Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:Talking of air quality.... I'd not realised how many jet aircraft are 'background noise' constantly even here in rural Norfolk - I can hear the birds singing in all their glory and the aircraft are conspicuous by their absence! :D

More than usual over here near RAF Marham yesterday and this morning. I don't know why. Possible recall of military to assist police if needed?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Quiet roads are quieter. Busy roads are faster, so to be avoided.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peetee

Post by peetee »

Today I did the same ride as yesterday and there were no fewer vehicles on the lanes despite Boris ramping us up to purple alert. There were however far fewer walkers and cyclists. Did see a few drivers taking risks like cutting blind corners, presumably on the assumption that they are the only ones out there. Dimwits.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Numpty on local FB group complaining of more people out walking:

Walkers PLEASE ! Wear bright dayglow kit morning, noon and night, for your own safety, never mind the poor motorist that gets the job of cleaning your blood off their car.

Me:

The danger to walkers and cyclists is solely from us motorists. It is our responsibility to control the hazards we cause to other road users. If there is a need to reduce danger, it is up to *us* to drive slower and more considerately. Drive safely out there.

Numpty:

sorry but cyclists and walkers HAVE to take a share of of responsibility for their safety. By your argument we motorists might as well drive around all night without lights on !!
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

A lot less busy. Bringing back happy memories of the petrol shortage in September 2000.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote:Today I did the same ride as yesterday and there were no fewer vehicles on the lanes despite Boris ramping us up to purple alert.

From my shopping route along the A10 cycleway today, I could see "down" (a relative term, as it's very shallow) into several valley roads. There was not even half the usual traffic on the A10: little enough that the signal-controlled crossings were unnecessary for me because there were huge gaps, whereas I often have to wait 2 to 3 minutes for a gap at an unsignalled one. A far greater proportion than usual is commercial traffic, both HGVs and works vans.

Strangely, the back roads looked busier with cars than usual. I wonder if people were expecting police checkpoints on the main roads challenging one's reasons for travel?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

my scoot around North Somerset today had significantly fewer motorised vehicles and, for a week day more bikes than usual. Yes the % of the traffic that was HGV was higher but thats expected too. When i crossed the M5 it was less busy than i've seen it but strangely that traffic was car biased. The bike paths i used were both quite busy with mix of people ignoring guidance - ie more than permitted numbers riding/walking in groups. Central Brizzle was empty except for Police vehicles and buses which might even be running to time!

As for better driving, difficult to gauge with so few about, but had a few waves/smiles which you don't generally get :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hemo

Post by hemo »

I noticed far more traffic to day then yesterday during the course of my work, with emptier roads some seem to be taking it as cue to drive faster.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Quieter roads today, my first day back at work since last Thursday, however speeding motorists massively increased, a delivery van, Luton box type thing came steaming past in the opposite direction on the estate road doing close to 50 in a 30.

An open top volvo diesel with an older gentleman driver who slammed on at the rbt thinking he wasn't going to make across before I got there then floored it with a masssive puff of blue smoke, I hope his engine goes bang :twisted: Generally it seemed like 25% of those on the road were just caning it, I'm not sure that it feels any safer overall quite honestly though the noise is significantly down.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve just completed my morning commute, and I think I saw 2 cars, in the entire 10 miles, it’s never exactly rammed at this time of the morning, but it was eerily quiet today.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Roads are definitely quieter but I had my first verbal abuse yesterday coming out of Moffat. Old guy ( probably younger than me , just looks old) comes alongside with passenger window open shouting get on the ***** cyclepath.
Dearly wish he’d stopped to show me where the cycle path was. :) Its pavement at that point the cyclepath starts another 200 yds further on :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Interesting times! Out yesterday morning, very few cars - strangely had smiles, waves and thumbs up!

Longer ride in afternoon around and over the local hills, more cyclists and way fewer cars :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Trip across Winter Hill as our cycle exercise combined with food drop off to MIL, generally fewer cars though hard to say as it's not a trip we normally on a Tues at that time of day. Few cars didn't seem to understand the social distancing rule... Lot of ones or twos out cycling but at spread distances. Lots of bird life to see and listen to..... So it was lovely.... making the most of it before the weather turns at the weekend.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Moved our Daughter out of hospital accommodation yesterday morning - it was a case of that (and maybe not seeing here for months) and it also frees up the flat for other workers. It was a shared kitchen, so difficult to distance also.
Anyway, on the road going there, couldn't help noticing the mad drivers (clear-ish road I'm going for it :( ) We were doing 55 in a
60 limit and mad driver (stupid number plate BOSS CRY) overtook at about 85 over hatched area and with cars approaching. Other clearly exceeding the limits by a massive margin, then another Range Rover with private plate inches off our rear. :roll:
pwa

Post by pwa »

The utility cyclist wrote:Quieter roads today, my first day back at work since last Thursday, however speeding motorists massively increased, a delivery van, Luton box type thing came steaming past in the opposite direction on the estate road doing close to 50 in a 30.

An open top volvo diesel with an older gentleman driver who slammed on at the rbt thinking he wasn't going to make across before I got there then floored it with a masssive puff of blue smoke, I hope his engine goes bang :twisted: Generally it seemed like 25% of those on the road were just caning it, I'm not sure that it feels any safer overall quite honestly though the noise is significantly down.

I wonder if a proportion of drivers are experiencing some emotional problems with the current situation and are allowing it to affect their mood while driving. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.