didn't come simply because and not down to feeling a bit crappy.

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 19 Mar 2020, 2:25pm

On the roads here it is very noticeable how the amount of traffic has reduced. To me its like it was cycling thirty years ago.
Patrick

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 19 Mar 2020, 2:52pm

Just done a shopping run into wellingborough on my bent trike.
The amount of traffic was more like midnight than midday.
Didn't notice the driving was any worse than normal, but probably just a little faster.
But the roads where quiet enough so it didn't matter.

Luck .......... :D

mjr

Postby mjr » 19 Mar 2020, 4:05pm

It seemed noticeably quieter in most of town today, but the retail park was full of people driving very badly, on their phones or one gentleman was eating a huge floppy pasty while failing to stop at a crossing - thankfully there are cycleways through the retail park, just beware when crossing, even on green.

It seems busier through my village but 1. it's bin day which always causes queues and 2. there's a chilled/tinned food distribution warehouse here and they looked very very busy. Amusingly, the number of lorries entering/exiting is disrupting traffic flow so I can cross from the cycleway to turnings and shops more easily than usual.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mjal

Postby mjal » 19 Mar 2020, 7:15pm

The utility cyclist wrote:
brooksby wrote:Central Bristol is very quiet for foot traffic; the motor traffic is definitely quieter but not massively so. Everything kind of feels like a Sunday morning (not in a good way :D ) at the moment.

A good thing iMO, i'm travelling up North for a school reunion for Saturday, I'd be disappointed if people didn't come simply because and not down to feeling a bit crappy.

Please tell me that this is an attempt at satire...

If not, I can only quote a famous tennis player : "you cannot be serious".

Have you read (and understood) anything whatsoever about Covid-19? Please contact your old school and advise them to cancel this completely unnecessary reunion.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 20 Mar 2020, 12:41am

mjal wrote:

Have you read (and understood) anything whatsoever about Covid-19? Please contact your old school and advise them to cancel this completely unnecessary reunion.

No thanks, I'm not into scaremongering BS, I pass more people in the supermarket in one shop than I will in the pub, people will die in huge numbers today not of COVID19 but of other transmittable diseases, why aren't you calling for lockdown for those ailments which are more of an issue?
When we have pandemic influenza what was your reaction, did you go around telling everyone to cancel all their events or did you do naff all like everybody else, and ignore the risks of transmitting flu et al to others?

When I said feeling a bit crappy I mean things like aching guts, a bit of a headache, suffering a hangover from the previous nights mickey up, then that's not an excuse not to turn up, and yes some of the guys will be on it Friday night as well.

Many loved ones will die, but in the UK as elsewhere, most of those will not be from COVID19, and people will have done next to zero to prevent those deaths, it's only when people are panicked into thinking they are going to be affected do they do anything, only when they are forced do they change the way they do things. Without COVID19 and the words from WHO etc people would be ignoring the deaths of flu, Pneumonia, asthma (over a 1000 deaths a year) and so on.

You do what you've got to do, even my mother and step father are going out as normal as much as they are allowed to - they volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary amongst other places since they retired but it's closed, mum is going to the swimming baths tomorrow for her normal weekly swim, she will cycle to the shops as normal, she will go to the bingo with her friend as normal if they are open.
people are still getting on the bus, on the tube, still going to the shops where thousands more are in contact/close proximity to others, so don't dictate to me where I can go with friends!

People need to get a grip and accept that ill people will die every single day, is COVID19 a killer, of course, is it a bad thing that it's around, absolutely, but the panic/hysteria and smashed economy on the back of how it's been portrayed by media and government/health agencies is bordering criminal for the damage it's actually done and will do many years into the future!

Self isolating will have a worse outcome overall but we'll never know now what would have worked best long term as the original stance has been knocked o the head due to people pressure.
The damage being done through ob losses, businesses going bust, kids at home and so on has already had a massive negative effect, it will continue to not only put people into poverty and rely on the state but it will kill people as the CMO explained early in the week and the reason why they said they would not close schools and not make it law to 'lockdown'.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 20 Mar 2020, 5:04am

I am a bit worried about travelling, if a lock down is announced one might not be able to get home for weeks
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 20 Mar 2020, 8:57am

mjal wrote:

I'm glad someone else posted this first. Sorry, utilitycyclist, but I'm with mjal on this one, m'kay?

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 20 Mar 2020, 8:59am

And back onto topic, as I've said upthread the motor traffic is definitely quieter, and the evening rush hour seems to start and finish much earlier.

That said, I've seen some right idiots driving around. There is less motor traffic and some people seem to have decided to drive like they're in a car advert...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Mar 2020, 9:13am

The times I've driven and been out on the bike around here traffic doesn't seem that much lighter and there doesn't seem like there's any less idiots on the road.
-----------------------------------------------------------

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 20 Mar 2020, 12:35pm

brooksby wrote:
mjal wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:A good thing iMO, i'm travelling up North for a school reunion for Saturday, I'd be disappointed if people didn't come simply because and not down to feeling a bit crappy.

I'm glad someone else posted this first. Sorry, utilitycyclist, but I'm with mjal on this one, m'kay?

No, I'm not okay with you trying to dictate to me what I can and can't do when you have no basis in fact for that, neither has the government, i proved it using their own raw data as to why.
But, if you and mjal want to discuss the ins and outs of COVID itself, take it to the tea room, this is about what the roads are like.
I'm about to cycle into Hull city centre and do some shopping to support local businesses, they need it at a time like this, i'll report back as to what the roads are like.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 20 Mar 2020, 1:19pm

IMO there's a world of difference between cycling into town to go the shops and travelling to the other end of the country to go to a school reunion.

Can't you see that?

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 21 Mar 2020, 12:02am

If the reunion is in a pub it will be closed.