Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The utility cyclist

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Post by The utility cyclist »

Roads just over an hour ago were not far off what they usually are, loads of cars, I work til 11 on Th/Fr, Sainsbury's car park absolutely rammed with queues of people in the overspill car park, I just couldn't be bothered, same at LIDL.
The early mornings for key workers doesn't work for me, as in I'm at work already,, I haven't even wanted to go at the w/e as I know that will likely be rammed with other key workers queuing up as well.
Yesterday I went to get my weekly shop on this, when I saw the queues I decided to go for a quick squirt instead.
Attachments
KTM 6000.jpg
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve also noticed an increase in traffic today. I’m doing a similar route on my daily ride, at a similar time - crossing the A52 and A46 at various times during the ride. Country roads have hardly any traffic, but that’s normal.

I find the best time to go food shopping is around 7pm. I’ve found shops to be quite busy during the day. Passed several shops on today’s ride with queues outside and car parks quite full.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Traffic round here (South Derbyshire) has been increasing since last thursday and is not not far off normal level.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Interesting differences! We’ve been amazed at the lack of vehicles on every ride locally!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I was woken this morning by the noticeable increased traffic noise, funny how quickly I had relaxed to quieter road noise prior. Definitely more peeps about in cars, tesco was 3 times fuller in my evening shop slot than it had been beginning of the week. I put it all down to the upcoming nuptials between the Easter Bunny, and the Roast Lamb.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

There were loads of motorised vehicles out today, one of which close passed me and gave me about an inch of space. No one around the area I’m in at the moment, seems to give a toss about this lockdown, on the evidence of the last couple of days. It wouldn’t be so bad, but where I am ( Hampshire ) has got the highest ( or second highest behind Brum, I forget ) infection rate in the country. Bloody morons :twisted:
philg

Post by philg »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Interesting differences! We’ve been amazed at the lack of vehicles on every ride locally!

Yes, today I took the A road I'd normally bypass for 5 miles, cyclists beat vehicles 4-3 :D
Even got a couple of friendly waves from white van men, might have been amused by the large kangaroo on my jersey though.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Almost no traffic here even on major trunk roads, so not sure what's happening in other parts of the country. Bikes out numbered cars about 4 to 1 and only saw a single white van. Loads of tractors though !!
andy_l

Post by andy_l »

Traffic levels in north Bristol are hugely reduced, but I've noticed a scary number of cars being driven by idiots. Quite a few are boy racers, with loud exhausts - you get the feeling they think no-one's watching.
I've been working from home, each day after work going for a ride to a quiet supermarket. A week last Friday, on the way home on quiet roads, something hit me and knocked me off the bike. I've no idea what, because the memory leading up to the incident and for a few hours after, has gone. I somehow got back home, and eventually ended up going to A&E, and spent the night there. Had various tests, and because there are no witnesses or explanation, I have to lose my driving licence for a month as a precaution. Not a great problem at the moment.
Something, or someone (maybe a pedestrian or runner) hit me, I'll probably never know - but I can't help but think it was a result of the reckless or dopey behaviour I've seen on the roads over the last few weeks. On the Downs this evening, 3 flashy cars doing about 50mph in convoy, in a 30 limit.
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

I live in Cockermouth in Cumbria and whilst there are fewer cars around there seem to be a far greater number of cyclists - we should all be a lot fitter at the end of lockdown! I am the one with the trike with the flag and streamers so if you see me (probably when you pass by) give me a wave and acknowledge that you are also a member of this forum. Would be nice to have an idea of how many active forum members there are around Cockermouth.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Andy_I That’s rough! My experience in SW is similar: nice quiet roads, but more than usually feckless driving from people who seem to think they don’t have to bother anymore, or bandidos taking the opportunity for a little law breaking.

Big shout out of thanks to all the delivery drivers who seem to be being pretty careful and responsible.

I had been thinking how nice it was to ride low traffic roads, but the chance of meeting a sociopath seems just as high if not higher.

One thing however, has become crystal clear: how much cars get in the way of, and slow down cyclists! I’m not talking about fancy speeds, I’m just talking about being able to make normal progress without constantly slowing, stopping, or being forced to skulk up back alleys and indirect routes just to avoid the stress of the constant threat of death or injury.

And finally, I also realise I do a lot of riding on railway paths. Being by their nature fairly flat, it has been an eye opener to realise how much hill I am not usually riding. Local road loops are a much better work out!

Stay safe.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I was out today and noticed a lot less traffic in the local market town, but the number of pedestrians down a small lane (about 2m wide!) was six, being 3 pairs, each walking side-by-side, so I needed to alert them with 'On the inside' to get something approaching social distancing. This lane is only about 1/2 mile long and I usually see no pedestrians. Maybe some think the exercise is compulsory :lol:
I suspect obese people won't take up exercise though :(
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Friday was much quieter then the days before and yesterday was very quiet. I had a VERY close pass on friday despite me and the car being the only vehicles in sight!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Traffic round here (South Derbyshire) has been increasing since last thursday and is not not far off normal level.

I think irs down to bank holiday weekend, more people about to get things done , went to morrisons to do weekly shop in swad and the queue was too the roundabout .
On a general note i have found in general although there is less traffic about the drivers tend to fall into 2 catergories, the considerate driver and the numpty .The police have reported that they have clocked people doing 142 mph in a 40 zone .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

M5 at midday
M5 at midday

The M5 at midday today

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......